_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What is Hynos?
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi all,
I was wondering what 'Hynos' is, I found a picture on the net and I was thinking of using it in a Vietnam diorama. It looks like some sort of paste/creme (toothpaste maybe???)

Thanks very much for your help

Mark
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 12,719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:47 PM UTC
You got it right Mark : Hynos is a toothpaste brand according to what is written in french on the box : "pate dentifrice" means toothpaste in french.
I've just done a Google search using the words "Hynos" and "dentifrice" and the only usable result I got is a extract from a novel (?) that takes place in....Vietnam

HTH
Frenchy
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hi Mark it must be a similar brand sold under many names because when I lived on cyprus in the early seventies the big toothpaste that you saw advertised everywhere was Kolynos. Long gone I am afraid.

John
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:11 PM UTC
Hynos is a toothpast which was made in Vietnam until the end of the Vietnam war. Google "Hynos toothpaste" and you will get some more information.

Erik
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:39 AM UTC
Thanks very much for your replies guys! I will see if I can find some more info on Hynos.

Thanks again

Mark
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:39 AM UTC
If you watch Full Metal Jacket the first Vietnam scene has a huge billboard advert in the background, always wondered what it was for.
larrybrownsr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
Nothing reminds me of Viet Nam more than the Hynos billboard. When I saw it in Full Metal Jacket it felt like comming home (one of my homes). I spent a total of 18 months there during 1962-1964. I saw that billboard many, many times while I was there. I always thought it was a french toothpaste. They had so many products there. I don't think it was Vietnamese. They had only one automated factory in the country while I was there and it manufactured beer bottles. Thanks for the memories.
 _GOTOTOP