_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Friendlier glue needed
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Well my paitence is starting to wear thin.I have had enough of working in the garage on my dio etc. where it is freezing cold and i want to be able to work inside.What i'm basically asking for is info on a sort of glue that gives off less odour and won't make my wife "deport" me to the garage!Any names of products would be grateful.Cheers,Shay
bbtoys
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hello Shay,

What are you using now?

The answer will depend onwhether you simply want SWMBO not to notice the fact that you are using glue ... or whether you are also concerned about inhaling the stuff...

If the former then TENAX may be your solution since it is very low odor. It is however toxic stuff but, hey, as long as you're careful and she doesn't notice...?

Otherwise try something like Tamiya Super Thin Cement. You use so little of it that there is only a tiny appreciable smell.

Basically using a welding cement should help cut down on the odor.

I recall that Testors makes a non-toxic cement as well but don't know its qualities.

Cheers, Richard
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:24 AM UTC
What sort of Glue? What are you Gluing?

For Building My Mods i use Revel Glue With the needle applicator not much of an odour and i have found it to be a really good glue.

redleg
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

recall that Testors makes a non-toxic cement as well but don't know its qualities

They have nontoxic tube glue in the blue tube. It has no smell but it takes a little longer to dry.
I think they make a bottle of liquid glue nontoxic as well but I’ve never used it.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
I like Testor's liquid glue with the red label. Not the non-toxic one with a blue label. The non-toxic takes too long to dry for my tastes. It's like the old tube glue they had/have.
I also like Tanax 7r for certain applications, and have been hearing great things about Tamiya liquid cement from my fellow club members.
None of these have much smell during use, you would probably want to re-cap the liquid bottles between applications though.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
Revell Contacta is the only plastic glue I use. No odor, excellent glueing (welding) capacities, and just the right balance between quick setting whilst still giving time to fine adjust your pieces.

Cheers
Henk
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:08 AM UTC
Buy her a vintage ww1 german gas mask, should fix the problem well enought :-)

il second tenax, and say model master cement ( comes in a great bottle and the needle never cloges... least hasnt cloged on me) and tamiya liquid glue

Btw, its not like you empty a bottle per kit right? so it should smell a bit, but be tolerable.

eventualy she'l get used to it
Frank
Lucky
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 102 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
The testors glue in the blue tube isn't that great in my opinion. Takes too long to dry, and I don't think the bond is that strong.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 07:57 AM UTC
go to wal-mart look for a testors model cemt pen silver tube black cap in the model section (look around the toy department) I use this for all my modeling stuff plus it is cheap and it works. In fact this is the only glue I use besides Elmers glue (which I use for making windows and doors out of wood)
 _GOTOTOP