_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Bending PE into tube shape
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC
It's for the exhaust pipe on Trumpeters 1:35 Leopold, part no. PE6 if you have access to the instructions. They do provide a plastic tube to bend the part around, but even with it I cannot avoid just getting a straight fold in the PE part. Does anyone have a good way of doing it?

Thanks
Dave
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC
If it is a screen style part,I had the same thing on my Dragon leopold.Is the plastic rod the same diameter as the exhaust pipe under neath?I found to roll the Dragon part,I used a smaller than required rod (think drill bit) as the form.

Join the A Guard!

I just pressed the rod firmly to the edge of the PE,and strated rolling from there.I wrapped it tight,then used a larger rod (DB again) to open it out to the size of the exhaust pipe.

(++) (++) (++) (++)
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
The first thing that will help in taking the hardness from the metal is that you should anneal it.

Use caution as to the danger of heat or even melting!!!

Hold the piece of etch once trimmed from the fret and cleaned up in the flame of a gas flame until it just is a nice red all over.

Allow the piece to cool naturally do not dip in water etc .

Now you will find that it should roll up a lot easier as it is soft. I have the Mission Models Multi Tool, but you can use a similar diameter tube etc. The Small Shop also does a Brass Assist Rolling Set but you would need to use it enough to justify the expense.

Hope this helps and it is as always worth practicing on some scrap PE bits.

John
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:28 PM UTC
Thanks for the help, I'll try these methods out on some scrap PE.

Dave
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:24 AM UTC
I find the easiest way to round out the P/E is to start rolling over it with the handle of an exacto knife on a soft surface like a hobby mat (green thing ) once you see the piece start to curve you can go to a smaller diameter of rod and repeating the process getting smaller and smaller till you have the perfectly round p/e part ..

Rick
 _GOTOTOP