History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
A sety of books I can recommend.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi, The last week or so I stared to re-read a set of books I picked up from Time/Life here around 20 or so years ago. They are grouped in the overall title of "The Third Reich." Each one takes a certain subject--The SS, Afrika Korps-The Southern Front, etc. and gives a good overall view of the particular subject without going into a whole lot of detail. Each one is around 180 pages or so and there are lots of very good quality pictures in each and every one. Every after all of this time they are still very interesting reads, esp. where it concerns the politics, Hitler's coming to power, the reasons things were done and turned out as they did, etc. without snowing the average reader under with lots and lots of very small details that they may not really what to know.

Good stutt for anybody, no matter how much or how little they may happen to know on this subject.

Take care, Larry
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
Larry,
I've always injoyed the TimeLife books. I've never been able to find a complete set for one topic. Mostly I pick up one or two here and there at yard sales my wife drags me too in the summer.
As far as old books like this, I'd recommend trying out a second hand book store for any of you who might have one in the neighborhood. I've found several in the past few years for a couple of bucks that have great reference photos and stories in them.

Hermon
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:37 AM UTC
I also like the Time/Life books. The two series I like are the books on ships and the books on aircraft. I've only got a couple of each but they are usually easy to find at swap meets and thrift stores.

Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 05:14 PM UTC
Yes I've got theone on the SS (surprise!). I picke dit up cheap somewhere. At the same venue I think they had the full set, but it was too much to get them all!
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
I have a full set of The Vietnam Experiance from Timelife books.. Wonderful set of books.. Oddly enough though, you dont see them advertised as much as you used to..

Dave
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:55 AM UTC
I love those Time-Life books. I just about wore out my local library's copies of the T-L World War 2 books. I have copis of the Vietnam Experience volume on the air war, the Old West volume about soldiers on the frontier, the SS book from their Third Reich series, and the entire Epic of Flight. Very good stuff!
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 08:22 AM UTC
I have Ships, Aircraft, and WW2 -- all complete & all 1st edition. They are really nice pictorial references. I'd hate to think what complete sets cost these days ...

John