_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Bovington Tank Experience
ian_reece
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 141 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hello

Courtesy of my better halfs Xmas present, i have just been on the "Bovington Tank Experience", excellent day consisting of driving 432's plus being driven around in a T34/85 and a Sherman. We also got some extra access in the museum (inside a Pzkfw III and IV). All in all excellent fun for those into armour. Plus I combined it with a day of reference photography!

Ian
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC

Hi Ian,

Sounds like a great day. I've never even visited the place yet but I ought to, I aint that far away from me.

Any chance of posting any pics?

Take it steady

Vic
ian_reece
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC
Im going to post on the armour forum tonight with a link to 500 or so pics I took there......

Ian
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Sounds like you had fun The first thing I ever drove was a 432, wow that was a long time ago 1971
Mal
ian_reece
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
hmm, i wasn't born then....

Ian
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC
Ian, have they got the Tiger 1 running down there?
ian_reece
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:10 PM UTC
Re the Tiger, no sadly not. They are hoping to have it sorted for Tank Fest but having spoken to a couple of the guys down there (so i cannot validate any of this) its not a pretty sight at the mo. The engine is off for a rebuild after the last attempt left it in a pretty sorry state as it may have been rushed (wrong oil and not built very well), its going to cost big bucks to fix and they are, as ever, having some issues sourcing bits. If you look in the armour forum ive posted a link to some pics i managed to take; some of the the rear and a couple of the top of the engine deck with the engine removed.

Ian
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:24 PM UTC
They also do paranormal tours were you stay overnight in the place think 1 or 2 tanks have supposed to have had strange goings on around them me and the wife fancy doing one there
Littorio
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
That sound like a good thing you got there Ian.

I might have to get down for that some time, been to the Tank fest a few years ago was great until a Challenger came past with its smoke screen going (fuel pumped into the exhaust).

Mind you I have had some fun at Duxford, did some voluntary work for them a few years ago at the land warfare hall. Got to climb all over the T-72 (at the time new to them) and had fun watching how to get one out of gear with flat batteries and no compressed air.
Worked on the Chieftain and my favorite the Conqueror ARV Mk.2 (got to go around the track in these as commander), helped to change the track on a 432 and 'drove' a engineless Humber pig (pulled by a fork lift backwards) plus changed a load of batteries ready for one of their shows.
Had to give it all up though as it was getting to much on top of a 6 day working week.

Ciao
Luciano
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
In 1976 to 1977 I used to have a great experience at the Tank Museum most weekends. I was training at the now disbanded Junior Leaders Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps in the camp that is right opposite the Museum and as a keen modeller, there was even a club in the training centre, I volunteered to assist in cleaning out the vehicles, where people posted rubbish into them. Well this meant that I was able to crawl around in most of the vehicles, which was very interesting and would have been better had I used a camera. So I consider myself really lucky to have sat in many of the axis vehicles there including the King Tiger.

I dont suppose I would be so lucky now and the museum is a very different place compared to then.

It is a fabulous place to visit and I must take the long drive again in the not too distant future.

John
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:25 AM UTC
wow that is an incredible day out ! I would absolutely love that, so much in fact I'd treat myself to it next month.... do NOT tell my mrs.

it's a big haul down there though. Travelling is not a problem but it's the cost of fuel, my cars a binge drinker.
AVRE165
Visit this Community
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi All

yes i am back!!!!!!!!!! before someone says anything.

i have done both volenteer work at Bovington ,Duxford & Royal Engineers Museum for many years.
I vist Bovington at least once a year if i can. some thing new is allways on show or something which has been hideing for years suddenly is on show.

well a vist to all.
ossie
 _GOTOTOP