_GOTOBOTTOM
Events & Shows: North America
Shows and events in North America.
FeistaCon, Texas! What a day! Please read!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC
Well, myself and Matt(airbornematt) had an OUTSTANDING time this past weekend at Fiesta Con here in San Antonio. Our mission was to collect supplies for the Bagram Hobby club, and while we didn't collect much in the way of supplies, I think we accomplished our mission. We collected well over 100+ model kits for the guys and gals over in Afghanistan and collected $65 for paints and glue.
One particular gentleman, USMC SSG(R) Joseph Stewart gave us $40 and wanted to give us more. He was a Purple Heart Reciepent and was touched by what we where doing. Me and Matt even got a standing ovation at the end of the awards ceramony for what we did.
In April is the show in Austin, and once again, myself and Matt will throw on our ACU's and be there in full force to collect what we can, this time for the Baghdad Hobby Club. And if we collect more than this trip, we will split it between the two clubs.

EDIT: These pictures where taking a little early. I ended up with two huge boxes and 4 medium size boxes.

Here is the final pack up of kits. AJ, I hope you are ready for all these boxes?

The new posing with the old!!!! Yes, there where a couple of guys there all dressed up in WWII gear and they even brought a couple of jeeps and a halftrack:

Now here is a sample of the models that where entered:

Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 06:46 PM UTC
A BIG salute for you and Matt, Pete. This must be very much appriciated by the troops. I'm planning something similar for our troops in Northern Afghanistan, since nobody thought of it when I was there.

Erik
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC
Ok, Gino asked how the show went this weekend and how I did at the show. Well, here are two of the the three models I entered:

First, this is AMT/ERTL SW Episode III Jedi Starfighter. It took 2nd place in the one of the Sci-Fi catagories.

This is my Up Armored Hummer using the Blast kits and the Nemrod figures. It took 1st place in the SoftSkin catagory:

The third one, I want to take better pictures, but i've posted them before. It was my collection of Airborne Miniatures and Verlinden 120mm OIF and OEF soldiers. I entered them in the Collections Catagory and it took 1st place. It also took a Hobby Town sponsored award, Best in Open Class. And finally it took BEST OF SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post pics as soon as I take them.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:57 AM UTC
Good job and congrads. A great showing by a couple of Armorama's finest.

Great haul of stuff for the troops.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi Pete:

Congratulations on a job well done, both the kits for our troops in Afghanistan and your entries.

Are you planning on making it to Houston's IPMS contest March 18? Last year we had over 600 models entered and this year should be just as big.

Keith
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
damn, talk about candid moments on digital film for me lol :-)

Pete, still going to Austin? I totally forgot about the Houston show
 _GOTOTOP