History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Any interest in a "reading group?"
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC
I was wondering if anybody would be interested in a reading group? I've been involved with reading groups on other historical forums and here is how they work. The people interested in the group read a book that has been selected. Then the person running the group will start topics on a particular section of the book, by chapter or group of chapters if they're short. They'd throw out a topic for discussion based on what has been read so far. It isn't 100% required that you have actually read the book, but if you want to talk intelligently about it is certainly helps. Bit by bit the group then discusses the entire book. It can be a great way to learn about a particular subject.

The hardest thing can sometimes be choosing a book for the group to read. Generally the book has to be one that the most people can agree on. For a first group read I'd also suggest one that is easy to read, relatively short, and a general interest type of book, if possible.

One book I was thinking of was Company Commander, by Charles B MacDonald. It's one I would bet a lot of you have already read. It's considered a classic for WWII ground combat. For those who don't have a copy there are over 155 copies listed at an online book search site, www.abebooks.com, starting at $1.00 and up. Plus most libraries normally have copies of it.

I'm just checking to see if there would be any interest in something like that, and I'm certainly not saying it has to be Company Commander.

Would anybody be interested in doing somethng like this?

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 01:37 PM UTC
I would be interested, but I can't guarantee to read all the books

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 04:44 PM UTC
Personally, Rodge, I think it's a banner idea!
Reading groups have always proved to be quite an educational experience for myself, as you get others' input of how they comprehend the written word, which is fascinating to me...I do agree with you that probably the title decision would be the most difficult hurdle to cross, but I would love to give it a go! Let me know if I can be of any service, mate!
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You guys aren't gonna quit until I'm broke, unemployed, and divorced...... :-)

I hope this group gets off the ground. Sounds like lots of fun.

Hermon

Ahh, yes, Hermon... I can understand completely, mate...Just when you think that Armorama just can't get any better, something like this comes up!
Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be nice if we could maybe step outside of WWII somewhere along the lines and dive into some Greek or Roman history one day.

I totally agree we need to do other things than WWII. I suggested a WWII topic only because based on the thread about our interests it seems most everybody here is interested in WWII, to some extent.

Quoted Text

As for my suggestions for a first book, well it's a long one, but perhaps the best "real look" at what WWII was like for the U.S. in the early stages of the war. The book is "An Army at Dawn" by Rick Atkinson.
Another suggestion would be anything and everything written by the late Stephen Ambrose.

As it happens the last time I was involved in a reading group the book was An Army at Dawn. I would love to discuss it more myself but it is rather long, and relatively expensive, though most libraries have it. I think we might want to start with a shorter, less expensive book, to begin with any way.

As to Stephen Ambrose I like his books, for what they are, mainly personal accounts of battles. Not everybody here though shares our liking him. So again I thought maybe a less contreversial author might be better. I'm certainly willing to hear other ideas on the subject.

Quoted Text

"Gettsyburg" by Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen is another possible candidate. Forstchen is a professor at a college right down the road from my home. He has a free history seminar twice a month open to the public and he is truely a fascinating man with loads of talent.

Sounds like a good book to me. I'm willing to take any suggestions on titles.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, I realize this is but have any of you folks ever read any of Bernard Cornwells books? His "Sharpe's" seriese is one of the best historical fiction series I've ever stumbled across. They are set in the 1800's in the Brittish Army and follow the progress of a orphan who joins the army as a private and works his way up the chain of comand. I challenge anyone to start reading any of these books and not finish it in one sitting. :-)

Hermon

Oh yes. Sharpe is brought up quite often over on the figures forum and TV, Movies, Games forum. I've read most of the books. In fact I'm reading another of Cornwell's books now, Stonehenge. Besides the Shar'es series he also did the Copperhead series, about the American Civil War, the Warlord series, about an historical King Author, who isn't really a king but a warlord, and also one, I think called the archer series, about an archer at the time of Crecy. I've read them all and I think they're very good.

I have no problem at all about a reading group about any of Cornwell's books, if that is what people want.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC
Flyboys would be an excellent book for a reading group, though it was very upsetting to me personally. I didn't have a clue what it was going to be like before I read it. I think I wrote a post about it on the movies and books forum a while back. Now I need to read his Flags of our Fathers.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 01:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another suggestion would be anything and everything written by the late Stephen Ambrose.

Can I suggest the opposite? That both Ambrose and Cornelius Ryan's books be 'exempted'?

I like the idea of the Sharpe books though - I am a total fan of Cromwell's books (well, Sharpe at least)..

While we're on the subject of historical fiction, can I also suggest Naval fiction? There are some damned fine writers out there, many of whom are probably not too well known to the majority..Jim
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 01:25 PM UTC
I read Cornwell's 'Stonehenge' three times while I was working in France a few years ago (not much to do in the evenings), and don't think I'll ever touch it again

IMHO it's not one of his best.

The Arthur books are probably my favourite, specially since bits are set in South Wales - the escape from Caerleon in the last book takes place just outside the pub we used to go to, the Hanbury Arms.

The Grail books are okay, but you can see that he got bored while writing the series and the quality goes downhill from the middle of the second book.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While we're on the subject of historical fiction, can I also suggest Naval fiction? There are some damned fine writers out there, many of whom are probably not too well known to the majority..Jim

My comments will echo Mr. Rae's here, and tell you that I've been looking for a reason to read Patrick Robinson's "U.S.S. Seawolf" again...great fiction!
Gunny
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the idea of the Sharpe books though - I am a total fan of Cromwell's books (well, Sharpe at least)..

I'm in for Sharpie... already got a fair portion of the collection, and this will be reason to get the rest... Loved the trilogy set during the 100 year war as well... Grail Quest was it?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My comments will echo Mr. Rae's here, and tell you that I've been looking for a reason to read Patrick Robinson's "U.S.S. Seawolf" again...great fiction

Naw! I'm talking of ships with sails and made of wood..Jim
lighthorse
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:00 PM UTC
Gday Rodger

fantastic idea, i'm in
A great book for you to consider is a book close to my heart titled "Good bye Cobber, god bless you"
which chronicles the bravery and spirit of the Australian Light Horse Brigades at Gallipoli.

The title says it all. Knowing they were charging to their certain death one digger smiled and slapped his mate on the back and uttered those immortal words.

Sorry about that , just got a little patriotic.

did i mention i was in.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My comments will echo Mr. Rae's here, and tell you that I've been looking for a reason to read Patrick Robinson's "U.S.S. Seawolf" again...great fiction

"Ships with sails and made of wood?" When it comes to historical fiction is there any other kind? I'm curious of some of the books you're speaking of. Of course there are the two biggies, C.S. Forrester and Hornblower, and Patrick O'Brien and Aubry. Then there are some lessor know writers like Dudley Pope and C Northcote Parkinson. There is another guy that I can't remember. His books are a bit more baudier than the others. What are some of the other books you mention?

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Aye, Captain!!
"Mutiny of the Elsinore", maybe?
Gunny
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

....snip.... There is another guy that I can't remember. His books are a bit more baudier than the others.

Bawdy is Dewey Lambdin's series on Alan something-or-another (I'm not at home to eyeball the title).

John
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

....snip.... There is another guy that I can't remember. His books are a bit more baudier than the others.

Bawdy is Dewey Lambdin's series on Alan something-or-another (I'm not at home to eyeball the title).

John

That's the guy, and thank you. I'll have to look him up again.