_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
EtchMate or Hold-n-Fold?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC
Greetings, my friends!
I've been thinking of late to make the purchase of either an EtchMate or Hold-n-Fold PE bending tool, as I hate to admit tit, but the eyes and hands are not just what they used to be, and maybe a tool such as these would help...I've read the reviews, and all of the hoo-ha, but I need to know of some modelers opinions who own either (or both?) of these tools, the pro's and con's, and do they really work as good as promised? I have worked with the full scale sized machines of this type in the sheet metal trade, and I know that at times these machines really saved alot of headaches...How about it, mates, any feedback?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
Gunny,

I use a good old pair of pliers for most of my work, but I also have a 2in and 8in H/F which come in very handy. The 8 Inch is really big and I only use it for fenders and long parts. I used the 2in much more, as it fits in the hand, and is just easier to use. I have had 2 etch mates and I sold both of them as I just liked the smaller H/F better.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hey John!
I like the look of the 2 inch hold n fold, also...I used to use the same method as yourself, but alas, it's becoming quite a struggle at times! Especially 1/700 PE...Thanks for your comments, guys!
Gunny

screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi Mark, you got good opinions from everyone.
Just to add, 2 hobby shops in my area willingfully give a "hands-on" demonstartion to any of their cutomers who are interested in buying this tool ( after all it's not a cheap buy ). If your local hobby-shop carries this tool they to should give you the same courtesy.
After seeing a few 'eye witnessed " demos I have to agree with the tools inventors and it's advertisements, it' saves time & headaches with ruining PE,. The bottom line is the tool work's as advertised.
I also agree that it's take's a weee bit of practice to get used to. But as scale model builders, the more you use this tool the faster and better you should become at mastering it's capabilities.

- ralph
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 02:12 AM UTC
I have an etchmate and like it quite a bit.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 06:45 AM UTC
Although I use very little photo etch, I use The Armory by Gauntlett Mr Fold-It PE Tool, for $18.49 (you can pick it up at Sprue Brothers) it serves my purposes fine. I also have the really old Airways photo etch folding tool, but this I have found is really only good for small cockpit parts.

EDIT: I guess the size of what folder you buy, will be in accordance to your needs.
even though I have the above mentioned folders, I still usually find myself using the old two single edge razor blades the most. As I said, I really do not use too much photo etch parts.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 04:02 PM UTC
Gentlemen, thanks for all of your comments and replies...I guess it's a matter of personal preference, eh?? Either tool seems to bring the same result, just different for some as others...it is quite an expensive tool, and I'm not quite sold completely on the idea yet...
Cheers!
Gunny
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I use very little photo etch, I use The Armory by Gauntlett Mr Fold-It PE Tool, for $18.49 (you can pick it up at Sprue Brothers) it serves my purposes fine. I also have the really old Airways photo etch folding tool, but this I have found is really only good for small cockpit parts.

EDIT: I guess the size of what folder you buy, will be in accordance to your needs.
even though I have the above mentioned folders, I still usually find myself using the old two single edge razor blades the most. As I said, I really do not use too much photo etch parts.

Hi Mark, I had to reply again. I think Dave makes the best point in regards to buying this PE tool in the first place ...... How much PE do you actually use ?
I, as some others ( though I do like adding PE and will by the 6" tool eventually ) have gotten by with just my utility razor blades and " flat nose" miniature pliers and have been perfectly happy with the results.

Dave's advice is not only good it's smart, don't waste your good money if the PE tool will just end up being a paper weight on the workbench.

- ralph
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
There was some debate on whose idea the tool was and that decided the issue on principal for a few of my friends.

For me, I looked at the features offered and settled on the large size Etchmate.
I bend a lot of long etch (Panther and Panzer IV fenders, etc), so that sold me on the long size.

The Etchmate has a groove in front of the tool clamping head that lets you 'click' the razor blade into place before you lift. I found this feature quite useful and that settled the issue for me.

Using this tool turns making PE box shapes and many assemblies (not WWII German tool clamps however!) into a TV tray and sit-com level of exercise. It is that easy! I use some PE on most armor kits I build and find it a very useful addition. It's more than paid for itself in the time and frustration it's saved since I've had it.

My US$0.02
your miliage may vary.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 06:03 AM UTC
Mark,

I have the 4" Hold and Fold and love it! I was sold on it after having a wonderfully long conversation with the maker. I have my opinions of the Etchmate.........////// I really like the HF!!! Money well spent for me. I haven't done a lot yet, but plan on it. Some of the Aber PE is super tiny.....and I don't think I could do it with out this tool.

Mike (++) (++)
 _GOTOTOP