_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Whats the best hold and fold?
ww-2buff
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:57 AM UTC
Iam new to modeling and have been doing my models out of the box.But now I want to get into better detail.I ordered A photo etched detail set.I would like to know what the best hold and fold there is out there? For a new modeler like me. thanks for eny help.
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:42 PM UTC
I have the Hold'n Fold 5,5 inch 5 speed tool Check it out here...
I'm very satisfied with it. It was a bit expensive, but worth the money. Last forever...
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 02:01 PM UTC
I am happy with my 4 inch version but that was before the appearance of the newer versions. If I were buying one today I would consider the 5.5 inch too. It is more versatile than mine. I think Alistair from the Small Shop described the usage of this version only last week. You may do a little search for the thread.

You also have to think about the scale of models that you will be building. There is no point to buy an 8 inch one if you are working in 1/72 only. The 4 inch Hold 'n Fold is adequate for 1/35 scale. I can only think of some long pieces like one piece fender that you may have to fiddle a little.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi Erin, Last week I read the thread by Alasdair about the 5.5 Hold and Fold and made the decision to buy it at once. I have been weighing up the differences between that and the etch mate, but just liked the look of this new product. I have spent too many years, ussing pliers, pencils, brass stock and all manner of things to deal with etched and was put off the whole idea after screwing up a cocpit section from a verlinden F18 update that I decided as I was told in the Army as a gunner to always use the correct tools. So I have but must keep hoping to find spares from the Discontinued verlinden update set.

John
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,699 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC
hi there Erin, i use the etcmate from mission models and it works like a dream.have not worked with others so cant comment on them.

greetings jeroen,.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC
Erin,

I have the 4" Hold and Fold set-up and LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/70919&page=1. Same question.

Mike (++) (++)
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
I've got the 5.5 hold and fold from Alistair at the Small Shop , lovely bit of kit, faultless engineering and design, works like a dream....LOVE IT
I was so impressed ,I got the "nutter" from him at trucks n tracks last week one word ...AWESOME does what it says on the tin,but better

HTH
Andy
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:47 AM UTC
Just noticed these 1000 sorrys guys and a thankyou

AJ
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 09:38 AM UTC
dont do to much pe as i jsut recently got into it but the 2 inch bug was great for takeling the aber radio set for my sturmtiger

Frank
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
I've also got the 5Speed. I bought it because of all of the various bends and curves that it can make in PE and wire.
The only thing I've noticed that could be a flaw is that no matter how much I tighten the nobs small pieces of PE still slip around when they're place under one of the inner tongs.

Scott
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 04:37 PM UTC
try putting a piece of scrap PE under the back of the head... it should help hold it down better
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 05:12 PM UTC
I donīt have one myself, but is allso on the shearch for one and having read all the review I can find, I think im going for the Fenderbender from Ausfwerks ... but thats just me ...

heres some reviews:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/misc/ausfwerks/ausfwerks16-04.htm

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1718

Good luck on yor shopping
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
I suppose it depends on what your needs are. I have the 5" Hold 'n Fold and I love it. However, from what i've seen, the Fenderbender is also an excellent tool although perhaps more geared towards the warship modeller....
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However, from what i've seen, the Fenderbender is also an excellent tool although perhaps more geared towards the warship modeller....

I don't really understand the comment that the FB is geared more for use with scale ship type PE...especially since, as the name implies, it's original design was aimed at fender work for armor.

I've used the Fenderbender for 1/35 armor PE, detail and otherwise, and would highly recommend it based on my personal use and the review comments. The link below shows the complex bend capability in addition to what the above reviews posted by MrMox have to say about the tool. I do agree that you need to get the right tool for your needs, both current and future, as any of the available PE tools represent an investment of sorts.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/77801&page=1
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

try putting a piece of scrap PE under the back of the head... it should help hold it down better

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will solve the problem...I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of something like that myself

Scott
 _GOTOTOP