TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
"The Two Towers" is released!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC
Today is Wednesday, Dec 18th. The day Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers opens..... And I won't see it until Monday... I stopped after work yesterday to see if any advance tickets were available - there were - for the 11:30 PM show! Everything else had sold out. Bummer. For tonight, I guess I'll be watching the extended edition of he first movie without interruption.

Let me (and everyone else on the site) know what you think!

YodaMan
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
I'll be catching it after the holiday (:-) . Letting the fanatics get first dibs. Roger Ebert's review was pretty good in this morning's paper. :-)
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 08:10 AM UTC
Yoda:

My daughter is seeing it today (the 18th) at 4:30 with a couple of buddies. She's heading over to the theatre straight from school. Their tickets had to be purchased last Sunday!!!! if you can believe that, and only a few remained available at that time.

We've got the books, the 4 disk DVD set, and of course, a poster on the wall. She's a "fanatic", and gets her "fix" today.

Lord have mercy.

herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:08 AM UTC
The previews have had me salivating.

My wife and I had a discussion about plans for this evening earlier today. There are a couple of theatres in town that are NEVER busy. I just gave two tests, and have those and 35 papers to mark. Hmm, a good movies sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!!

Andy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:53 PM UTC
I just saw it today (Wednesday). It was spectacular! It really lived up to all the hype so far. The battle scenes were great. Jackson even added a few that aren't really in the main story of the book (only alluded to) so it's really jam packed with battles from start to finish. He did change a few things that I wasn't immediately pleased with. But as the movie "tore"on I forgot about them.

So...do ya think I liked it??

Now to wait a year for the conclusion!

Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:56 PM UTC
Counting the days 'til January 6
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:08 AM UTC
Saw it last night (wed.). Got tickets online. Actually worked great! The tickets only cost $5 and then there was a $1 surcharge on each because they were purchased online. For an extra $2, it saved me having to leave work to get tickets and no line waiting for a show that did sell out.

As far as the movie, its one I will need to see again to take it all in. A lot happened. And, the battles are great. Some beautiful photography too. Starting to really love the music too.

I have recently re-read the LOR books and have to say the movies do about as good a job as one can expect in so short of a time. And, the NZ locations are amazing. What a place.

As Jim mentioned, there are some changes that are a bit annoying. Personally, while I love the action, I wish there could be a little more time spent with some of the characters. To me, that's the joy of the books. You really like the people in it. So far in the movies, they seem a bit two-dimensional.

Actually, I just bought the 4 disc DVD of the Fellowship and I think that the additional scenes really make that movie MUCH better. (Rarely the case with 'Director's Cut's.') Maybe when the DVD of this one comes out, there will be a bit more of the boring talking stuff that I like!

Let me add that I think the cast is great and I really like Legolas and the rest of the elves. Gimli adds some nice comic relief. And, even if your'e a guy you have to admit Aragorn is cool as hell!

In this one, the humans are certainly the focus. The scenes with Frodo and Sam seem like they were tacked on, though Gollum is kind of neat.

But, I do think overall its a good film and most everyone will enjoy it. Be warned if you haven't read the books, this one leaves off on another cliff-hanger. And, you've got a year till you find out what happens!!

Steve
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC
I think we will see another "extended version", probably with some more human interest stuff. The first extension added some of this to the film. The characters are well developed, though, espcially compared to most the the action-adventure formulaic crap we usually get.

The filiming was incredible and the deviations from the book minimal. Frodo and Sam do not figure that prominently in the second book simply because the story of the seige and battle are so dominating. It sets the stage for #3... I am already waiting.

Now I HAVE TO BUY come LOR figures and make some vignettes... Aragorn and some orcs with the dwarf.... Gandalf the White on horseback attacking soe orcs.. yeah..

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The filiming was incredible and the deviations from the book minimal. Frodo and Sam do not figure that prominently in the second book simply because the story of the seige and battle are so dominating. It sets the stage for #3... I am already waiting.

In the book, the siege was not such an epic event. Just a few pages. I think the fans that don't think the movie is 'true' will use this as a major point. That action is chosen over characters.

Also, this film left off earlier than does the book. I think that's so that Return of the King will still have some major action sequences. Because, if you just look at the books, you will see that Fellowship is the longest and Return of the King is taken up by appendices.

I too would like to do a figure from the movie. I'd love to do any of the creatures, Gimli, and Treebeard the Ent. I for one like the way the Ent's looked! A little Muppet like but still magical.

Steve
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:55 PM UTC
Cant wait to see it with my girlfriend
Brandenus Pimpus
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In the book, the siege was not such an epic event. Just a few pages. I think the fans that don't think the movie is 'true' will use this as a major point. That action is chosen over characters.

Also, this film left off earlier than does the book. I think that's so that Return of the King will still have some major action sequences. Because, if you just look at the books, you will see that Fellowship is the longest and Return of the King is taken up by appendices.

I too would like to do a figure from the movie. I'd love to do any of the creatures, Gimli, and Treebeard the Ent. I for one like the way the Ent's looked! A little Muppet like but still magical.

Steve

Actually you're both off.

The book is divided into two books and both are about equal in length. Each book covers the exploits of the separated fellowship, the first being the story of Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, and the captive hobbits, and the second of Frodo, Sam, and Gollum. I think the movie actually had the advantage of NOT doing it this way as one thing I can remember vividly (from reading the trilogy in 1978 was that I desperately wanted the story to get back to Rohan and Gondor and away from boring old Mordor. At least it seemed boring in The Two Towers. It picked up towards the end (but of course the movie doesn't cover that part).

SOME SPOILER INFO BELOW!!!!

As to the battle of the Hornburg, it takes most of a chapter I believe and there are actually parts missing from the movie (Gimli's falling back into the caves and fighting two pitched battles - one for the caves and one for the keep, and also the forces that actually completely destroyed the army of Saruman. The trees of Fangorn (which mysteriously travel to Helm's Deep and basically swallow up the orcs).

Cheers,
Jim
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:56 PM UTC
Uh... you can remember this from 1978?? I have been through way too much crap since 1978 to remember much more than a blur... I bow to your superior remembrance and plan to re-read the whole thing soon... at least this decade.

OK, I loved the movie. That is enough... standing on its own it is a classic...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Uh... you can remember this from 1978?? I have been through way too much crap since 1978 to remember much more than a blur... I bow to your superior remembrance and plan to re-read the whole thing soon... at least this decade.

OK, I loved the movie. That is enough... standing on its own it is a classic...

Lance,
Lol...well parts of 1978 are definately a blur. But I should have said I have read it 3 more times since then.

Cheers,
Jim
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:00 AM UTC
Not sure where I'm off, but I'll take your word for it!

I just finished re-reading the books so it's kind of fresh in my mind.

As I mentioned, I liked the movie and recommend it, but the Two Towers does take more liberty with the books than did the Fellowship movie. (One thing that was great is that Peter Jackson chose NOT to include Tom Bambadil in the first film. I think this was a great decision. (Not that I didn't like Tom, just that even in the books it was a bit akward!))

In Two Towers, you have some characters behaving in much different ways, actually going to different places. Read, Faramir. To me, this change is the biggest flaw in the film because in the books it is Faramir that makes you feel that there is still good in the world of men and that the whole quest has meaning. Making him no different than anyone else when it comes to the ring weakens the story. Why take Frodo captive and go to Osgiliath! Then Frodo offers the ring to a Nazgul??? So now Sauron knows where the ring is??? So much for a major part of the story.

Plus, there are some completely fabricated things. Not to spoil anything, but lets just say Aragorn and the cliff. Even added battles that never occured. And the whole love triangle with Aragorn. This existed soley to get Liv Tyler into the film.

And, was a certain race (I won't mention which) even at Helm's Deep in the book??

Personally, I think there's enough in the books that there's no need to add action scenes. That time could have been better spent on some character development.

I hope Peter Jackson is able to pull it together for the final movie. Action scenes are great, but the thing that will be really memorable is the characters and what they go through. If you get real picky and look at how Frodos travells have been altered, there are some major things that might be affected for the climax.

Again, I like the movie and reccomend it. (4 out of 5 stars.) Not as good as the Fellowship when it comes to being faithfull to the original, but some great moments nonetheless!

Steve
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi Guys.

We saw the movie last night. Bitter disappointment!
I may get over it.

It should be called: LOTR:Helm's Deep and some other stuff.

Sigh.

LOTS OF SPOILERS COMING AS I WHINE AND MOAN!!!!!

I wanted more Ents. More character development. What the f@@k was going on with Faramir? The journey of Frodo, Sam and Gollum was going quite well, then deviated (pointlessly) from the book. I agree that Tom Bombadill didn't need to be in the first movie, but Faramir's role has been totally botched here. How will this get resolved in the end?

My wife was not too impressed. She has not read the books, but enjoyed the first movie. This time, a big battle comprised the vast majority of the movie. Her question was "Why can't the women fight?". Aren't shield maidens supposed to do more than hide in a cave? And long speeches while Orcs are breaking down the doors are goofy. And that happened more than once?!?!!! Why do minor characters always die fast, but anyone whose name we have learned gets a big overblown death scene?

The whole Ent thing was underdone. Their attack on Isenguard was the best part of the movie, and was too short (I mean, in Entish it would be a long tale ). No mention of Entwives either. If 50% of the battle was eliminated (orcs die, humans die, other creatures die, nobody runs out of ammo, 'run away', repeat), there would have been LOTS of time for some 'slow' stuff that makes up the meat of these two books.

Gollum was cool. Very well done, and along with the Ents, the watchable part of the film.

I can't believe all the reviewers are giving this 10/10. It's not a horrible movie, but a serious let down after the first!!!

Okay, arm phasers, I'm ready...

Andy

PS ...and don't get me started on Star Trek: Nemesis. THAT movie really sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC
Damn...and I thought I was overly critical of movies.

Speaking as someone who was a little disappointed with the first film and it's deviations from the book (some major and not just TB), I finally resolved myself that to truly make a film adaptation that was faithful to the book would require 3 movies of about 8 hours in length each. Not going to happen. So I guess that let me enjoy watching The Two Towers without getting too peeved about Faramir's initial reaction to the ring (he does come through in the end after all), or the lack of the true cliff-hanger of the TTT which was a little more powerful than just then end of the battle at Helm's Deep. The Ent scenes seemed porportional to me and remember Tolkien only discusses the Breaking of Isengard in a second-hand story from Merry, Pippen, and Treebeard. Much better to see it first-hand.

Steve - to be clear I was talking about your "few pages" comment regarding the battle of Helm's Deep. It was a lot longer in the book than that.

Cheers,
Jim
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn...and I thought I was overly critical of movies. ...

Hi Jim

We watch A LOT of movies. It has soured me on the vast majority of blockbusters!
I don't mind them changing the story if it makes sense. As I recall, doesn't Faramir have a big role by the end? And isn't he someone's spouse to be? All of that is going to be harder to set up now. The 'guerilla' tactics he and his band were using were shown well, but I'm not sure the politics of the situation are represented well. I guess the 8 three hour movies will never happen (Band of Brothers of the Ring??), but I'm amazed what they choose to keep/change/drop.

The graphics are great, and Gollum is as close to living as CGI has gotten yet.

Andy
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:01 AM UTC
I thought the movie was fantastic. But I am of the mind-set going in, that the movie is not going to follow the book word for word. I love LOTR, but to be honest with you, I don't want to watch character development for three hours, I can re-read the trilogy if I want that. I go because I want to see big, bold and brash. I want to see an army of 10,000 marching across the screen and feel the thunder of their steps. And, like it or not, the majority of movie-goers are of the same mind-set. Therefore, a happy medium must be made between, those who want to be completely faithful to the written works, and those who want the action. I feel that Jackson has found that happy place.

I thought the interaction between Gollum and Frodo and Sam was great. The discussion Gollum had with himself was fantastic. How amazing is CG? The facial movements and chareteristics of Gollum were superb. Much better than anything I have seen from the new Star Wars trilogy.

Don't let nay-sayers get you down. This is a must see movie! For three hours you will forget about everything else in the world. You will become immersed in Middle-Earth. The only negative thing I can think about this movie is that it ended.

Stuke
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:26 AM UTC
Howdy! You guys are scaring me. I am a huge fan of the books, read them when I was a youngster in the 80's and have re read then prob 20 times since. I loved the first movie and fully understand that you have to cut things to make it reasonable for a movie. Personally i thought the ENTS might not make it to a "hasty movie". But the stuff you guys are saying about Faramir is bothering me. One of my fav parts of the books is the contrast between faramir and boromir. When faramir tells Frodo "where I to find it on the side of the road..etc." Those few pages of the book really illustrate the best in men and the esssence of the character of faramir.
I don't mind leaving things out or condensing things but from what you guys are saying it sounds like Jackson has changed faramir's character. That's very wrong. Aside from Sam he was one of my fav characters. Oh well I guess when i see it this weekend I'll find out. Sorry about the non modeling rant, but I am a huge RINGS fan.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of my fav parts of the books is the contrast between faramir and boromir. When faramir tells Frodo "where I to find it on the side of the road..etc." Those few pages of the book really illustrate the best in men and the esssence of the character of faramir.

Well, I think that's a favorite part for many people and Faramir is a much-loved character.

In this version, Faramir is a duplicate of Boromir (though not quite as smart it seems). So I do think Peter Jackson made a mistake here. He does let Frodo and Sam go, but certainly does not 'illustrate the best in men' as you say.

Obviously, you need to make changes, and in FotR they made a very good adaptation. Meaning the characters were, for the most part, 'true.'

Faramir's changes may be fine for a fan of the films, but those who know the books may be troubled by this one.

I think in general you will like the movie for what it is, but will probably be let down by some of the bigger alterations.

Maybe I was so pleased with the recent extended DVD of FotR that TT's changes bothered me.

Steve
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the movie was fantastic. But I am of the mind-set going in, that the movie is not going to follow the book word for word. I love LOTR, but to be honest with you, I don't want to watch character development for three hours, I can re-read the trilogy if I want that. I go because I want to see big, bold and brash. I want to see an army of 10,000 marching across the screen and feel the thunder of their steps. And, like it or not, the majority of movie-goers are of the same mind-set. Therefore, a happy medium must be made between, those who want to be completely faithful to the written works, and those who want the action. I feel that Jackson has found that happy place.

I must be old-fashioned! I prefer good story over action anyday.

But, to have both, now that's the best. And, for me, the extended DVD of LotR was as close to that balance as you can get!

TT had action added just so there would be more swordplay.

Helm's Deep was good in the film, but not up to the hype the critics have been heaping upon it. And some of the changes of who is there and what happens during the battle detract from it. Personally, I didn't feel as if the danger was that great. And, they did leave the end of the battle just hanging. There still were thousands of Orcs when the cavalry rode in...

One nice touch to make if from the book was the 'running count' by Gimli and Legolas. Their relationship is one of my favorite parts of the books and I like to see that coming out in the movies.

For me, the best battle scenes still are in the movie Zulu! No CGI there!

But, I do think they are spending a bit too much time on the 'big people' of Middle Earth. The Hobbits get second billing in this one. Frodo is too psycho for me.

Steve

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
So, 4 days after the release and I still haven't seen the movie!
I tried to get tickets Tuesday night, but everything for the 18th was sold out. (guess I should've tried a bit earlier, eh?) Couldn't get to it over the weekend, but I'm seeing it with my brother 12:15 PM on Monday! Woo hoo!
Now, if I would just get over this darn virus... (sore throat, cough, etc...)

One thing I look forward to is the humor from Gimli. ...something about being tossed...

YodaMan
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:18 PM UTC
I went and saw it Friday night and liked it very much. While there were things different from the book, I think the movie still portrayed what Tolkien wrote. The CGI was totally awesome as well as the fight scenes.

I thought that by far the best part of the movie was the internal struggle between Smeagol and Gollum. Unless you've read the books, the obvious struggle going on doesn't make much sense but if you have you can really see the split in the personality created by holding the ring for 500 years. A very well done piece.

On a seperate note, for those of you who have the extended DVD, is it worth getting if I just have the reagular DVD? Thanks.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On a seperate note, for those of you who have the extended DVD, is it worth getting if I just have the reagular DVD? Thanks.

Yes, yes, and yes!

The extended scenes are great, I think there are four additional audio tracks, and the 'making of' dics are good too. Normally, I never watch all of those 'added' features, but with this one I actually enjoyed them.

Steve
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 04:37 AM UTC
what are u talking about guys? here in romania it will come just n JAnuary Or feb. So i bought the dVd from a friend in Germany and i will see it next week