_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Well ventilated
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC
I plan on doing some modeling projects with my ten year-old daughter and I am wondering what the glue manufacturers mean by a 'well ventilated' space. My worksop is in my walk out basement so it gets some air infiltration around the door and windows but what more should I do? Would just a small pedistal fan to circultae the air be enough? Should I vent to the outside in the area in which we will be doing most of our glueing? I will get/make a spray booth and vent it to the outside but I am unsure about the glue fumes.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:19 AM UTC
My shop is my garage, a big 3 car version with a workbench at one end. I wouldn't imagine a basement would be that much different. If I need to 'vent' stuff, paint, glue etc. I have a small fan that I turn on to suck the air away from me and the bench. With the space in the overall garage I never smell fumes.
Short answer, you may be fine with a small fan keeping the air moving. Give it a try for a short amount of time and see if you smell fumes or not before you go for long periods of work.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
Here's my test for ventilation. Can I smell the paint or glue ten minutes after I use it. I will use some and then go outside for ten minutes to clear my nose of the smell, since you will just become used to the smell if you stick around. When I come back in I will take a whiff of the air. If I still smell it, then I know it is not ventilated welll enough, and will try harder. If I don't smell it, then it is good enough for me.

Rob
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
Even in a confined space, As long as you keep the glue paint etc... covered when not in use
The fumes aren't really noticable.

Matt
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi.

Use a small fan or something.
a) what you don't smell can still be killing you (odorless thinner for example)
b) (and the reason you are asking) developing brains are more sensitive to toxins

Rob's point is important. We adapt to bad odors fast. That means it's still there, you just don't smell it.
Basements are not generally well ventilated, so a fan or fume extractor is a good idea.

Cheers
Andy
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
Glue is good for getting high atleast thats what my girlfriend thinks I see other uses for it.
Brandenus pimpus
 _GOTOTOP