_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Blue foam
bowlpuncher
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:03 AM UTC
Would like to know if anyone here has used the blue foam in scratch building other than ground cover and how to you finish and paint it?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
The Insulation board?? it's also Pink.... use a white glue mix and cover with you're groundwork........
bowlpuncher
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC
yes the same stuff i have heard of some that use it to make models from ground up. can you glass the stuff? i have seen a page where one person had made a russin sub out carved of out it but did not go into how he cover and finished the foam.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
Be sure to test any paints on the foam. I think only enamels work on the foam. Others melt it away.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 05:57 AM UTC
About common foams-Styrene foam is the most common.Used for packing block,insulation,beach toys,coolers,arts and crafts,etc. Avoid using petroleum based solvents,paints,and resins directly on them.The foam will melt and dissolve.You can paint a coat of common latex house paint on it no problem.After it drys,prime and paint with anything you want.Be careful with resins though as the heat from the curing stage can melt it out of shape.
Polyurethane foam is used for surfboard cores and readily accepts resins and any paint.Much more expensive though.You would have to probably get stock sheets or slabs from industrial plastics distributers.
cheers!
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hi Victor,
I scratched a bunker out of the blue insulation foam, it was the really dense stuff, not the normal styrofoam. It was really easy to work with, cut, and even sanded up very nicely.
You can use acryllics on it with no problem, no real need to prime, just brush or airbrush on your colour. Even put an artist oil wash with no harm done. But the thinner I used is a non toxic one, so I wouldn't try using paint thinner or solvents on it..it'll melt!
Here's a couple pics of the bunker I made....
Cheers,
Kelly

bowlpuncher
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 09:32 AM UTC
thaks kelly and great job on that Dio! did you carve the brick or didyou use heat?
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi Victor,
All I did for this one was take a square piece of the foam, I beleive it was two inches thick, and took it to my old man's work shop, and used his chop saw at a 45 degree angle, cut the front to the angles. Pieces of little stock were then cut to fit around the top and glued down with straight white glue. I sanded the edges, painted the whole thing with craft acryllic grey, and then put a striaght black artist oil wash over top. I made the stairs by taking another piece of foam, and cut out the stairs using a razor saw. When I tried to pry apart the two cut sections, some broke off, but that turned out good, because it replicated broken concrete!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

yes the same stuff i have heard of some that use it to make models from ground up. can you glass the stuff?

Yes you can. In 1983, Popular Mechanics offered for sale plans to make a car using the foam board with fiberglass.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 03:06 AM UTC
ya can get big pieces of foam from appliance stores, and its usually free, as its the packing material for large tv's and such........

reb
 _GOTOTOP