_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Decals
Trouble with decals?
How good is Quartermaster Depot decals??
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hi guys,

i just found this decal which, the company is new to me. Are they good.??
Actually i was looking for cheap archer fine transfer uniform insignia and at the same time this decal came out in the search.
They have a few set for SS uniform. But they are not dry transfer just like that of AFT. I think they're water slide ..and made in Canada.

any one have experience using this decal??

hope to get as many input..

thanks
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 05:53 AM UTC
I like the decals I've gotten from them. Clearly in register, accurate colors and easy to apply. I recommend them.

Gunnie
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 08:05 AM UTC
Unlike Jim, I have not had much success with these decals. Most of it is my fault, I treated them as regular decals and ruined my Canadian Leopard in the process. These decals are not easy to use, but given the proper technique will work.

They do not set over raised detail and need a strong setting solution to contour them to the surface. The problem lies in that they do not have any protective coating over the decal, and any adjusting with a soft brush will destroy the marking and ruin the decal, additionally, any use of a setting solution will also lift off the decal from the film.

What you need to do is apply a protective coating over the decal sheet prior to using them. This should allow you to use them.

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 08:33 AM UTC
Jim and Frank,

thanks for you feedback.

Frank, are they water slide decal?? or diffrent type of decal??

if they're hard to comform to complex surface then i think this is no good to me. Basically, i need the little shoulder/collar insignia for waffen-ss. so far that i know only archer made them in dry transfer.
and frank ,since u said they will destroy over adjusting with brush, i may avoid this product..

thanks mate!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 04:12 PM UTC
They are water slide. Ultimately, you need to use them to make up your own mind on the quality, purchase one of them, and let us know how it worked for you.

Frank
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi,
I have had a few problems applying them, I think i tried to use them like regular decals. What is the best way to use them. I am trying to put on SS armbands and collar ranks. HELP!

Chris- SS nut in Minnesota
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
I personally like this company's decals, especially since they are based in Ottawa and shipping is like 50 cents a sheet for me :-). I havent had problems with these except for once when I wasnt paying attetion and cut one in half

They are water-slide transfers. I had no problem applying them to uneven surfaces. I had the modern US infantry patches and the US WW2 set for ranks, and had no trouble applying them to sleeves, even when they were really uneven. Sleeves up or down, they went smoothly onto my figures and formed correctly, at least for me. But as it has been said, you really have to judge for yourself.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
I have only used their decals once but cannot say enough good things abought the company. The first sheet i got (Canadians Shermans in Korea) was overscale. I e-mailed them and within days I had areplacement (correct scale) plus a bunch of their other products for my "troubles". If you have a problem let them know. Excellent customer service!
 _GOTOTOP