Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
UK Army anyone?
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:38 AM UTC
Anyone ever served or is serving in the Army? I'm really thinking of joining but all my relatives say its really stupid of me. Is it really as good as its put out to be?

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
I served for 24 years in the Royal Engineers, 2 years boys service and a full 22 year career. It was great, but it is not always plain sailing and you have to take the rough with the smooth. It is far btter than life in civilian employment though because you can trust the people around you to do their job.
If you do join be prepared to give it everything and more, aim to do the best you possibly can and you will reap the rewards. It will change you (for the better) and you family will be amazed at the new you, they will also be very proud. Make no mistake though we, and particularly soldiers, live in dangerous times, but your training will help you to prevail.
Go and see the guys at the recruiting office and get the info.
Mal
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:52 PM UTC
I joined at 16 and done 8 years inc 5 overseas I'm now in the TA , The Army's what you make it you will only get out of it what you are prepared to put into it. If you can try and learn a trade out of it family won't think it's a daft idea if you qualify to be an aircraft tec working on Lynx/apache ect. dont feel pressured into it only do it if you want to. you will find that things like driving licences ect you will get for free same with further education and civilian qualifactions, also the chance to do sport/vist places for a fraction of the price of what it costs in civi street.
and you will defo be a much more confident person for doing it also when you leave you'll stand a better chance of getting a job
due to your background.
Like Mal said theres rough with the smooth it's part of every job and there will be times when you wil think why the hell am I doing this...any ideas what you want to do?
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hey Scott,
As has already been said this is a big choice and you should give it lots of thought. I am currently serving and have been for ten years. Once you have decided to join the most important thing is to choose the right job for you. Many a good soldier leaves the army because they made a bad choice at the recruiting office. I can wholly recomend the REME but then I am bias.
Look at the Army as not a new job or a career but as a whole new life. Days at work can either be very challenging or very easy, other wild nights out will seem tame after by comparison and the word mate will take on a new meaning.
As for the Army being an uncaring world, basic training is geared to passing people and there is lots of support to ensure this. And compare these points and then think of another job where this would happen;
A friend of mines child is disabled his regiment bought him a top of the range computer to help his learning and moved to a bigger house so he could have his own physio room.
Another blokes wife had a stroke this guy had a year of work on full pay to care for here
Unfortunately a guy I knew was killed in Iraq, the Army organised and paid for the funeral, ensured his wife had a house and helped her move and settle and she recieved a large sum of cash and will get his pension. Now I know this doesn't replace her husband but it is better than a condolence card and a wreath.
Any idea on the regiment you are thinking of joining?
If you join the infantry I'll see you there as that is my current posting is at the training depot.
Cheers
Robbo
PS, Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat about anything to help you make your choice.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
Scott,
Ihave had a total of over 40 years in the "green"...from Cadet s...Territorial's ......regular service and back to TA ....so I can honestly say that if you feel so strongly about joining the"mob"...fist try the TA and see how it shapes up..also good grounding for basics --see what is local
I went to TA after cadets to the local unit which was Armoured cars ----then on tthe "parent "Regiment on tanks ---rejoined and went to REME as an instructor at the Depot and finished with HQ TA as a WO11 --
There are good times --there are very good times and (such is life) absolutely horible times ..but at the end, all things being equal , is a better person who can deal with life matters efficiently and with confidance...and possibly "Trade"skills
The thing to remember ......."work hard --play hard and never ever lose your sense of humour"
As REMEARMR says----if you wish to get in touch ---we are both on the end of the "air-waves"
Good Luck
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 08:04 PM UTC
Joined 1982, got paid to go to:

Edinburgh, Falklands, Ascenion Islands, England, Northern Ireland, Inverness, Dakar, Kenya, Belize, Mexico, West Germany (as it was back then), Austria, Holland, France, Canada and America.

As I said, they PAID me to go to these places. Some of it was fabulous, some of it was horrendous. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Still working for British Forces Germany but not in a "canny see me" suit anymore, a long time civvie now.

Go for it! You won't lose anything and many employers like ex Military as they're (generally) very reliable and hard working and can be trusted to do the job.

A little p.s. It's not the UK Army, it's the British Army. Sorry, a little thing that niggles me.
squidgy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 147 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC
hi mate,

i joined up in 1983 as a junior leader in the royal signals, training was hard , lots of spit and polish, yes sir no sir etc, but i turned out so much better for it, trained in comms, (make sure you chose a trade that will give you something to fall back on, if you don't intend to be a lifer,) now working for the phone company in canada, travelled all over, some nice places, some not so nice, probably the best 13 years of my life, my son has joined the army reserves and is loving it, if i could wind back the clock i would do it all over again, best of luck
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2007 - 02:38 PM UTC
First off I was never in the British Army. I did at one time have a Sgt, under my command who had servred in the British army, before becoming a US citizen. All I can say if all the British Army is as good as he is then you'll have made the best choice of your life.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 05:48 AM UTC
1964. Junior Leaders Regiment RAC for 21/2 years then joined my chosen regiment's C Squadron in Borneo, we then joined the main regiment in Malaysia, went to Hong Kong and Singapore.
Vehicles crewed, Ferret, Saladin and Saracen.
Back home to the regimental home in Windsor and did Armoured recce in the newly formed AMF(L), Norway, Denmark, Turkey and Greece. Then five years on horses (Ceremonial) in Knightsbridge and back to Windsor on Recce. (CVR(T) Scorpion and Scimitar and CVR(W) Fox.
UN Cyprus (force reserve Sqn.)
Then BAOR, Detmold on Chieftain and Challenger 1...Canada (BATUS) Safety Staff, Battle Group training.

Guards Depot Drill and small arms instructor. Gunnery Instructor MBT and CVR. NBC instructor, counter surveillance instructor...Ski Instructor.

The chance to pursue many sports and see different cultures and places is hard to beat. As long as you remember, you are joining with the possibility (Great possibility) of being put in harms way, then go for it, but don't complain after you have signed on the dotted line and taken the Queens shilling!

Now hanging my hat in South Carolina. Retired hobby shop owner, married to the best wife any man could wish for.

Keith.
A shed, (workshop) full of built and unbuilt models. Heaven indeed.