History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
This date in history Feb 12
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
On this day in History:

In 1941 German General Erwin Rommel arrives in Libya to command the Africa Corps. If anybody is interested there is a thread going on right now about Greatest Blunders of WWII. The German presence in Africa is being debate. Check it out.

In 1973 American POWs begin to be released by the Vietnamese to fulfill terms of the Paris peace treaty.

I really hesitated to mention this one because it can be such a political "hot potato." I just don't want to make these posts too PC. In 1999 American president Bill Clinton is acquitted in his impeachment trial. One comment here. So many people have the idea that because he was acquitted that means he wasn't impeached. Being impeached is like being indicted. Both Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were impeached, both were also acquitted.

Born on this date:

Abraham Lincoln. Many people make much of some coincidences between Lincoln and Kennedy. I myself have a more person coincidence. My best friend in High School and College was Dave Kennedy, who was born on Lincoln's birthday. Lincoln is my wife's personal hero.

Actress Christina Ricci

Author Judy Blume

Athlete Bill Russell

Naturalist Charles Darwin

Actor Lorne Greene. Like most people of my generation I grew up watching Greene in Bonanza every Sunday night.

Entertainer [auto-censored]nio Hall

As always if you have any comments on any of these stories make them here.