_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hobby shops in Manhattan?
Ratel
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC
I will be visiting New York next week on a family holiday and was wondering if there were any hobby shops in the Manhattan vicinity worth visiting for an hour or two, if I can slip away un-noticed. My current interests are contemporary US armour, soft skins and figures, specifically with regard to OIF. Obviously, we can get most of the main stream stuff here in the UK, so would be particularly interested in any shop that might have resin, photo etched or other accesories and add ons, etc. Although mail order and the internet have shrunk the world, there is still nothing like taking a look at the goods before handing over the cash.

Any advice welcome.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
Far and few inbetween.....
actually can't think of any "real" hobby shops left in Manhattan. Forbidden Planet use to be a pretty good place for Sci-Fi stuff, but I don't even know if it is still there. Ace is long gone, as is Polks.
There are a few out on Long Island.

"Head West Young Man"........ OK who said that????

For across the river in the mobsters grave yard, AKA New Jersey is a modeling Mecca.
I heard they are going to declare the Meadowlands sacred burial grounds.
You have quite a selection in the Garden State..... and less sales tax.

Try doing a search of NYC HOBBY SHOPS and NEW JERSEY HOBBY SHOPS on google or Yahoo.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 06:36 AM UTC
The closest hobby shop to Manhattan is probably Sentinel Miniatures
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 06:48 AM UTC

Grumpyoldman is right, all the good ones here in NYC are long gone. Heck, even the not so good ones are fading away. (Anyone else remember heading Ace on W. 31st St., never being quite sure which floor he had moved to?)

The only place worth going in the area is Baseline Models in Mineola. It's on Long Isand but the half hour car or train ride (walking distance from the Mineola Long Island Rail stop) is well worth it. Tons of after market, figures, books, old and new kits a like. Best of all, it's strictly military.

Just be sure to give a call before you go, Don will be moving to a nearby location in a few weeks.

Here is the contact info....
http://www.baselinemilitarymodels.com/
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(Anyone else remember heading Ace on W. 31st St., never being quite sure which floor he had moved to?)

Sure do...... :-) :-) Remember when he was called Gateway, we use to have to call Lou, to find out where he moved to...... :-) :-)
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Remember when he was called Gateway, we use to have to call Lou, to find out where he moved to...... :-) :-)

I'd forgotten all about the Gateway days and even the member and non member prices on everything. There were times I'd go there just to look at the finished models in the showcases.

I was once in there when a different kind of "collecter" tried to get his hands on a few things.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 05:17 PM UTC
Yep, remember the members and non members prices well...... and also looking forward to the trip, Gateway, Polks, then up to Skybooks, and the Soldier Shop. Then back to the PA and the bus back home. A perfect way to spend a Saturday off. Remember going out to the old Squadron Shop out on Long Island? Hated the drive out, always got lost, but always came home with the latest and greatest...... :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP