_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Cable tricks - Help needed
KING_TIGER
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi guys

I want to replicate cables in my tanks and the halftrack I am currently building (command Version with radios ect). What wire would i use or something similar to replicate the cables ?

If anyone know what thickness, i would be most grateful or even a suggestion as to how it can be done.

KING_TIGER
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 11:51 AM UTC
Just to add, electrical cables on the interior :-)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC
Howzit James,

Solder wire would be the answer to "what kind".... but personally I couldn't tell you what gauge to go for... I suppose the easiest is to check out the different rolls of solder wire sold at the likes of Game and Dions and see which one looks the most aesthetically correct...

HTH

Rudi
Reconrsa007
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi James

What I normally do is to dig into my wife's knitting bag, the threat she uses normally helps to represent cables, because most of the threat is weaved it looks more realistic, just colour it gunmetal or something before you use it.

I also aree with Rudi about the soldering wire, but that is more expensive, I do believe that bank paperclips are the right thickness and ii is free...
Bomberman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 84 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hello,

i assume you are modeling in 1/35 scale. Fuse wire is available in varying thicknesses from electrical supply stores and some haberdashery shops stock a craft wire in varying colors that word well in 1/35 scale. I use mostly copper wire.

Normal three core electrical wire, if the pvc covering is removed, make excellent cable as it is already wound and basically ready to use. Painted with gun-metal or stainless steel it makes for good tow cables.

Regards,
Tappie
Vorster
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:51 AM UTC
Try picture wire. This is the stuff used to hang pictures. I got a roll from some were and it will probably last for many years to come.

It is great in scale being multi stranded using thin copper wire and to thin it down is very simple - unravel on of the strands.

Works great.
KING_TIGER
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:04 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
 _GOTOTOP