History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
This date in history
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:05 AM UTC
Ok boys, thar's a new Sherrif in town. And my first act is going to have to be to put IE spell checker on this computer.

Anyway here is my first post as the new moderator.

On this day, February 8th, 1915 the classic film Birth of a Nation opened in Los Angeles. If you've never seen this film you owe it to yourself. It is now very non PC, but for it's time it was riveting. I highly recommend it.

For you Brits on the board on this day in 1587 Mary Queen of Scots got the ax. She was 19 years on "death row."

Peter the Great of Russia dies in 1725.

The Russo-Japanese War broke out in 1904. (I should mention this over on the warships forum as there were several interestsing naval battles in this war.

Some notable birthdays are

Actor James Dean, my daughter is crazy about him and went nuts when I told her.

Newsman Ted Koppel.

Actor Jack Lemmon.

Actres Audrey Meadows.

Jules Verne, quite a author.

William T Sherman, "War is Hell."

Actress Mary Steenburgen

Writer John Grisham.

Actress Lana Turner.

Actor Nick Nolte.

Less you think I had all this on the top of my head I grabbed it off of The History Channel website.

I'll try to post like this every day. If anybody wants to discuss any of these events have at it.

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:30 AM UTC
"-Sherrif-"................

Step right up Rodger! :-) :-) Brilliant idea'today in history'--good for first coofee swilling!AYE!
cheers!
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:28 PM UTC
Congrats on your new appointment Roger ( ummm Sherriff) well deserved.

Very interesting list indeed. Most of our History today is very non PC. So having children in High School it is up to me to either correct or add on to what they are being taught..

My goodness what are we going to do when they stop teaching history all togather.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:36 PM UTC
James Dean was born about 10 blocks from where I'm sitting. He grew up about ten miles from here.
They have billboards on the interstate with pictures of Dean on them that say "Grant County Indiana, Where Cool was Born."

Kinda neat.

Shaun