_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Stuck in a rut!
ant88
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Maybe this sounds stupid to others but latley I have felt like my modeling has kinda gone stale. I seem to do the same weathering techniques etc and my models kina all look the same. By no means am I tired of modeling, I actually cant wait for the weekends to go home and build for 2 days, but it just seems stale. I know I can try to seek out other ways to weather and stuff but sometiimes its not easy to do. I look at some of the dioramas and models in various magazines and on here and I feel im just so far away from them. Sounds kinda strange but I know I'm not the only one that feels that way, am I, lol. What do you guys do when you feel like your stuck in a rut. What are some groundbreaking weathering techniques? Where does that little extra inspiration or dio idea come from. Help me modeling gods. lol.

TankCarl
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC
Well ,in armor there is:
Mud
Snow,
Dusty ,
and just delivered.If you've been doing mud,try snow.If you are really rutted,go for showroom new,all the tools in place,and no bent fenders.
(++) (++) (++) (++)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
To borrow line from Monty Python, "And now, for something completely different."
When things get boring or stale or feel tedious, I'll shift focus. Plpains Indians feeling redundant? Pull out a Civil War figure. ACW getting monotonous, do a gladiator or a Viking. Armor getting to be too much of the same, build a car, try your hand at a figure or plane. Lots of weathering getting you down, build one fresh from the factory or repair depot.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
I totally agree with LaFleche; try something a bit different.
Armour isn't the only thing out there and there are alot of nice wingy things out there to try. A ship or sub can be alot of fun for a change, or even trying an automobile. There's so much out there that you can go for years without doing the same thing for a long time.
I have on the go the Trumpeter Leopold with the Revell Uboat Type VIIC coming up sometime after it. Along with those I have a few aircraft and a couple of cars (one for my daughter's boyfriend's birthday in March) to do.
Just try something a bit different. You'll never know if you'll like it if you don't!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Another thought would also be to expand to a diorama. There are so many techniques for dio building that you could try quite a few before getting boored with any of them. Also if you don't put figures in your armor that's another way to learn new things.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
Ditto everyone else - try something totally different - I usually go sci-fi or civil war or civilian.
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:11 PM UTC
I agree a change is as good as a rest, try something different . I went too far and built a model railway . Amazing how my ground work improved though.

Den
ant88
Visit this Community
entire network: 225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC
Great tips guys. Thanks to everyone. Think I just might try some subs or maybe even some civil war stuff. The female model stuff sounds interesting also. I hear ya bout the train layout. Ive seriously been considering it. thanks again!!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hi Anthony,

I only just picked up on your thread. I'd agree with the others about changing topic but I also add that most of my inspiration comes from reading books.

The model is a represnetation of a thing - connect that thing to a point of time in history, a certain event or happening, even a certain person and the build takes on a different meaning.

If your thing is US military models try D -Day by Stephen E. Ambrose the chap who wrote Band of Brothers. If that doesn't inspire you and get you thinking I don't know what will.

If your are sick of building US kits try Monte Cassino by Matthew Parker - possibly the hardest fought battle of WW2.

Even if you don't finish a book but the time you've read 3 or 4 chapters you should have enough ideas to keep you going all year.

Happy modelling

Al

Reconrsa007
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 10:35 AM UTC
The moddeling 'gods' have spoken mere mortal, do as thy is commanded...

PS: I do agree with doing something completely differant.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:56 AM UTC
I'll also concur with a change of pace, but if I may add something, make it a change that won't require you to do the same tasks as the genre you just left. After spending a year researching and superdetailing a tank, I frequently will scratchbuild an SF vehicle of some sort. Doesn't need research, needs as much detail as I feel like adding, gets painted whatever damned colour I like today and cleans out the old crap in the spares box. Perfect for what ails ya.

Best of all, if you just built it cleanly, ain't no-one can ding you for accuracy if you plonk it on a contest table.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP