_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Model painting for absolute beginner
bung_chau
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:12 PM UTC
Hello,

I was walking down the street one day and happened to walk past a model shop. Interested, I went in and about an hour later I came out totally hooked. Not only that but also with a box of figurines, a couple of paint brushes and a selection of paints. Can anyone recommend any books on scale model painting (hope that't the right terminology)? Thanks!

bung_chau
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi there Jeremy and Welcome to Armorama

Without knowing what sort of figures and paint you've got I would recommend Osprey Modeling Manuals - Modeling WWII Figures which is not a bad guide.

However if these are your first figures you could do far worse than just following the painting directions on the box and forwarding any specific questions here.

Cheers
Darren
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 07:56 PM UTC
If you are going to be painting them with acrylic paints, try this link. (Its in english)

http://www.ttfxmedia.com/vallejo/cgi-bin/_modelis.asp?p1=ing&p2=modelcolortecnicas
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
Welcome Jeremy!
Hmm... IŽm not that into modelling books, but I can sure recommend you to browse through this site! Also show your work here after you have made your first step and weŽll help you to improve if youŽd need that. What figures and what kind of paint did you buy?
Cheers Andreas

Ps. If this is your first painting like this, then to get right paint on the right place can be hard enough. It was for me at least
bung_chau
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:51 PM UTC

thanks for your replies! I bought some Italeri 1:72 scale figures and enamel paints. It took me about an hour to get one figure done - it's tough work.

Will acrylics be better for a beginner like me?

Jeremy
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy. I started off with enamels too but i changed to acrylics pretty soon after mainly becuase they are easier to clean. I seem to get much better paint coverage with enamels though, but they also smell quite bad and are more of a hasle to clean . If you dont mind the smell and the clean up then i would stick with enamels if you carry on handbrushing
Tom
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:01 PM UTC
Acrylics clean up with water, rubbing alcohol, windex..
Enamels require solvents and are toxic.

bung_chau
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC

thanks again for the tips and ideas. I think i'll try acrylics and see how that goes as the enamel is stinking the place out.

With acrylics can i use them as i did with the enamel stuff or do i need some sort of special layer coat before i add colour?

Thanks,

Jeremy
bung_chau
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are going to be painting them with acrylic paints, try this link. (Its in english)

http://www.ttfxmedia.com/vallejo/cgi-bin/_modelis.asp?p1=ing&p2=modelcolortecnicas

s

Oops. I missed this link earlier and have now found it very helpful indeed. Thank you!
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
i tend to find that with acrylics you sometimes need a primer coat for the paint to adhere well to the surface of the model. Enamels tend not to need a primer coat in most cases. It really depends what colour you are using
 _GOTOTOP