Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Sometimes I am amazed
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Last night my scout troop had a sleepover in the church. I was talking with another of the adult leaders and remarked that I had learned an interesting fact in my Family Law (divorce) class. It is taught by a real life divorce lawyer who has been in practice close to 10 years now. He was talking about legal marriage and was naming things that made legal marriages and things that didn't. To my surprize he said that in Texas, one could marry their first cousin. He laughed and said in Arkansas you couldn't, contrary to popular belief. Now the guy in the scout troop like me has a degree in business. He looked at me and said that he knew for a fact that I was wrong. I cited my source and he said the man was a lawyer and they lied. So I asked him his source his reply was that in his Business Law class he was told you couldn't do it. I guess I could pull out the statuate and stick it in his face, but what would the purpose be. He's one of those guys that will pull the old line "I'm set in my ways " when he runs into something he doesn't want to do or hear.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
I work with a couple guys like that. One in particular will disagree with just about anything you tell him. If you say the sky is blue he will say its more cobalt blue. Drives me nuts. One day he was trying to tell me that it would no problem to land a jumbo jet on an aircraft carrier.

I usually try to just avoid these kind of people as I sort of enjoy watching them make an ass out of themselves. But every now and then is fun to prove them wrong when they are going on about something.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC
Steve

don't let him get to you. Some folks are just that way.Besides who would want to marry a first cousin anyway ?
What's your major in CJST or pre-law ?

Harry
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
Sounds like some of the Engineers I work with....... It's their way or no way... When I know the Shop can't or Won't build it like that.... LOLOLOLOL
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
IF you could slow it down and arrest it, somehow, god knows how, you couldnt stop such mass dead in it's tracks to begin with, your gonna lose your right hand wing anyway :-) and the ships tower to boot! :-)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:29 AM UTC
You guys should ride with me for a week in my bigrig Some of those other drivers
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 07:32 AM UTC
Maybe this fellow you're talking about actually IS married to his cousin........in which case he would automatically have proven you wrong. :-)

Quoted Text

You guys should ride with me for a week in my bigrig Some of those other drivers

Hey Zod, we're in the same boat man.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
As the saying goes, "It's no skin off my nose." It's just funny that the source I cite is an expert in this matter, and this guy 's source is not even in the correct field to begin with. So my source must be a liar because that is what lawyers do. I am studying to be a paralegal, but almost everytning we are studying is at a Law School level. Now to me the humorous thing is ...everyone makes fun of Arkansas about marrying their cousins and it turns out to really be Texas. :-)
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 01:48 PM UTC
where did that saying come from, it's no skin off my nose? :-)
im not sure i wanna know
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hey guys walk in my shoes for a little while. Everyday I have people try to tell me what the law is and how I should be doing my job. "Yeah buddy just where did you get your law degree from anyway" And dont get me started on that dang CSI show. These people watch that and think that we can do all kind of crazy stuff "to find out who did this" Drives me nuts.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
well if its good enough for prez teddy roosevelt, i seem to recall he married his first cousin, lol........

ya oughta be talking to a group of medics discussing medical protocols!!!!!!!!!!

or the dr's, lol...........

reb
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys walk in my shoes for a little while. Everyday I have people try to tell me what the law is and how I should be doing my job. "Yeah buddy just where did you get your law degree from anyway" And dont get me started on that dang CSI show. These people watch that and think that we can do all kind of crazy stuff "to find out who did this" Drives me nuts.

That is the joy of being a LEO lol. You should be able to solve every crime, solve all their problems within your 8 or 12 hr shift!!!

Darryl
22 yrs down, 8 more to go!!!!
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That is the joy of being a LEO lol. You should be able to solve every crime, solve all their problems within your 8 or 12 hr shift!!!

Darryl
22 yrs down, 8 more to go!!!!

And don't forget..getting DNA results in minutes, not weeks like is the norm.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 05:19 PM UTC
Human shoulders are wonderfully adapted for shrugging, which is the only possible response to advanced idiocy....

There are lots of non-commital responses I have learned to use when dealing with people who think watching Time Team a few times makes them experts in archaeology. 'I hear what you're saying...' is a good one - fill in the unspoken end to the sentence yourselves
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
Hi Steve

In simple terms I consider that the advice you received was correct and your "friend" is incorrect.

I practiced family law, amongst other areas as a lawyer here in New Zealand (15 years) however I do know enough from wider knowledge that each state in the USA has its own legislation in this area of the law. I also recall reading about Arkansas and being surprised about its legislation considering the general joke that goes around about this area of marriage and Southern US States.

Unfortunately in my experience there are some people around who seek out advice and either ignore it or take out of it what they may. Often they will not take advice from experts either and will never accept a conclusion or advice that simply does not agree with their perception.

I struggle myself sometimes to understand the singlemindedness.

All part of the broad tapestry of human nature huh?

My advice Steve take the moral/high ground and know that you are correct and let your "friend" blissfully exist in ignorance and self deception.

Regards

Sean
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Steve

I agree with Sean. Having been in the court system for 27 years with the last 9 on the Bench I have seen many such examples, where people have acted on the advice of "bush lawyers" much to their detriment.

One of the better ones I have had was an application for a dog destruction order (savage dog) made by the local council. The defence of the dog was that the council wasn't mentioned in the Magna Carta therefore none of its bylaws were valid.

Brian