_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Dragon Firefly Vc Kit No 6182
golf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
This is perhaps not a convention tip but more of a warning to anyone tackling the Dragon Firefly.

In the midst of cementing this kit together earlier today I came across an omission (technically referred to as a cock-up) in the instructions.

As usual with Dragon, the pieces fitted together very well except when I tried to fit the bogey subassemblies to the hull. No matter how much I jiggled them they would just not lie flat and there were sizable gaps...all very untidy and frustrating. Having sloshed on loads of solvent (fortunately not CA!) I put it aside to dry and fiddled around with the bits left on the frames. It was then that I came across half a dozen pieces (numbered V5) that do not appear anywhere in the instructions. A light flashed on in the "thinks bubble" above my head as I realised that these little devils, when sandwiched between the bogeys and the hull, were just what the doctor ordered. With a bit of delicately applied brute force I just managed to lever the bogeys off, slide in the missing bits and bingo...it all slipped into place, like a rat up a drainpipe.

But, there was more to come. Many of the bits labelled in the instuctions as being on frame 'C' are actually on frame 'V'. Ho hum...

So Mr Dragon. Kit 10/10...Instructions 4/10 (try harder next time!).

Happy gluing

Bill Brignal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:00 PM UTC
Nicely discoverd Bill, any chance of an article, or a review for the site?
Mal
golf
Visit this Community
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC
Mal

I'll see what it looks like when it's finished...but I must warn you that I am a slow builder.

Cheers

Bill
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 01:51 PM UTC
Slow builder, join the club. I take several months to complete a project and I have some that have been on the go for years I wish I could just build one at a time but I have tried and it just won't happen. When I first found Armorama the aircraft forum was small and I was out of work. I was finishing models like nobody’s business, to get pics posted and liven up the board. In my second year I completed about 19 models, some of which had been on the go and just needed the final parts adding. I started 6 new models, for campaigns and completed them as well. Now I'm in work my modelling time is limited, plus I'm looking to start my own little empire so weekends are not very productive either. I have still started 2 more models, for campaigns, without counting that'll be over 30 on the go. Yep I must be insane but It's the way it is I sort of know why I have so many on the go, I'm impatient to get on to the next, so when I have a little hiccup with one I'll start another. I always mean to get on and work through the problem and I do, but it can sometimes take an age to get back to it. Witness my ongoing online builds, 3 at the moment, all stalled, but all bar one would not take much to get them to the painting stage
Note to self..............Just get on with it

There are no time limits for articles, they can slow you down as well if, like me, you wait for decent light to take in progress pics (I use light coming in through my model room window to take pics by). So for an article you would write as you build, best (or like me after you complete it), and ideally take some pics of the progress ( this can be a problem if the quality isn't good or the depth of field is not deep, but I can help you with them and more, if you need it). When you finish take lots of pics of the finished model. You can write an article (punters like to know what and how you did it), or do just a photo feature, with just pics.
An in box review is a good way to "get your feet wet" with submitting content and you could write one up now. It would be especially relevant because you have discovered a problem, which punters should know about. Take a look at reviews from our seasoned reviewers, for the type of think we are looking for. You don't have to worry about formatting or anything like that, just write an honest review of the kit. It would be published on the main site and then syndicated to here. If you prefer it could be published here, but it will get a wider audience via the main site (at the moment )
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 04:07 PM UTC
Well spotted Bill, i wonder how many other Dragon Sherman kits have got that piece of info missing.
Andy (++)
 _GOTOTOP