_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Canadian Ranks
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC
Has there ever been a discussion about having some Canuck ranks for our post counts? Is this even possible?

I have noticed that there seem to be quite a few of us in this community and it would be nice to have some Canadian Army ranks.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Jeff
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
There was a discussion a while back, but I'm not sure what ever became of it. There was a lot of interest though and even some prototype graphics if I remember correctly.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 03:49 AM UTC
I remember something being discussed maybe 8 or so months ago? Would be nice to have

Darryl
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:23 PM UTC
This was discussed in June of 2004 in this thread: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/32217&page=1
Brought up by Trackjam, who should be returning to the site soon. Ranks were facilitated by ModlrMike, who will be away from the site until the fall of 2006, and enhanced by Ex-Royal who, as you may know, is no longer with the site.

If anyone else has the talent and the skill, I'd love to sport a set of EME slip-ons!
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
I have it in mind to work on another more legible set, though as Mike pointed out, it won't be any time soon.
Figure_11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
why not just lift these?:
Wikipedia-Canadian Ranks

wikipedia uses public domaine images, so no copyright problems. If you click on each rank, it will take you to a larger image.

Mike.
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
Mike,
The ones being worked on were of the new digital Canadian pattern (CADPAT) and looked really cool. The ones in Wikipedia, although accurate, are a mix of of the old drab combat colour and the ones off of the dress uniform.

Just as a side note, the Leopard tanks in the picture above those ranks that Mike points out were on last years' brigade/ area change of command parade. Half were on one side of a noise berm, the other half on the other and facing out. They performed a "feu de joi", where each gun fires a round after the previous one, in rapid succession, and the effect sounds like a huge Chinese firecracker! It's an impressive feat with a battallion of rifles, but even better with a squadron of tanks!
During the same parade, we were treated to the 1812 Overture with real howitzers at 500 metres. Kickass!

Now, back to the discussion at hand!
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
lavgnr

I was at that parade... too cool.

Figure_11

I was rather fond of the CADPAT ones that I did, but it was a little difficult to read the insignia. When I get back to Canada I will work on another set, maybe desert pattern with better ranks.
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi Mike,
Good idea about the desert ones, or even faded cadpat? I'm not much of a digital artist, but maybe I could play around with a trial version of Photoshop or something...
Take care over there, we get briefed periodically on your experiences. BTW, we just got our first serious snowfall today.

merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
Snow!!!! My first night sleeping in a foriegn desert here in Afganistan and it poured all night on us!! Last night guess what. Sleeping in the desert again and more rain!!! Why can't the infantry ever get out of the rain! By the way I think desert cadpat would be better. More keeping with the times eh. And you'd better have Patricia slipons ! :-)
 _GOTOTOP