_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
I went and build a sailing ship..yikes..
floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 108 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hello to all!

I'm normally an AFV builder, but in a temporary fit of madness I went and build a ship - a sailing ship. It's a model of the Orel ("Eagle") - built in 1669 and was Russia's 1st warship. Would love to hear any comments you guy might have- my post is in the Warships forum entitiled "Orel - Russia's 1st warship"

CYA!
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 05:19 AM UTC
the link to Alan's ship

Hey Alan,

are u insane?? that was a good looking sailing boat.. and u complaint u dont have enough time ...

a nice project to get away from AFVs....

so what scale is this ship?? and is't resin?? can find that ship in LHS right??what is the dimension ??

the sail looks real and weathred....is that plastic??

so much to ask...

floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 108 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hiya Sil,

Thanks for the comments - this is my 1st ship model, and perhaps I should have gone for something a wee bit easier, like modern ships. Instead, crazy me went to do a sailing ship LOL

The ship is plastic and was bought from MH a very very long time ago (about 2 yrs ago) and its one of those cheap Chinese brands. I had to do a lot of fixing up and modifications as the kit was really awful, but what to expect…it was cheap hehe..

The black rigging/netting/whatever was scratchbuilt from string, as the ones that came with the kit were thick ugly rubber ones. The whole kit is plastic, including the sails. The sails were sprayed and weathered to make them look like linen/silk sails. The flags were made from paper and painted with oils. I forgot what the scale was, but the length of the whole ship is 17 inches and the height is 14 inches!

The model depicts the Orel ("Eagle"), built in 1669 and was Russia's 1st warship. And had 18 cannons. I still have a whole stack of sailing warships I bought off eBay sometime ago, that I have not built LOL…dunno when I'm going to get around to them heh…

Cheers!
Alan
 _GOTOTOP