Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Are the days of the big T numbered?
michiel
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:17 PM UTC
The question says it all! Look at Dragon's recent AFV's and next-gen figures. Look at Trumpeter (at least at their prices and I suspect them bring a Char-1bis on the market)

Although I like Tamiya's 1/48-adventures it is nothing new; just scaled down "the-same-old-stuff
Yayo01
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC
Big T? as in tamiya?
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 311 Posts
KitMaker Network: 98 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
This topic is not a new topic. If you search the forums this topic has been debated before. Not to be rude, but do we have to go through it again?

Cheers,
Salvo
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
Why should they be numbered? Only a small part of Tamiya's profits come from plastic kits, the majority comes from r/c...

Quoted Text

Although I like Tamiya's 1/48-adventures it is nothing new; just scaled down "the-same-old-stuff

Ah! One of modelling's very own 'Urban Legends'... When people say this, I wonder if they realize that Tamiya never did a Hetzer or a French Staff car.. How then is it possible to scale something down if it never existed in the first place?...Jim
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
Jim,,,my sentiments exactly..some people are still living in that bubbled misconception..haha...

Well said Jim...

Mary (++)
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC
I wouldn't be surprised if Tamiya still outsells the others. Dragon is a serious contender, but Trumpeter only has a small (relativly speaking) market. The main rason Tamiya brings out re-re-re-releases is because the sell. A quick look in most hobby shops shows a majority of Tamiya kits on the shelf. I think that there are still an awful lot of people who are not really aware of what is out there. Many people don't buy on the internet either. Untill about a year and a half ago I was not on the net, and I used to buy Tamiya, and Academy or AFV if ( and only if..) it was available in my LHS.
Tamiya will be here for a long time yet.

Cheers
Henk
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Tamiya is alive and kicking!... I wish people would give the 48th line a try. IMHO, it would improve EVERYONE's painting skills to build a few of these models, and to spend 3/4 of your modelling time painting and weathering, as opposed to fiddling about with individual track links. I spend 5 to 7 hrs building the 48th models and about 20 to 40 hrs painting and weathering. You can construct masterpieces, but if you can't lay paint on plastic, your completed model will not sparkle!

Frank

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
They may be down for now But they are not out for the count yet I think they will suprise us in 1/35 scale this year Just a gut feeling Of course I could be wrong Probably will be :-)

A big plus in favor of Tamiya is fit of the parts I have been modeling armor on and off since the mid 1980's Built quite a few brands Tamiya has always had the best fit of parts bar none in my experience

I am glad that they are bringing 1/48 armor back They fit a lot better in the bunk area of my truck (++)
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 05:10 AM UTC
Tamiya will continue like they are now.Re-release old favorites and sprinkle in a new one in a blue moon or so.I don't do 1/48 just because of the size.I do a lot of the 1/35 detail under a lighted 8X magnifying glass as is.Aircraft builds are strictly 1/32 for me.Was given a couple of 1/72 Airfix tank kits a while back and I built them for my nephews.They loved them but nearly fried me.No fun.
I see 1/48 as entry level scale for younger modelers with limited budget,but better eyesight! :-)
cheers!