_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Paint import woes
Michaelvk
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:09 PM UTC
As some f you may or may not know, I'm moving from the Netherlands to SA next month..

Now a removal company has dealt me a serious blow. They advised me to NOT take my substantial collection of paints (including all the Alclad 2 metal shades, brand new). These are all Tamiya acryllics and Revell or Humbrol enamels. There are ± 100 in all. This is a fortune of paint, and as I review for a mag, part of my livelyhood..

Is there a way around this, anyone?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:58 PM UTC
Howzit Michael,

I have family from Scotland that migrated south. They also have substantial collections of Humbrol, and they managed to bring it in. Basically what they did was to clean the lid and rim of the tin, and make sure it was 110% clean and sealed. Then they just stored the paint tins in a couple of tin biscuit tins and sealed those in turn. Basically just ensured they were airtight so that nothing could leak out.

My father-in-law is in the removals industry... if I remember I'll ask him tonight about bring the paints in and what precautions you need to take.

BTW, what magazine do you review for? You should do some reviews for Armorama as well

Rudi
Michaelvk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, Rudi.. I've been poring over a pdf I found on prohibited goods, but I'm wondering if there are volumes attached to this.. I've got them all in a toolbox right now (nice, shiny new one too..) that can be taped hermetically shut, but I can arrange other means of packaging.

What are his details? We're still fishing around for quotes y'see..

As for the mag; modelbouw magazine. Its a year old Dutch mag. I've had 3 articles in so far (not bad for a bi-monthly..) on 1:72 kits (Heller Opel Blitz + Pak 40, Academy GMC 6x6, and a series of Kubelwagens). I'll definatly look into reviews for here, but after I move (and aquire my own camera). The GMC was the best IMHO so far.

kubels:

GMC:

And the Blitz
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hey Michael,

I'll PM the details to you tonight or tomorrow.... I'll ask him tonight who you can email for a quote - he's one of the managers at Elliot's International's Cape Town branch...

Glad to see we'll have a whole 2 people in Cape Town that use MIG pigments soon.... namely you and me! :-) :-) :-) Actually, I'll be asking you for help with them anyways, as I've only just recently acquired my set...

Rudi
Michaelvk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
I love them to bits! I'm actually stocking up on them as they're €3.50 here (ZAR25, approx.) and coming hand luggage

Thanks alot for the help! Much appreciated! I'll buy you a cold one at a local of your choice when I arrive!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC
No worries mate. Glad to help.

Re. the MIG products, the SA MIG agent is a member of this site (aka Graugrun) , and gives great service, by the way. And his prices are reasonable...

Rudi
Michaelvk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:06 PM UTC
Oh I'll most happily support the local economy!

Hopefull Herself sees it that way too
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefull Herself sees it that way too

LOL! :-) :-) :-)

I like to stay fairly optimistic... when my missus told me I can buy a Triumph Daytona 675 Triple when hell freezes over... I thought, "Well, at least she didn't say 'NO!'".... :-) :-) :-) I'll just have to wait a while... :-) :-) :-) :-)

Naaah, in all seriousness my missus is pretty supportive of my modelling (within reason of course), as she's an arty bird as well...

Rudi :-)
Michaelvk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:48 PM UTC
Same here (as long as there A: aren't tanks throughout the house and B: she gets to see me too sometimes)...

Speaking of donorcycles.. My YZF-750-R has to stay here
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My YZF-750-R has to stay here

Sheesh... I feel your pain
Vorster
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:36 PM UTC
I know this is of topic but for the northern blokes. Eswex isn't stocking Modelmaster anymore and apparently the import of the stuff is long in following down the same road.

So stock up lads if you see them. A good place is old George in PE been to his house and he still has plenty of stock.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eswex isn't stocking Modelmaster anymore and apparently the import of the stuff is long in following down the same road.

Thom's HobbyHaven in the N1 City mall has been going the same way for a while as well. Apparently the agents aren't importing the range any more. I'm not sure if they've lost the entire Testor's agency. It will be a huge loss to the SA modelling community. The Humbrol supply also tends to be eratic, and lately Airfix has made some terrible decision regarding the Humbrol range... like changing mixes and removing popular and crucial colours from the range (Natural wood 110 and Natural/Medium Grey 176 spring to mind )... Looks like soon we'll only have Tamiya acrylics from old Jeff Stein...

Rudi
Michaelvk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
Shall I add another m3 of 'art supplies'? :-)
 _GOTOTOP