History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
One in the chamber?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
I've read how US tankers in World War II found that an effective way to knock out German tanks was to first fire either a smoke or white phosporus round at them. The idea was the fumes from that type of round would blind them and perhaps get sucked into the tank making them think they'd been knocked out. Once that round was on the way then the US tank would scoot around the side or rear to get in a killing shot.

My question, and this is just out of curiosity, is what kind of round would they normally have loaded? Say you're in "Indian Country" and you don't know what is going to be around the next bend. Do you load with AP and hope you can get a killing shot off first? Or with WP, HE, etc? Or would you leave the gun unloaded so you could grab the best round for the job right away?

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:40 AM UTC
I am not sure this can be answered in a general sense. The answer can only be answered on a case by case basis. If it were me, I'd looked at what my current potential threats would be for the mission I'd be doing, what other kinds of targets my other units in the area are engaging and plan accordingly.

I think given the sheer amount of tank companies within the numerous divisions, any sense of SOP to this sort of thing wouldn't have quite existed on a large scale. I'd imagine small units would have their own SOP towards what to do.

Jeff
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:29 AM UTC
I'd imagine the US tanks would work in pairs. One with an AP up the spout and the other with WP.