_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Display Case materials/assembly
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
Morning,

I need to build a display case for the Revell 1/72 sub. Which materials hold up best over time? Is plexi-glass the best solution? Do not wish to use glass. What is the best (cleanest looking) glue for building the clear sections?

In the past parts would mysteriously dissappear off my models, until I discovered someone had been vaccuuming them!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Martyn
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
yep Plexiglass or Clear Acrylic sheet..... (use a glue recomensed for them) there was an Article in a Issue of FSM (don't have it handy here @ Work)
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:18 PM UTC
I used to work at a museum where we made many of our own display cases. When we used plexiglass, the adhesive used was plain old CA. As long as the edges are square, you won't have any problems. Just apply the CA the same way you apply liquid cement to a model by letting it wick into the joint. Before gluing up though you'll want to get the saw marks off of the edges of the plexiglass. You can do that by applying a flame to the edge until it is clear. It takes a little practice but it's not hard to do.

The one bad thing about using plexi is that it scratches very easily, so you'll need to be careful when cleaning it.
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:42 AM UTC
Thanks Cary,

Are there any coatings you can use on plexi glass to toughen it up abit?
Dunno if this is ridiculous or not... Is coating with Future a silly idea?

Martyn
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC
SKurj,

What about a nice clean wood frame to hold the plexi pieces? That's more or less what I did on my paint booth. Oak or Walnut are VERY nice woods. Pine is BORING..............

Simple matter of cutting the plexi and running a dado down the length of the chosen wood to fit the plexi pieces.

How big a display are you making? Do you have the tools you'll need? IF not, drop me a PM.

Mike
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hi,

i did a few of my own display case using plexi-glass/perspex/acrylic plastic (they all the same..)
the best solution for the 'glue' is chloroform. This thinned solution works best and since it's really thin the capilary action will work itself into the gap between the two joint surfaces. BE carefull not to let chloroform runs out of the joint as it will leaves marks on the surface of the clear plastic.
You got a lot of good respond here..but i may add that when working with plexy glass, do not completely remove the backing paper. Just tear about 1-3 cm along the edge.

and finally, u may apply any color tape along the joint to further enhances the display case. (this is optional..)

here's an example of display base i made for my MiG-29.

for the wooden base, i use 2mm plywood cramp together with 1.5" wooden frame inside the cramp plywood. and then i used decorative wood borders to the side.

hope this help!

errr...i didnt coat it... just clean like you normally clean your glass....

SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
I haven't worked out the dimensions exactly yet, but approximately 40" long by 12" wide by at least 12" high. It will be for the Revell 1/72 sub.

Just looking for ideas and suggestions at the moment as the kit is likely a month (or 2) from completion.

I believe we have the tools kicking around.

I'll have to get the tape measure out, I can at least get the length and width figured.

Martyn
 _GOTOTOP