TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Anyone seen Ultimate Force?
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi, all. I've just been down to the local DVD store and spotted a boxed set of the Brit TV series Ultimate Force. The blurb on the back claims that the story revolves around an SAS team on ops from Northern Ireland to Bosnia. Was a bit skeptical as the cover pic shows that the team includes a woman.

Has anyone seen this series, and is it worth buying? This set's obviously a pirated run as it's going for about US$24.

BTW, they've also got 'Over there'. Worth buying?

spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 06:49 PM UTC
No one??????
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC
Ah ha!
I made a thread regarding this series here about 3 weeks ago.
I saw the first 3 episodes, and i LOVED it, then, as happens with all televison series i happen to like, they pulled it off the air, i suppose it just wasnt popular enough.
My question was asking if anyone had seen the whole series, and if it was worth getting on DVD, i was told it stays consistently good throughout series 1 and 2, so thats good enough for me!
Then again, another let down, it's not available in Australia :-)
Anyways mate, in short...buy it, i wouldnt pass it up!
Cheers
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
LoL. I've seen it too, and HATED it. I guess we all have different taste :-) . As an entertainment show I guess it is ok, but for realisme...

Erik
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:43 AM UTC
Alot of it t is a bit far fetched i'll give you that, and i only saw 3 episodes :-) but why i liked it so much is, we have 5 television channels here, and compared to anything else that was on, it was a godsend plus the 3 episodes i saw, especially the first, were quite good, the first one was very realistic.
Cheers
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback, guys. What I really wanna know is is this really about the SAS, or is it just another military action series labelled with an SAS tag. Erik, what's unrealistic about it?

And what about 'Over There'?
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
It was a load of old hoop!! The acting was awful, the plots far fetched, the characters unbelievable, it was just garbage!!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The acting was awful, the plots far fetched, the characters unbelievable, it was just garbage!!

My point exactly...

Erik
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:45 PM UTC
Guess that's sorted.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 01:40 PM UTC
Ok, heres the deal, how many of you have seen the first series?

The third series was terrible, really, really bad.

But the first one was very good. The woman, Caroline, was not a member of the team but a HQ staff officer, who did get quite involved in the story, but wasn't in the SAS as such. After all, they needed a female in the story somewhere, and having her as the HQ intelligence officer was plausable enough.

If you see the first episode where they assault the bank it is quite well done, explosive entry and all. The CQB looks pretty authentic as well.

However in the third series they lost the plot (and all the actors bar three...). After building up each character's story for two seasons, they killed off all but three of them in the first minutes of the third series. I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the production, but clearly they couldn't get the original actors to sign up for a third series, except for Ross Kemp. Clearly they couldn't get the same writers either, certainly Chris Ryan, who wrote some of the first episodes, had nothing to do with it!

The second series was not quite as good as the first, but was not exactly terrible.

So no, I'd advise you stear clear of the third series, but by all means check out the first two.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thanks, Phil, good to know.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:33 AM UTC
I've just watched the first seven episodes and it seems pretty ok, if you close one eye and squint with the other But seriously, it's not bad. Just feel that most of the scenarios would've been handled by the cops in real life.

I think Ryan probably pulled out a list of training scenarios and made them into stories.

BTW, did anyone notice that he also acts in the some episodes? As the Blue Troop sergeant, Johnny Bell.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
Oh man that was a bad series using an Actor from Eastenders MISTAKE. It was filmed at my place of work one day and they turned it into a airport terminal and one of my work colleagues was in the show and got £100 for ten minuets doing nothing so he liked the show from then :-)

redleg
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:51 PM UTC
OK, I've got to (what I assume is) episode 1 of the 3rd series (no indication of series on box), and I'm not going any further! What a load of crap. The fact that it features an aircraft assault gave a depressing comparison to the building assault in the first series. What a sad contrast. Frontal daylight assault with no respirators, balaclavas or flashbangs. And the SAS stands in the doorways exchanging fire with the hijackers. I've actually watched an aircraft assault exercise, and while the building assault wasn't 100%, it came close. But this? No effort even made. And let's not even start on the script

It had got a bit soapy in the 2nd series, and I should have taken the hint.

Even SWMBO refused to watch anymore, and kept pointing out what the SAS was doing wrong!
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 09:41 AM UTC
Yep, that's the third series. You'll find an awfull lot of standing still exchanging long inefective bursts of fire with the bad guys...

waste of time, I'm not sure why they even bothered after doing a good job on the first series and a fair job on most of the second.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 04:33 PM UTC
Well, Phil, some people never know when enough is enough I guess. Did I mention the tits-out female taking selection who's then pulled out halfway to take part in an aircraft assault?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did I mention the tits-out female taking selection who's then pulled out halfway to take part in an aircraft assault?

That is a typical example of 'milking the story dry'..
The problem is that the SAS don't lend themselfs to long running series. Afterall there's not that much explosive action that they are involved in (and that was used up in series one..), and deep cover surveillance does not exciting TV make. Hence the long exchanges of fire... people want to see that sort of thing when slumpped on their couch, and really think that a 10 inch magazine holds 600 rounds of ammo...
And Ross Kemp, nah, he'll always be a Mitchell from Eastenders.. :-) .

Cheers
Henk
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Alot of it t is a bit far fetched i'll give you that, and i only saw 3 episodes :-) but why i liked it so much is, we have 5 television channels here, and compared to anything else that was on, it was a godsend plus the 3 episodes i saw, especially the first, were quite good, the first one was very realistic.
Cheers

I agree with you on that. Season 1 went off with a bang. Too bad the producers could not sustain the momentum.

In fairness to the show, I believe its far-fetchedness would benefit the SAS. As the world's premier CT unit, they would prefer to keep their real tactics and operations secret.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 04:55 PM UTC

I've only watched a few of these episodes, I agree some of the acting is rubbish and some parts are a bit far fetched but as a bit if TV entertainment with a bit of action I didn't think it was too bad.

Quoted Text

The woman, Caroline, was not a member of the team but a HQ staff officer,

The last episod I watched had a woman in the team not just at HQ. She showered with the blokes and went on the mission and took a full part in it.

I asked myself the same question as Spooky6 about women being in the SAS. I don't think they are but then the SAS don't advertise such things.
Like a former boss of mine who was ex SBS said, "women can make the best agents or spies just because they're women."

Vic
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I asked myself the same question as Spooky6 about women being in the SAS. I don't think they are but then the SAS don't advertise such things.

There are no women in the SAS. And it's no secret. Criteria for the SAS selection course is freely available to all members of the British Armed Forces. I think it's even available on the Army website.

Some women have been attached to SAS units for ops, particularly from what was 14 Int. I think it's called MRF now.

The woman in the shower is in the third series, Vic. The HQ officer mentioned was dropped from the cast in the second series.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 06:49 PM UTC
The latest series got pulled off ITV after the first episode when they wiped out some FARC clones single-handed.

Ross Kemp lost any pretentions to being macho last christmas when his wife got nicked for beating him up (didn't get charged though). Then she is a tabloid editor....
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 07:39 PM UTC
Damn I missed this thread. For anyone who doesnt know Ultimate force served one purpose-the entertain 18-21 year old males who read fast car mags or mens mags like loaded. Its just far fetched 'Macho' SAS action for the sort of people who dont ahve ahope in heel of eve getting into the SAS but would like to believe they are pretty tough, who may watch it with their girlsfriends (the guys who watch this call girls 'birds' by the way) and tell them the names of the submachine guns to look cool. Its just testosterone filled action.

By the way I watched Ultimate force and loved it! :-) :-) hahaha Its just pure entertainment-like James Bond, I mean is the secret service actually like that.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
AS TO OVER THERE

I am probably one of the few guys that liked it. Most are wanting a bang-shoot em up PVT Ryan type show then this won't do it. Deals mainly with how the guys in a squad (not combat infantry but a truck group with a couple of female drivers) deal with the Iraq situation. There is ample combat situations, also shows what is going on back home with the families.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am probably one of the few guys that liked it.

So did I.