_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Nashorn in progress
CKLOO
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 08:16 AM UTC
these are a few of the build log I have been posting in the scale model malaysia forum.
intial build of gun and ammo storage box

internal fighting cabin

a lot of injection marks to fill here. Note the cable to the gun catch control.

additional cables and spring on the gun catch.

CKLOO
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
the initial paint work

mud and dirt was mixed with base tamiya with futures and grounded pastel chalk. Will have to retouch this as I meant for it in a dio setting.

the paintwork with weathering more or less 90% complete using arylics, pigment toning, oil/turentine wash and Vallejo accent spots for rust, completing with a graphite rubbing and chipping in place.

hope this does justice to this wonderful forum of many si-fus.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
Loo,

that was great job....fantastic!!
the paint chipping effets also done very well...although i can say in some areas, it's overdone... (sorry Loo....have to spell it out!!)

and since u mentioned it's 90% completed, then i may suggest that more weathering should be done on the side armour plate especially the interior...
i knew i never build armour lately, but this is my constructive comments so far..hehe

dont u gave up on me Loo..........

overall, that's nice finished expecially the faded effect and the cammo job
keep us posted Loo
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:30 AM UTC
... very good loo... i like the weathering (mud?) on the lower hull, and the interior looks well done too...
seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 02:48 PM UTC
Good job. Actually i think the chips are ok. And the Nashorn is a complicated build because of its open top. Hard to paint it in separate assemblies. Personally i think more paint chips are required.

sllim
CKLOO
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:51 PM UTC
I agree with SL. My principle on chipping is actually to make an intelligent guesstimate as to where there will be a lot of abrasion from the crew, operations, loading, unloading, rubbing of parts, knocking, shoe scrubs and so forth.
One very telling photo is fron the actual tank in Aberdeen. While its in a bad state, it kinda gives you a hint where the paint chips are.
Some news flash. Can anyone tell me why my Humbrol matt varnish on the kit has decided that it wants to go cloudy on me? The kit looks like its in a very cold setting with a layer of frost on. Might work too accidently, as the crew is in winter clothes anyway?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:35 PM UTC
Sorry Loo my internet connection is the office is really bad. Having trouble even logging off so I seem to be logged on to Armorama the whole day. Can't view the pics in your 2nd post as I seem to keep getting the red X.

Perhaps I might get to see your good work at a later date or maybe at home.
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with SL. My principle on chipping is actually to make an intelligent guesstimate as to where there will be a lot of abrasion from the crew, operations, loading, unloading, rubbing of parts, knocking, shoe scrubs and so forth.
One very telling photo is fron the actual tank in Aberdeen. While its in a bad state, it kinda gives you a hint where the paint chips are.
Some news flash. Can anyone tell me why my Humbrol matt varnish on the kit has decided that it wants to go cloudy on me? The kit looks like its in a very cold setting with a layer of frost on. Might work too accidently, as the crew is in winter clothes anyway?

Few possibilities Loo:

1. Matt varnish not stirred thoroughly
2. Matt varnish preparation too thick for spraying
3. Incompatible thinner
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC
Okay finally got some visuals. Seeing as my last AFV was some 25 years ago my comments may not be the most useful but anyway here goes.

Loo I must say you do have an eye for details from the freshly exposed metal on the drive and sprocket wheels to the finely highlighted rivets on the breech block. Even the portion of the barrel behind the muzzle break shows gunpowder residues from the back blast. Nicely weathered cabin as well.

The only teeny point I can make is the seat for the aimer. Wouldn't it be rubber rather than metal as you painted it?

Oh, the only real suggestion that may or may not be useful to you is the size of your paint chips on the ammo storage. Paint chips tend to be small and rather than one big tear in the paint it usually was due to the force of impact or wear and tear. The first one unless its caused by something big, heavy or fast impacting(i.e. hammer, shell) it will usually be small and as for the second cause, its more like scratches.

As for the weathering depending on your dio the current weathering effects on the body may or may not be sufficient and seeing as we haven't seen your dio it wouldn't be fair to comment.

These are very minor points though in an otherwise well done model. Almost makes me want to go back to AFV's.

As for the whitening problem I've had similar experiences with Gunyze Matt as well as Tamiya matt coats. Both when added too much will turn white especially Tamiya which you mix in with the paint. A little really goes a long, long way. I've also found that both coats tend to turn white sometimes when I work during very hot and humid conditions and some modellers I've talked to had similar experiences.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 09:45 AM UTC
CK
Did you overlook chipping and scuffing on the edges of the fighting comparment's side armor ? Still not too late.

I've worked on the same Nashorn before ( winter camo ) and you're on the right track ( pun intended ). It's s going to look GREAT ( unless you screw up along the way ).

Impressive work.
seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only teeny point I can make is the seat for the aimer. Wouldn't it be rubber rather than metal as you painted it?

I had wanted to query on this as well. In some pics from my modelling magazines , the seat is painted in a dark shade ,eg, gun metal . I could be wrong, it could be black with highlights . So the seat is either a :
1) stamped sheet of metal
2) or is leather/cushion covered .

Anybody has the answer?

sllim
CKLOO
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:33 PM UTC
Can'tt really tell for sure for the seats. The wreck in Aberdeen shows the outer structure of the seat, so you guys are probable right. Should be either leather or rubber. My bet is on leather as rubber is an expensive commodity in war time. Black it is then..
ps. anyone has got a good color shot showing the colors of the other parts?
 _GOTOTOP