_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Got a good deal today
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 02:17 PM UTC
After looking around for a while and taking the advice from a fellow club member here-I picked up a pretty nice swing arm lamp that clamps to a desk for a whopping $2.99 at a local Goodwill store. The only problem was that it was missing the base that clamps it to the desk but being a good mechanical engineer, I was able to overcome this deficiency with a C-clamp from the toolbox and a couple longer machine screws from the parts bin. A couple holes drilled in the C-clamp later and I was in business.

This will be nice to have while working at home but even better for the monthly club builds at the local mall in front of the hobby store where lighting is not great.

Just had to share that with everyone.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:58 PM UTC
Is that what you call a cluge (or kluge?). Anyway, my Dad is also an engineer, but a propulsion engineer. He described to me that what you did, what we mere mortals call "ad hoc", etc., engineers have an offical term. Hope I spelled it right. I need to shop at Goodwill more often

Jeff
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 04:53 PM UTC
secondhand stores, hell I always stop in the 99 cents stores you never know where that bargain will pop up. with spending what we do on all those extras you need bargains.

Josh
aKa shiryon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 05:37 AM UTC
:-) Got an even better bargain, pinched the swing arm lamp from the wifes knitting machines. she never used it and hasn't missed it, er yet. Might not turn out to be a great bargain afterall Mind you she wasn't to concerned when I moved one of her knitting machines to make room for more shelving. You don't think that she's leading me into a false sense of security do you? Eeek, now I'm getting worried Just have to stay out of her way here in the old modelling room :-)
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
Goodwill/thrift stores are always worth a stop. You can never tell what you will find.
I always keep a lookout for the plastic, divided "tackle boxes". Quite usefull for your leftover bits and pieces (especially Dragon/DML kits....LOL)
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
(:-) Congradulations and well done Bryan
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:11 AM UTC
I'm no engineer but when I came across a swing arm lamp with a missing clamp at a garage sale....I quickly bought it.....brought it home.....got out my drill and drilled a hole through the top of my desk to mount it in........works awesome.......MORE POWER!!!!! #:-)
 _GOTOTOP