_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratching Wings....suggestions PLEASE? :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
Howdy All,

One of the projects I've been fooling around with as of late is trying to figure out how to come up with either a jig, or a method to scratchbuild aircraft wings out of styrene stock...the best method I have come up with so far is;

Here is a badly drawn diagram of the front section of the jig I had in mind. The block of wood with the groove cut into it would be used to kind of jamb the front leading edges of the styrene sheet stock into it to hold it together, while the small rectangular rod is placed at a predesignated spot {about a third of the way back from the leading edge} and glued down. The top sheet of styrene is then gently bent down and over the rectangular 'wedge' and mated to the rear edge of the bottom sheet.

Here's the drawing:

The rear of the wing would be clamped together and glued....

Now, this is a preliminary idea. I was hoping that someone might have a better suggestion, or lacking that, maybe help me fine tune this idea....
because some of the failings in it that I already see are, accomodating the inclusion of aerilons, and flaps.....

Many thx in advance for any and all input

Tread.

EDIT: After re-reading my post I thought I might add a wee bit more clarity.

The styrene stock that I plan to place in the jig will have already been cut to overall shape and size {from a 3 or 5-view plan} before placement in the jig.
Kinda like this;

The sheet stock will also be of somewhat thin stock to facilitate ease of bending during the bending process. The inserted rectangular rod will be placed longitudinally along the wings length, and glued to the bottom sheet.

Also, since my first attempts at this will be for World War I-era aircraft, any suggestions for simulating the wing ribs would also be quite helpful.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC
Once assembled use heat from a hairdryer and the thinner sheet should sag between your formers giving it the look od WW1 aircraft wings.

As to the other idea of using the formers like you suggest is good and fiddley as hell but should work with patience.

Of course the best idea would be to use your woodworking skills and carve out two MDF molds of the top and bottom of the wind and vac form these. Then make your spacers and put it all togeather.

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I am just about to go into vac forming my own parts for complex pieces like mud guards as well.
 _GOTOTOP