_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
display cases -which ones? how do you store y
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 08:22 AM UTC
I recently realized that I have tons of almost-finished models sitting on my copmuter-desk. (Can't help it -it feels sad to finish a model - from that point on it's just a dust-collector. The real fun is in the building.)
I really need display cases for my kits, because I don't have any dedicated space for them, so they badly need protection.
Could you recommend some cheap (or reasonably priced) clear cases for 1/35 tanks, 1/48 airplanes? (Tanks might not be that problematic, they should fit into the 1:24 car cases; but my MiG-21 is getting ready and already sustaining damage...)
How about an AM Mitchel???

Also: is it adivsable to actually glue the model onto the base of the case? Can it be transported this way? (With airplanes it might prove problematic since the undercarriage can break. But tanks might be OK.)

How do you take care of your finished models, anyway?
How do you transpot them? (I'm seriously thinking about storing the models in boxes ready to transport.)
Thanks
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
You may be able to go to a custom glass store and get them to make a plexi-glass case for you. Another alternative is to purchase an inexpensive bookcase from a "knock down" furniture store (IKEA etc). You can then get some plexi from the harware store. Another option is to get a stereo cabinet and do some minor modifications... presto... display case.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do you take care of your finished models, anyway?
How do you transpot them? (I'm seriously thinking about storing the models in boxes ready to transport.)
Thanks

This may seem strange, but I mount all my finshed projects on a base, with scenery or not. Then I purchase a tupperware tub large enought to hold it. I drill throught the bottom of the tub, and put a dry wall screw up through the hole into the base. I then store them sealed in the attic. I also use this way to transport stuff to shows. So far, knock wood, never had an issue! :-)
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:07 AM UTC
It sounds like an idea
How do you mount the kits on the base? (Especially airplanes -although tanks might have stability issues if only the tracks are glued to the base, and you rock the box....) Just put a screw in the belly?
Would you please post a photo?

I just bought two types of car displays -the big ones are good for tanks, even for a MiG-21, but not for an airplane with wider wings.

(I'm only a grad student, which means I'll be moving a lot around in the next few years - and this lifestyle does not favor static models. Maybe metal ones.)
 _GOTOTOP