_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Ramcke Brigade 3 figures Almost Done
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC
Hi All,

Looks like its figure week here at Kaki Model. In case anyone isn't already totally bored with figures I've submitted some pics of 3 out 5 figs I'll be using in my dio.

They are almost done except for weapons, accessories and some touch up.

The first pic shows the Kirin fig on the left. The inside of his sleeves not darkened yet. The other 2 are regular DML with some minor surgery.

Closeup of figs showing badges including those on caps and dented helmet for centre fig. Left fig has scratchbuilt buckle which was wrongly done. Suppose to have 2 prongs for officers. Too late coz I discovered that after I made it.

Sideview showing maps.

Topdown as you can see the fig on the left has a bit of epoxy on head
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
Waaah !
Attractive is the word for the color. The highs and lows on the uniforms are well done - subtle enough. They already look good in the pics and I can picture the actual figures to be better. The eagle emblems are nice. Some painters might overlook the black patch on which the emblem is embroided. That's what I mean by thinking out of the box. Perhaps you might have been doing this for some time and I must have missed it. Plus points also go to the chipped helmet. The officer's profile in the first and third pics looked like Rommel. In the second pic he looks like that actor who played a British officer in A Bridge Too Far. Speaking of Rommel, the actor who could best fit the role would be Ed Harris. Agree ?

I've been wanting to mention this but it always slipped my mind. A real test of how well done your figures are would be to list one on auction and see how it goes. "Compete" it there at a reasonable price and let the bidders decide. And if you do "win" not only do you feel you've achieved something you also get a "prize" in the form of some cash even if it's just for the heck of it. When you receive positive feedback from the buyer you can be assured it's an honest one. A notable one I got says it all in one word, "awesome". Another goes something like this "the figures were great and the StuG was an added bonus". These are from people you don't know and their opinions are "raw", "uncut" and unbiased. I think you're good enough to enter the arena.
Regards
Patrick

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC
Again you have been most generous "Holder of the Holy Shorts". But before I jump into that further what the heck are you doing up at 4.12am? Sure ain't work and it sure can't be the other "thingy".

Next Ed Harris would make an excellent Rommel. If for nothing else than the height and piercing commanding look. Have you seen him in German uniform where he acted as Germany's top sniper in Enemy At The Gates. Definitely Ed Harris for Rommel. An actor that doesn't get enough PR. I think the other actor your refering too in Bridge To Far is Edward Fox who portrayed Horrocks the commander of the tank forces. He has that pronounced chin.

Will give the auction thing a serious thought. However, this lot is definitely for the dio. Suprisingly the DML Ramcke Brigade set had fairly well moulded figs as you can see from the pics. Its too small to see but I gave the Kirin officer the shoulder board rank of Oberst and the other officer Major according to Fallschirmjager color.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC
CK i think you did well (IMO better than the fallschirmjgs) here... nicely done figs and uniform...

btw... ed harris would be a right choice for rommel too methinks...
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thanks Jimbo. Like I mentioned Kirin figs moulding really make painting a joy and the DML Ramcke brigade is pretty okay too. Too bad Ed Haris doesn't do all that many shows as he really has the killer look in his eyes.

BTW PM me if you still need advice on the Apt.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
i forgot to ask you when i'm at your place CK...
lupa la

what color u used for the uniform??

i cant comment right now..let the old timers comment first..beside i've seen them in reality

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 07:51 AM UTC
Boss banyak susah lah to get the right shade based on the tropical issue for Fallschirmjager as shown in Osprey. So as usual mix and match but I'm still not entirely happy with the shade. Suprisingly based on the book its suppose to be a bit more yellow.

Basecolor = Tamiya Dark Yellow(60%) + Model Color Mid brown(20%) and Tamiya Yellow (20%).

Highs = Basecolor (70%) + Yellow (25%) + White (5%)

Lows = Basecolor (60%) + Khaki (40%)

Those are the approximate mixes but as you know with acrylics the high and lows require blending and for the brightest high more yellow is used and for the darkest lows more khaki is used.
floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 108 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 08:30 AM UTC
Wahhhh Tang, your figures getting better and better everyday lah...I will need to get some tips and pointers from you when you have the time leh..

The uniform colour is spot on too. But I have 1 smal question. The officer - he's German right? But his cap..I dunno..the shape of it looks more like a British peak cap than a german one. For 1, the peak for a German cap is much shorter than a british one (Hehe..remember, I have a lot of repro officer caps with me LOL)

Adios amigo!
Alan
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 08:34 AM UTC
yo Alan....where have u been??
long time no see u around la
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hey Alan as far as I'm concerned I'm still behind you, Patrick and the other Alan but thank you for your kind comments. Actually I'm a bit unhappy with the other officer's belt buckle which I scratchbuilt even though its hardly noticeable. That's what you get when I don't do a detailed enough research.

Now that you mentioned about the Kirin fig's cap it does look a bit too heavy at the top. Suppose to be the Meyer cap in reference to a joke about Hermann Goering the Fallschirmjager's Big Boss. Don't know-lah maybe Kirin exaggerated it a bit too much. Still its a very nicely detailed, crisp fig done by Kirin.

Too bad they don't make too many models. This one came from a returned set which someone half assembled and returned to HHQ. Got it cheap, broke the glued parts which luckily wasn't superglued and restuck them.
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 09:20 AM UTC
CK, I have tried looking around for more Kirin figures in town but nothing yet at this moment.

Back to the subject, may I know how are you going to age the maps? IMHO, I would model the maps with more fold lines. Perhaps your were just about to do that. As for the figures, the Kirin figure does stand out amongst the three figures as the detail on it is sharp esp on the trouser's left front pocket.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:36 PM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Thks for keeping out an eye for Kirin. Normally I age my maps with a several drops of English tea. Chinese tea is not strong enough. However in this case I can't coz the map wasn't laser printed so water will wash off the color. I did think of folding them more but besides this map they will be at least one more draped over the VW beetle. They have a rolled effect as you can see from the edge which means the have come off a cylindrical map case rather than the map square map case on the officer. There will be one folded one in the VW. BTW its a map of Libya and Egypt.

Thanks for the observation.

Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 02:40 PM UTC
CK, would oil paints help to age the maps if the maps are pre-coated with flat clear? I was thinking of age maps with lots of folds, doggy ears and tears at the fold lines. I will probably try this myself on some German propaganda posters.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 09:19 AM UTC
Having carried out several experiments on aging maps I'll have to say the thickness and type of paper makes a lot of difference.

The ideal is to have laser printing. It withstands water but not all solvents (spirit okay). Oil will be not advisable for laser printed stuff but I haven't tried it. Why use water is because tea bags after dipping in hot water and cooled gives the best aged effects especially if you wish to age old manuscripts. Get art drawing paper, print what you want, put a drop or more depending on your paper size and after a while the center of the paper will remain relatively white but the corners will have the brown aged effect.

Thicknes of paper is also important for folding coz the thicker paper doesn't give you good creases. Rather thicker paper when folded and reopened has a thick crease line which is a bit big for 1/35. Getting the thinniest paper you can print on and used that if you want to fold it extensively.
CKLOO
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 02:48 PM UTC
CK , alternatively you can actually leave the map in the sun for a day. Quite effective.
floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 108 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:08 AM UTC
Sil, you're right - I've been away for a quite a while, haven't I? Well, I;'ve been extremely busy the last few months with the following:

1) New baby (!)
2) Damn lots of of #$@#% work in the office (Year end closing)
3) My house got broken into (!!)
4) My 3 yr old son got hospitalised for a lung infection

Sigh....so you can see why I've had no time for any modelling...The damn robbers took about RM20k worht of stuff from my house while we were out at work, but thankfully, my son has recovered fron his lung infection

Anyways, I'm now starting to get back to my models (I have a lot of them half finished) and I will hopefully post some pics of them soon

CYA
Alan
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sil, you're right - I've been away for a quite a while, haven't I? Well, I;'ve been extremely busy the last few months with the following:

1) New baby (!)
2) Damn lots of of #$@#% work in the office (Year end closing)
3) My house got broken into (!!)
4) My 3 yr old son got hospitalised for a lung infection

Sigh....so you can see why I've had no time for any modelling...The damn robbers took about RM20k worht of stuff from my house while we were out at work, but thankfully, my son has recovered fron his lung infection

Anyways, I'm now starting to get back to my models (I have a lot of them half finished) and I will hopefully post some pics of them soon

CYA
Alan

Hi Alan

sorry to hear about your incidents and your lost

but i'm glad everything is OK now... having my son is hospital last year, i knew what's the feeling..
good to hear your're ok now...

err i dont know u have two children...u're look so much younger la
anyway gong xi fatt choy to you....

_GOTOTOP