History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Pearl Harbour +61
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:49 PM UTC

Wow, 61 years ago. Only saw one breif mention of Pearl Harbor on TV today. Showed the reunion of survivors. One man said that this last year 5 of their members had died and the year before, 11.

I'm a pretty young guy and it amazes me that when I was born, WWII vets (including my Dad) were still young themselves.

Time passes quick!

Steve
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 05:38 AM UTC
Just shows how truly historically illerate Americans are. Right now 9/11 has all our attention and Pearl Harbor happened back in the 'black n' white' movie days. The idea that in 5 to 10 years WWI veterans will all be dead - 10 to 15 years the number of WWII veterans will be nearly zero concerns me. Without their voices reminding of the sacrifices of their generations will future generations ever realize how luck they are?

So it is a sad state of affairs that Pearl Harbor gets little to no mention.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just shows how truly historically illerate Americans are. Right now 9/11 has all our attention and Pearl Harbor happened back in the 'black n' white' movie days. The idea that in 5 to 10 years WWI veterans will all be dead - 10 to 15 years the number of WWII veterans will be nearly zero concerns me. Without their voices reminding of the sacrifices of their generations will future generations ever realize how luck they are?

So it is a sad state of affairs that Pearl Harbor gets little to no mention.

Well, time marches on. The History channel repeated its Pearl Harbor show, so that was nice.

At least the WWII vets are well documented and recorded compared to WWI or even earlier conflicts.

Steve