Trouble with decals?
Wrinked Decals: Can they be fixed?
klimmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC
I am looking for some help from all of you.
I am building 2 Hasagawa 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk Vb's and just started putting on the decals last night. When I installed the large roundels to the tops of the wings, one decal wrinkled terribly as it dried. The other side wrinkled slightly, but not as bad. I am using Solva-set as my setting solution. Is there a way that I can salvage these decals? I also have Mr. Softener, but have not used it to date. None of the other decals had an issue, just the large ones on the top of the wings. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC
I've saved some from this state before, but it doesn't always work. You'll need to absolutely soak it in the strongest decal solvent you've got, let it sit for a bit, then use a damp, lint-free cloth or towel to press it down. Multiple applications will probably be required. Others may have better suggestions, but this is what I've done in the past.
klimmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks for your advice, I will give it a shot.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:37 AM UTC
I'm going to go the other way and say DO NOT use the strongest solvent. Especially if you intend to touch the decal.The solvent does what the name implies, and while dissolving the film away is a good thing once your decal is in place, it is not good when you still have issues with it. I would suggest using setting solution, very wet, until the decal starts to float again. Prod it gently into position, and then gently blot, if at all. In many instance the decal will settle itself down nicely with no help. After it is in place, then you can hit it with solvent, even if there is a slight wrinkle or bubble or two left. Solvent usually cures this as well. As a last resort, a small prick with a new blade, and another application of solvent almost always works.
I've done dozens of locomotives this way, on which schemes are generally far more complex than armor or aircraft, and eventually they all turned out fine, regardless of how horrified I might have been the first few times I encountered the problem.
klimmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Well I thought I would give you guys an update. I hit the decal again with Solvaset and later on with Mr. Softener to no avail, the decal ended up being even worse. I ended up pulling the decal off. Now I am looking through my stash for a replacement.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 05:14 AM UTC
Solvaset is very strong stuff. I've been told that this sort of thing happens because the solvent is too strong for that particular decal. I recommend starting off with something like Micro Sol and Micro Set which are supposed to be relatively mild. Then if Micro Sol doesn't work after a coulple applications, you can move on to something like Solvaset.
 _GOTOTOP