Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
help with spyware?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
I've started getting a lot of pop ups for all sorts of stuff. Plus dialogue boxes on my screen telling me I have spyware in my system. My computer has noticably slowed. Any one out there got experience with spyware and how to get rid of it. I use spybot but it seems to have slipped by that.
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi,

Go to Symantec's security site. It can do a remote search of your computer for virus. It will also check for spyware. If it finds something they also provide a instructions on how to remove the malicious file(s). It's helped me in the past.

http://security.symantec.com

You can also do a security scan of you system to find weaknesses.

Good Luck!

Scott
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
Spybot Search and destroy is good too.
Linkage:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

I run Adaware and Spybot on a regular basis.

Shaun.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
Try the latest offering from "The Borg" AKA Microsoft. Working well on our systems at the hospital.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I have spybot installed and run it everyday. I also have XP service pack two. Problem started after automatic updates. I suspect it came in an email with an attachment from my sister. I downloaded adaware which is telling me I have spyware and viruses but not what to do about them. I have disconnected my computer from the internet and am waiting a friend of mine who is an IT professional to have a look at it.
I'm typing this in an internet cafe
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
Pat that spyware pop up is actually a virus called Unspy. Its a low rated virus, its intention is to open up your internet explorer and take you to a place that is selling anti spyware. If that's not happening your windows probly has the port blocked it wants to use automatically. It gets pretty tangled up in your computers registry. I'm using Nortons 2005 with anti spyware, if you go to Norton you might be able to find info on it with the search engine about how to remove it.

Good Luck.