_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Any interesting War Museum in U.K ?
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi all,

When I was in France for work the last time, I took about a week off and travel to Normandy to see the D-Day beach landing and visit some War museum....during that time, digital camera was still the technology of the future....(about 8 year back)...most of the picture I took with my "Analog" camera were either out of focus...too dark....and just bad...

This summer, I may need to travelling to London during the summer for some...blah....blah....blah.....

Well...I thought since I will be in london, I might as well visit some War Museum, I now have a Canon digital camera and a 1GB SD card....and also an 80GB hard-disk....I figure I can take about 1000 picture before I run out of space...

Anywhere in England, Scotland, Wales that has War museum that is worth a visit ?

I have been to Imperial War museum in london...was interesting....but I am looking for those museum with lots of Vehicle out-door...

I guess it will make armour modelling more interesting if I get to see any WWII vehicle in scale 1:1....

1) Anyone out there any good War museum in U.K or
2) Is there any tour operator in U.K that do day tour to War site or museum....

I know in South Korea....there are tour operator that do half a day tour to 38th parallel....but I had a flight to catch then.....

Cheers....
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:23 PM UTC
They have probably one of the best museums for tanks.

When my wife and I go to England next year this is one of my #1 priorities to go see.

TANK MUSEUM
Smeagol
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC
I've been to Bovington tank museum plently of times. It's got so many tanks including a tiger I and II
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
There's loads.

Imperial War Museum Duxford
RAF Museum, Hendon
RAF Museum, Cosford, Shropshire
De Havilland Museum, London Colney, Herts
Tank Museum, Bovington, Dorset
FAA Museum, RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset
Submarine Museum, Gosport
HMS Victory
HMS Belfast
Royal Armouries

Plus many smaller museums, espec a/c

kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
if you go to the tank muesuem see if the ranges are closed. you can drive thru.if you stop on the hill you can look down at knocked out cheiftains good photos can be taken . aslo if you turn left you can watch driver training on the test track. its a public stopping place sometimes they run tanks/ warroirs/transporters round out of the works. worth hanging about for there is a footpath across but never done it. have fun [ left out of museum go thru village past army camp pass asbo factory car park on right]
ps dont take piccys of the camp even theres tanks on the gate as guardians the army do not like it
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:51 AM UTC
I can't believe you forgot the Tower of London in your extensive list :-)
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi,
As I spent almost two years living just across the road whilst in the Army the Tank Museum at Bovington Camp in Dorset is superb. Where I live now in East Anglia you have Duxford near Cambridge which has both Military and Civilian Aircraft as well as agood selection of vehicles, if you visit on a Sunday there are often flying displays.
One that may not be so well known, but often crops up in Discovery programmes is the Muckleborough collection, where they regularly show some vehicles driving about. This is on the Norfolk coast and is a beautiful area to visit.

I am sure that some of us Brits will only be too pleased to help you with advice about our local areas.

Let me know nearer the time.

Regards,

John
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:45 AM UTC

As a taster..............
http://www.msnusers.com/RecoveryandEngineerVehicles/pictures
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This summer, I may need to travelling to London during the summer for some...blah....blah....blah.....

Dude!

If you're going to the UK in Summer, you HAVE TO go to the War and Peace Show - there's something there for every taste, Kettenrads and bikes and Jeeps of every description on up to insanely huge Russian mobile pontoon bridges and an amazing array of armour, classic and modern.

Don't go expecting to find a working Tiger 1, but there's bound to be the ex BoB 'Tiger' (based on a stripped down T55) - there's also a full array of impressive Living history displays and live, noisy, full-on full auto 'battles' in the arena.

Later in the year, don't miss Military Odyssey - similar to the above, but fewer vehicles and more re-enactors covering a wider range of history, but if you hang out in the beer tent, where else will you be able to see a FeldGendarme knocking back the amber nectar with a Roman centurion and a couple of French infantrymen from Napoleon's Army..?

Wish I could get back to both of 'em...
Happy days...

acav out
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me know nearer the time.Regards,

John

Hi John and acav,

thanks for the offer and the information provided. I will let you know near to the time...thanks.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC
Shaun (winchweight) got most of them except the British National Army Museum - my personal favorite -- no outdoor armor stuff, but if you are into the Empire, Redcoats, the Old Contemptibles, & Tommy Atkins, etc, this is the place to go ....
http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/

And there are numerous regimental museums -- usually uniforms, paintings, and the old mess silver, but interesting for the tradition ...

John
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Let me know nearer the time.Regards,

John

Hi John and acav,

thanks for the offer and the information provided. I will let you know near to the time...thanks.

Like, just in case you missed it, those bold words in my original post are clickable links - go visit the sites for a taster of what you can see there...

acav out
 _GOTOTOP