_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Removing molded on detail help
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
I am working on an Academy M48A5 Along the fenders it has a 1mm lip? that has to be removed to make the U.S. version It runs from front to back What would be the best way to remove it? I have some #17 chisel blades for my X-acto knife

Hopefully I can remove it without getting any damage or uneven surfaces to the fenders Here's a photo of the area I'm talking about I painted the area that needs removed red Thanks in advance

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Sorry chad the photo is too blurry for me to see but I normally use my knife as a scraper and once it is low enough then a needle file. After that make sure you support the guard from underneath and use a sanding block with fine sandpaper to finish.

If you try and cut the raised detail off you will end up damaging elsewhere. Believe me I have been there and done that. :-) LOL.

Cheers
Cliff
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hey Chad the way I'd go about it is to tape a small metal ruler or something like it and using my hobby knife with a number 11 blade, scribe slowley useing the back side of the blade. Moving slowley and following the straight will make a stright and clean cut. I use this method all the time opening up panels and never hade a problem or mess. Other ways are sanding, or even a saw blade in your hobby knife.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC
Gents

Thanks for the help Joe I never even thought about the saw method
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 05:18 AM UTC
Mission models who make the Etchmate, Grabhandler and Multi -Tools make a purpose built modelling chisel which according to the data is specifically designed for this purpose. They also produce replacement tips. It looks to be similar to one that Tristar used to produce. They are damned sharp though so care needs to be taken.

http://www.etchmate.com/

Anyway another option for you.

John
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC
The Mission Models mini-chisel ...
Jon twisted my arm at the nats & I got one -- pricey but well worth it. Great balance & control. I'm having far fewer stray gouges & things these days ...

John
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Mission Models mini-chisel ...
Jon twisted my arm at the nats & I got one -- pricey but well worth it. Great balance & control. I'm having far fewer stray gouges & things these days ...

John

As a great man named Homer Simpson once said D'OH!!! I forgot I had that thing :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP