_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Microsol Microset.. what is it?
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC
I notice on the bottles nowhere does it mention what these liquids really are...

Just had a spill of Microset, and I'd really like to know what this stuff contains if anyone knows...

Martyn
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
the smell reminds me of some of the more benign things we used to use in darkrooms, slightly acidic in nature. I've spilled it and never had any ill effects.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
Likewise, I have often spilt in even in my lap and although I had very minor irritation until I washed it off, there were no lasting effects to my flesh or my clothing.
Mind you I wouldn't drink it.....much prefer single malt

With it being American in origin, if it had any Hazchem issues, I am sure that it would be plastered all over the bottle, to keep in line with federal law like many other products like some paints and glues.

Hope it helps

John
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
Well I never thought that I could tie pre-natel class and modeling together but here it is.

In one of the classes my wife and I went too we talked about having a home thats too clean and how that can harm children. And how these cleaners they push arn't that healthy. We watched a show about the cleaners, chemicals etc that we consumers use in the home.

I don't know what the rules are for in other countries but in Canada manufactures don't have to tell whats exactly in these products. Sure they can tell you that is dangerous but thats about it. Some of the cleaners we use have some pretty nasty stuff in them.

In the workplace I can request a MSDS sheet for anything there and find out whats in it. At home I am SOL.

I often wonder myself about some of the things we use in this hobby. I would like to think that exposure is low but who knows over time?

SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
With all the chemicals and such we use in this hobby that isn't labelled, or perhaps it is but its in a language we don't speak.... I just can't take for granted that because its made in the US and no warnings it must be safe.

Hell it probably is, I recall smelling something similar which we used to clean rubber rollers in a plastic film manufacturing plant, too long ago to remember what it actually was...

cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
Martyn

One of them, can not remember right now, is a siliution of acetic acid (read vinager). While acetic acid is a hazardous chemical (I am a regulatory manager and a former P-Chemist), concentrations in weak soution are not hazardous.

Acetic acid has an oder, but is might tasty when mixed with olive oil.

As for the other, I have smelled this and all I can say is it is a surfractant (read - soap). Nothing else jumps out at me.

Yes, I have looked at these bottle in the past and wonder why/how they are not fitting the OSHA regirements of labeling. The company has an address even here in liberal and wacky California, so all I can receomend is write them and request a "MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet".

Dave
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC
Sent Microscale an email, we'll see what happens.

Likely be some cheap chemical we could buy 10 gal of at the grocery store for the price of the hobby size.

I recall where I last smelled Microset... worked for a guy who serviced X-ray film processing machines, at least similar anyways. Yeah they both (microset and fixer) smell like vinegar, though take a good whiff and see if you aren't coughing.

Martyn
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:21 AM UTC
[quote]Sent Microscale an email, we'll see what happens.

Likely be some cheap chemical we could buy 10 gal of at the grocery store for the price of the hobby size.
/quote]

Martyn,

when you get the MSDSs, drop me a note if you ahve any questions.

Dave
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:34 AM UTC
i use vinegar, it works well too.

reb
 _GOTOTOP