Hosted by Matt Leese
Liquid cement over tube glue?
cap
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:37 PM UTC
I've always used testors tube glue with my models, mainly because that was what I started out modeling with and i've never curbed the habit. One time i tried liquid cement but found that it was so runny it got on my fingers and i left some horrible finger impressions on the model. Is there any benefit to using liquid cement over tube glue? Thanks,
cap
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 05:41 PM UTC
I use the Testors in the bottle. You just have to be careful where you put it. You can trim the brush that comes in the lid to get more control over where the glue goes or use a small paint brush.

Shaun
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC
I never found tube glue to be as effective as most thin bottle glues are more efficient at welding the plastic together. If you use a small paint brush or touch and flow applicator you can accurately get the liquid to flow along a joint by caphillery action. You do have to be careful with overflow and finger prints.
I always found that most tube glues often have airpockets that would flood at inopportune moments causing real problems with melting.
I do sometimes us Revell contacta where the glue is fed via a steel tube but find that blockages are a problem.
Liquid glue take a little practice to use like all materials and I have found that you get superior joins and use less glue.

This is my opinion based on my own experience over many years and hope it helps you.

Regards,

John
cap
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
Thanks Keenan and Jimurc, i think i'll give it a try. As with other things i suppose it is just a matter of trial and error
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC
Usually, I use Testors and Humbrol gel glue. After a while, I found Plastrucy plastic weld (cames liquid in a bottle), and ever since I use it mainly in things that need quik glueing. YouŽll need to get use to it, at the beginning I started same as you, but in time the experience will teach you how to avoid problems

Cheers
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:05 AM UTC
I hardly ever use the tube glue. I bought a tube when I got back into the hobby 2 years ago and I have hardly touched it.

I mainly use Tamiyas Extra Thin or Testors Liquid.

I only pull out the tube glue when I have something thats being a pain to put togther.

I just find liquid glue much easier to use.
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 316 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Keenan and Jimurc, i think i'll give it a try. As with other things i suppose it is just a matter of trial and error

Try the Tamiya Extra Thin. The stuff is magic! All you do is put the parts together and brush a little bit of the stuff on the joint from the outside. It is so thin that capillary action pulls it the length of most joints and it does not craze the plastic (unless applied in a very thick drop). This results in a stronger, much neater bond. I wouldn't build without it.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
I use tube glue, liquid glu as well as CA glue. Depending on the parts I am connecting and the required strength I use different option.

My primary glue is liquid. In situations where I do not want "runs" I will use tube glue. In situations where maximum strength is required (i.e. rear idlers that tend to break contact when using rubberband tracks.)
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
I use both Testors tube & liquid glue. For major assembltes (huls/turrets) I use tube and for smaller pieces I use liquid. Foe simualting cast armour I mix both together and dab it on the part. Having both gives you flexibility in the thickness of glue.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 03:12 PM UTC
I usually use Revell Contacta, the nozzle can be kept clear with the help of a nylon bristle nicked from a brush in the kitchen

With the more liquid glues, it's best to use a paintbrush as they are more precise than the brushes that come in the bottle.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Normally I use for regular glue, Tamiya regular liquid cement, or Tamiya Extra Thin for most things.

For PE and stubborn stuff, I use either Loc-Tite Gel CA, or Loc-tite Thin CA. Stuff works great, and comes in a great applicator bottle...lasts a long while too!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
Tamiya Extra Thin for plastic to plastic and CA for PE & Resin
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 08:23 AM UTC
What I do is mix some tube glue into a bottle of liquid glue to make a thicker, more viscous composition. I use this in conjuction with regular liquid glue, but I seldom use tube glue anymore.
Der_Oberst
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
Coming back to modeling I've had the same question about glues.. here's what my experience has been.

The LHS recommended Tenax, but I can't seem to make it work successfully. It seems to dry too quickly. I'm now using Tamiya's (both the regular and extra thin) and they seem to work really well.

I bought some Testors liquid but the smell is awful and it seems a bit too aggressive on the plastic.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
For all ltype of bottle liquid cements, I use a technical drafting pen I got at a yard sale. All metal construction, easy to control flow, easy clean up of any build up.
They are regularly available on Ebay with a compass which is another very useful tool for measuring when scratchbuilding or converting things.
Genetk44
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 85 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 06:52 PM UTC
I like Pro Weld by the Ambroid Company....I just use a fine paintbrush for application to small parts and the bottle-cap brush for larger parts. Gel type CA in certain instances. Don't like the tube stuff at all.
Gene
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 08:56 PM UTC
Ambroid Pro-Weld and Tamiya Extra thin for me. Wouldn't use anything else, and don't seem to need to.

Mike

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 09:09 PM UTC
I use CA thin type for all kit glueing. A drop or two in a bottle cap and a small gauge wire applicator with a loop-eye on the end(home made). Strong,clean bond and no smell or melt hazard.More forgiving and more working time than you would think.
cheers!
 _GOTOTOP