_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Is this a jerry can of WW2 era?
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:43 PM UTC
I was just wondering if these pictures of jerry cans are indictive for the type of jerryy cans had at the time of WW2.

I want to change my cans I have in my WC-52 entry for MOM Jan and Move It Again.

TIA
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:47 PM UTC
Yep, pretty much the same,apart from the colour!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:52 PM UTC
Cool! I thought I was going to have to search high and low to find a good source! But lo and behold I had it in my own shed!!!
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 02:09 PM UTC
But that's not a U.S. can, is it? Wondering what country might have used one like that? Just curious.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 02:25 PM UTC
It is bought in Sweden, so I have no idea where it is from. The jerry can is from Germany originally - hence the name jerry can. All I know is Al pointed out that I had the wrong type of can for my WC-52 entry for MOM and Move it again. I don't know really if they are used in the US or not...
Torchy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 02:35 PM UTC
The can in the pic is the German style,which was copied by the British (the Brit ones had the WD stamp on them).
The allies used captured German cans,so why can't you use this style on your model???
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 03:39 PM UTC
I really wasn't thinking in terms of use not use, I am more questioning what the right style of can to use. I intend to convert the ones I have to be the type of the picture, but what was the conventional type of petrol carrier before the jerry can. I ask this out of ignorance, nothing else...
Torchy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:08 PM UTC
Brian
If I remember correctly,the Italeri Jerry can set contained three types US Brit and German,and are very good.
PM me your address and I will send you a selection
Andy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC
US also used this style can early in the war. It was coppied from the Brit copy of the German can. It was called a Blitz can by the US.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
The old Jerry cans haven't changed since it was issued. IIRC, the US version has 2 handles, in which Germans has 3 of them as shown in your pic.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The old Jerry cans haven't changed since it was issued. IIRC, the US version has 2 handles, in which Germans has 3 of them as shown in your pic.

US version also had 3 handles. The old US/Ger Jerry Can set by Tamiya with Blitz cans only had 2 handles, which was incorrect. They molded the two sides with handles, thus elliminating the center handle.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is bought in Sweden

The can in the photo has, I believe "20L" near the top on the side standing for its capacity, 20 liters or about 5 US Gal. That would make it of European origin, even if it was made post war. Not Brit and not US.

Quoted Text

The jerry can is from Germany originally - hence the name jerry can.

The "jerry" in jerrycan does refer to the Germans, but the jerrycan was originally invented by the Italians just prior to the war and copied by the Germans and then by everyone else.

Quoted Text

but what was the conventional type of petrol carrier before the jerry can

Depends upon the army. In the Brit army, they used rectangular 2 and 4 gallon sheet metal containers called "tin flimsies" for their propensity to split upon the slightest of rough handling. These were standard on Brit vehicles long into the war and could be seen right up until the end of the war.

They were built so flimsy because they were meant to be packaged and shipped, full, while inside a wooden crate. You took the top off the sturdy crate and then removed your flimsy liquid container, that was really only a liner for the crate, and then threw it away. No-one was supposed to lash the bloody things to the sides of tanks as they trundled off to a shooting war.

If you have ever bought paint t hinner in those metal containers (and some of us are old enough to remember when that was the _only_ way to buy it) then you have an idea of the construction and the lack of strength. I have seen large containers of olive oil for sale packed much the same way today.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP