_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Panzer Camo
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 311 Posts
KitMaker Network: 98 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
Quick question. I just got the base coat down on my tank and need some camo help. I have never done a camo pattern on a Panzer before and need some advice. Were the insides of the armor skirts also painted camo, or just the outside. I know most painting was done in the field have hazardly so I would assume that only outsides would be painted, but you know what happens when you assume. I thought I would ask the resident experts for help. Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: Would the camo pattern on a Panzer III be hard edge or soft edge. I was going to use the random line pattern, but in 1/72 scale it could get very tedious.

Cheers,
Ryan
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
I'm sure only the oustide of armor skirts would have camo.....what would be the point of painting camo on something the enemy can't see?
As for the Pz III, I would think it would have a soft edged camo, painted in the field.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 03:56 AM UTC
Ryan -

Not the expert by any means and you might get more of the "German AFVs" expertise by posting on "Armor" forum also. It also depends on what/when/where as far as your PZKpfw III goes. Earlier versions had the panzer gray base coat then after 1943 timeframe, it changes to "dunklegelb" (dark yellow) as base coat. To that you could add the "olive green" and "red brown" schemes. As for the side skirts (which leads me to believe you're talking along the lines of a PzKpfw III J to M maybe?). They'd only be painted in the camo scheme on the outside and base coat elsewhere I would believe.

Blade48mrd
 _GOTOTOP