_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
fallschirmjager uniform
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC
hey all....

CK mentioned fallschirmjager uniform smocks of the 1st 2nd 3rd types etc.... what are the differences in appearance and time period? and based on their uniforms can this fig set be used in normandy?

ta ta.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:30 PM UTC
Jimbo,
i think boleh kot...as CK mentioned Fallschimjager ade one typr of pattern only...but let's wait for him

i still waiting my fallshimjager books
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

if i recall, HHQ also have a Concord book on fallschirmjagers... is that what u ordered?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

if i recall, HHQ also have a Concord book on fallschirmjagers... is that what u ordered?

weii...mana ada that book in HHQ? last time i went there takde pon......

HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
Jimbo,

Only when I intend to do a project on a particular subject will I do some research but at the moment I'm not doing Normandy. A quick way though would be to compare the picture you've submited with the rest of the DML range from where this picture came from. The Hedgerow Hunters set perhaps ? Hope this helps.

moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jimbo,

Only when I intend to do a project on a particular subject will I do some research but at the moment I'm not doing Normandy. A quick way though would be to compare the picture you've submited with the rest of the DML range from where this picture came from. The Hedgerow Hunters set perhaps ? Hope this helps.

thanks patrick. i've already got that fallschirm set (prev pic) and i was thinking of mating them to my old tiger I for a normandy dio... hmmm
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Jimbo,

Sorry to reply so late. My internet connection at the office is slower than a snail so much so I couldn't even logoff Amorama. So although you may see my name below actually I couldn't get on since Friday morning.

Okay, first off there were 3 smock designs all in all. The 1st smock was usually in olive/ field grey. The para wearing it had to slip into the legs as though they were wearing short pants. Imagine if he had to pee he had to take out his belt with his barang barang, then take out the smock then only unzip his pants. Not good for emergencies such as diarrohea.

The 2nd. smock was out by the Crete campaign around 1941. It had additional hidden cargo pockets and more importantly the leg portion had buttons so they could be opened and the smock became like a regular coat. It came out in 2 camo schemes, the tropical splinter pattern (green/brown over tan or orange brown/brown over tan) and later around 1943/44 as the water drop splinter pattern. The difference between the 2 camos was the water drop basically had fine, vertical brownish/greenish lines on the tan background and the splinter pattern had diffused edges.

The 3rd. "smock" which isn't really a smock but a coat came out in late 1944. By then there were hardly anymore airborne ops so they dispensed with the leg buttons and it just became a regular coat. These were usually in the water drop camo pattern with a greenish background as well a tan one. DML Ardennes paras have the camo but not the 3rd "smock". From what I can see the veterans held on to the dear 2nd. pattern smocks.

Not to worry about featuring that set in Normandy Jimbo which if I'm not wrong features Cassino. From what I can make out they're likely to be the 2nd. smock which was still worn around Normandy. There is an excellent book but in B & W called Hitler's Sky Warriors. It details all the campaigns of the Fallschirmjager with 250 photos. The second smock was definitely around Normandy in the green/brown splinter pattern as well as the 3rd "smock/coat" issued to new recruits.

I would recommend Osprey's book on German Fallschirmjager as a very good reference on color schemes. I've shown Zaidi both books. BTW as an additional note the smock was so good the British paras copied the design to some extent for their smocks.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Hope that helps.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC
Oh I forgot here's a website which should provide you general info in lieu of Osprey's book. Very informative.

http://herbertholeman.com/para/units/german.php
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
ah... thanks for the exhaustive information CK, that really helps...
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
No problemo Jimbo. Sudah tua lah that's why the cerita sooo panjang. Its like telling the whole story from the day you were born only to explain why you kentut.

Hmmm.....why the sudden interest my friend on Fallschirmjager. According to our Boss whom I met this weekend I'm to be blame for influencing him to buy Alpine figures. Mind you I don't even own an Alpine figure.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its like telling the whole story from the day you were born only to explain why you kentut.

:-) :-)

Quoted Text

Hmmm.....why the sudden interest my friend on Fallschirmjager. According to our Boss whom I met this weekend I'm to be blame for influencing him to buy Alpine figures. Mind you I don't even own an Alpine figure.

actually i kadang2 only do figures but always liked the fallschirms coz of their interesting weapons and uniform.....

what did you and zaidi talked about?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:19 AM UTC
The Boss came over my house this weekend. Well actually he was doing his shopping in TESCO so he dropped in. When I asked him why he's doing figures now he says its my "fault" that I influenced him. :-)

No, we had quite a good time talking about how both of us were and still are wasting our money.
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, we had quite a good time talking about how both of us were and still are wasting our money.

Aaagh! That's better. At least my name is not mentioned in this case. BTW, guys I am the only one that's is not doing figure painting..lah.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Aaagh! That's better. At least my name is not mentioned in this case. BTW, guys I am the only one that's is not doing figure painting..lah.

tetttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!! your name was mentioned too.... hahaha

CK, let it be our secret ehh??

btw, i dont blame u for buying the alpine figures la... blame u for forcing me to do figure!!!

btw, any of you should pay CK a visit la.... or maybe we can visit each other.... so far i've been to CK's house..and jimbo has been to mine........

how about it guys?? we can ngumpat each other...wakakaka
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

btw, any of you should pay CK a visit la.... or maybe we can visit each other.... so far i've been to CK's house..and jimbo has been to mine........

how about it guys?? we can ngumpat each other...wakakaka

CK your'e going to hold an open house this CNY right?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 06:08 AM UTC
Jimbo my man you're more than welcome to drop in anytime. No need open house. Actually I've never had an open house. At any rate I'm over my parent's house most of time for CNY which is just in PJ.

BTW you're not too far away. Just give me a call if you're around the TESCO Puchong area. Besides we can discuss about organizing a komplot to make Kenny buy the TANK figs.

Aren't you getting any of the GEN 2 figs from Patrick. At RM 28 before postage its definitely a bargain especially the Korsun defence with 6 figs to boot.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aren't you getting any of the GEN 2 figs from Patrick. At RM 28 before postage its definitely a bargain especially the Korsun defence with 6 figs to boot.

mmm.... sometimes i like to do figs, but at 40+ parts per figure & weapons (plus the tinny PEs) ..that really scares me .... now, those gen2 figs have great poses but i wish DML released them in 2 versions: a 'super-detailed' and 'lite/normal' version... he he... too complicated la for a clumsy modeller like me... :-)
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW you're not too far away. Just give me a call if you're around the TESCO Puchong area. Besides we can discuss about organizing a komplot to make Kenny buy the TANK figs.

Hey! Me buying Tank figs? Hmmmp! Maybe but not so soon.
CKLOO
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC
I was just trying out the Gen 2 figures and it beats the hell out of me how you can sand down or trim any imperfections. Do you guys have the same problem with fuzzy sanding with either sandpaper or file on this type of sofy vinyl like plastic?

BTW: the tank figures are cool? Tak jumpa pun price list dia orang???
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
Loo, Gen 2 figures are not soft. They are hard styrene. I believe the figure you are working with is the Dragon DS figures. I had to use a chisel to trim and clean in my last project.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hi CKLoo,

Actually I quite enjoy working with DML figs as I do a fair bit of surgery on them (i.e sanding off long sleeves to short sleeves, etc.). Although I hate trimming off the seam lines which always seem to cleverly hide themselves even after I prime them they're easy to work with. The older DML figs are harder stryene while I've noticed they've switched to a slightly "soft" styrene in the later models.

Still no problem. Just use an Xacto blade (sold at ACE hardware) and 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper.
 _GOTOTOP