_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Matt varnish advice
Gloss
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 77 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC
I posted this topic on the main AFV forum, however I think I should have posted it here as it is intended more for UK modellers.

I am wondering what are the favourite makes of matt varnish to use on AFV's, either in a spray can or tin/bottle and who are the best retailers in the UK to buy these from.

I have just started to use an airbrush, so i would be interested in a recommended make for this too.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:45 PM UTC
Ive only just started modelling again so havent got a wealth of experience to draw on,but I coat my models with Klear,before and after decalling, then after an oil wash I use Humbrol Matt Varnish.
Straight out of the rattlecan in very light coats,almost a mist,and it dries to a very nice even matt finish.
As I said,,I havent tried anything else but the Humbrol Matt certainly works for me.
Hope this helps
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi. I always used the rattlecan Humbrol matt varnish. But apparently they've dropped it from their range and now I can't get it anywhere. Where are you getting it from?
jlmurc
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi,

I tend to use:-
Polly Scale flat varnish, which is in similar size bottles to the defunct Aeromaster Range. Thin with water.
Xtrcrilix Flat from Hannants, a huge bottle at a great price again thin with water.
Get these from Hannants.
Recently as I have started using Vallejo paints in a big way, I have found really good results with their own flat varnish thinned with you guessed it water. Try Panther Models on Ebay, who are great suppliers, well priced and efficient.

Oh I do really only airbrush though although Polly Scale does brush well if properly thinned and applied in thin coats.

Hope this helps,

John
jlmurc
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC
Mark,

I just checked Panther models have both the Vallejo Matt Varnish in Aerosol [not tried] and the bottle type.

Do a search for Vallejo and then pick those from Panther Models.

Regards,

John
Gloss
Visit this Community
entire network: 77 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
Many thanks for your help so far everyone.

Good idea John, although I use Vallejo paints frequently as they are so good for brush painting, I had not thought of using their varnish. I will try this to see how effective it is. Fortunately, a local general hobby shop near to me sells it.

Again, many thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

Mark
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC
I read in another thread that one of the guys here uses artists fixative, the aerosol type that artists spray on to pastel pictures to fix the pastels in place. He said that if misted on in light coats it gives a nice matt finish. I am going to buy some this weekend to try out.
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:35 PM UTC
Hi all.
Shaun...

Quoted Text

Hi. I always used the rattlecan Humbrol matt varnish. But apparently they've dropped it from their range and now I can't get it anywhere. Where are you getting it from?

I got mine from C+B Models in Derby.

Didnt know that Humbrol had dropped it. I will have to pick up a few cans next time Im passing
 _GOTOTOP