_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Streiocizem???
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hey every one! :-)

first I appologise for the realy bad spelling of the title name.

What do you guys think about sterio types?...I mean I have alot of my friends are skaters and we go out often and skate here and there. When we walk through shopping centers holding our skateboards (skaties) and not doing anythign bad (not shoplifting, not smoking, not skating inside) people walk past and give us bad looks like what are you doing here?...one time I walked past a security guard and he pulled us over and said "please leave!"...we asked "for what?"...the guard replyed "for having skakeboards in here" (even though we wernt skating inside)...this family walked past and I heard them say things like "potheads" "vandalists" "criminals" "punks" an old woman one day even walked up to us and said those things should be burned!!!!!!! *pointing at our skaties*.
I HATE STERIO TYPES!!!==)
And that brings me to models...just because we chill and make things that dosent mean we have no life!...I am sure everyone here has fun with friends!...has partys!...goes out to friends places!...no matter what age we have fun out side of modeling!...I have been sterio typed for making models!...its crap!...I mean hey!...I see my girlfriend on the weekends...I have parties with friends and drink too mutch (my fault...)...and go out to see movies and gerneraly go out. I mean I sometimes do things I shouldnt but I shouldent be classified as a pothead if I skate or a "nerd" with no life cos I make models!...
What do you guys think?
Thanks! :-)
Cris
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 06:35 PM UTC
I have to totally disagree with you. I for one don't have a girlfriend or wife, don't have alot of friends or party much. I do like to read books on history/military and watch the history channel. And for the last year and a half have gotten back to loving spending my evenings alone building models. I have gotten to the point where i don't like to be outside anymore. I don't have any fun outside of modeling and talking about modelling. I have put on 25 pounds and now my star trek and hobbit suits won't fit anymore. I think i should be the poster child for modelling sterotypes. WINK WINK
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 06:47 PM UTC
oh no...I dont mean it like that!...I just mean people should get to know someone befpre you judge them...Sorry if I affended you...I dint mean it
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 07:03 PM UTC
I'm just messing with you Gate, I think that having a closed mind and believing in sterotypes is no way to live. Just look at all the different guys we have on this site from all over the world. And for the record, I don't have a Star trek suit, and do occasionally get outdoors and out of the paint fumes in my basement.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just messing with you Gate, I think that having a closed mind and believing in sterotypes is no way to live. Just look at all the different guys we have on this site from all over the world. And for the record, I don't have a Star trek suit, and do occasionally get outdoors and out of the paint fumes in my basement.

Bison, who are we kidding, now let us see that Star Trek Suit!, And I also want to say because I enjoy scented candles, doesn't mean I am a woman! I just really you know into aromatheropy, it soothes my mind, and with some Kenny-G, and maybe a bubble bath......Or Crap! I am a woman! #:-)
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And that brings me to models...just because we chill and make things that dosent mean we have no life!...I am sure everyone here has fun with friends!...has partys!...goes out to friends places!...no matter what age we have fun out side of modeling!...I have been sterio typed for making models!...its crap!...I mean hey!...I see my girlfriend on the weekends...I have parties with friends and drink too mutch (my fault...)...and go out to see movies and gerneraly go out. I mean I sometimes do things I shouldnt but I shouldent be classified as a pothead if I skate or a "nerd" with no life cos I make models!...
What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Cris

Totally agree i am not a nerd just cause i modle even thoghu my gf and ALL friends think its for nerds.
In fact i play allot of sports and play them well
which leeds me to the fact that
MODELING IS FOR PIMPS
BRANDENUS PIMPUS
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 08:05 PM UTC
Brandus Pimpus,

It's MODELLING, 2 "L".... #:-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:13 PM UTC
I have some kind of the same problem

What I experienced is that many people do not understand modelling that`s why they all put it in the folder "kiddy-stuff" But as soon as they see some things that I made they get interested and start to ask things. From that point they start to see it as a fullgrown hobby for every age. The stigmatism stops and you`ll never hear any stereotypes about the the best hobby ever.
As far as I can go on the stereotype that modellers don`t have a social life. Never go outdoors. Don`t go to parties and so on never had a problem with that. I go to live bands regularly for instance I get my Rolling Stones ticket this sunday. I like to go to different punkbands, I got a girlfriend who likes the hobby that I do. In that way that she will never make a model but she surely is interested im what I do.
My Familiy was never a problem Although my grandparents had experienced the occupation during WW2 and still doesn`t like german people very much. The funny thing is that If I build something german, or there is a german soldier in it, He grunts but looks to every detail for he gives it back after 15 minutes. I learned the scalemodeling from my uncle and I made my first model together with him.
Friends not a problem at all they always ask When there will be new pics available online or they ask when my own site goes in the air.

I think that the Stereotyp-ism is only made by outsiders that actually don`t know what you are doing.
same thing with you cris when you are walking with your skateboard. people project a image on you and give you bad names. That`s probably because they don`t know who you are what you do but they see you as scum due to the influence of papers daily news on television and so further. As soon as they see you they have a meaning about you that you only do bad things that you smoke pot and more Sh@t like that
my advice is let them talk. If you are starting to get worrying about that you don`t have enough at your own life and you have to buy a couple of lifes more and believe me that is going to cost a lot of money :-) :-)
And never ever react on that point that`ll always make it worse. Never try to go in discussion with a security guard in a shoppingmall because due to his uniform he feels more mighty than a normal person,some sort of Ubermensch (sorry for all the shoppingmall security guards that are modelling and are connected to this site but this is the way I think about it)
and will always think that they are right. Problem with this is that if you go into discussion with such guys you only get madder and madder than you were before. if the discussion is over you go home with the feeling that the next time that you see him you are going to kill him wich is also not good because you get in jail for that.

So the best thing you can do is say nothing look straight forward go home and transformate you frustration time in some valuable modelling time you`ll see it works very relaxing. some music in the background (music that you like the most) and within 5 minutes you forgot about those persons that said SH@T about you

these were my two cents Or actually I could better say these were my two dollars (quite a large piece of text

Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:18 PM UTC
Man Robert and lifestyle thank you!...you see it just like we do!...because some guy with a badge on his chest thinks cos we have skaties were gonna be the worst person in the world!...I got two words for people like that!...I have many freinds my age and older who I relate to very well and they dont care what you look like or what kind of hobbie you like or what music you like as long as your who you are and they like who you are...thats the meaning of a true friend!
I just thought I was gonna share my idea on sterio types...you know to see what you guys as modelers think
if anyone eles has any feel free!...

Cris...

P.s bison44 I respect your point of veiw!!!
P.p.s

Quoted Text

In fact i play allot of sports and play them well
which leeds me to the fact that
MODELING IS FOR PIMPS
BRANDENUS PIMPUS

Yeah man you tell em!...I see your veiw!...pimpalicious
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
I've had a recent experience with skateboarders. They weren't punks or anything (I guess) they just looked like normal teenagers (I have a few myself). The guest house at Ft. Lee are sort of like motels set back into the wooded area and have a sidewalk going around the building and the room doors open right onto the sidewalks. These kids were using the sidewalks in front of our rooms to skateboard down since there is a handicap ramp that allows access to the second story. Not a lot of foot traffic or people hanging out on the sidewalk, but quite a few people trying to rest and relax in their rooms. Not easy when a couple of kids are rattling down the ramps and whizzing by your door. Add to this the mandatory exclamations kids make when having good runs. It was quite annoying. Someone did call the lodging security to chase them off. There are other places they could ride their boards. The air force base I live on even has a skateboard park. My 12 yr old uses it often in the summer months.

As far as modeling stereotypes, it seems there is always at least one modeling stereotype. You know the type, poor hygiene, bit of a weight problem. There's been at least one at every modeling club meeting I've ever gone to.

As far as being a nerd. I guess I could technically qualify. I got excellent grades in school, wore glasses, into computers, sci-fi and regular nerdy-type stuff. I have a beautiful wife and played high school football and wrestled for over 15 years. I even went to college on a wrestling scholarship. Hey, do nerds tank?
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC
Rob, for a minute I was going to quote you about the modelling nerd with the wieght problem and ask which meeting of mine you had been at, but then I saw the hygene problem part and realized you were talking about someone else. I am a modelling nerd. I stay home with my wife as much as possible (until we get stir crazy) and work on models whenever I am not doing homework. Now I may not be completely typical, since I don't have a hygene problem, unless you want to consider the fact that it always takes me six months to get a haircut, but I don't mind being stereotyped as a nerd. I mean let's call apples apples. I don't have a life besides school, my wife, the computer, IPMS, and models. Do I mind? Not at all, I am surrounded by the things I love. I cannot get enough of my wife, I have a ball doing the forums with you guys, And I do models, what more could you ask for.

As for the negative stereotype of skaters, well, when one wakes you up at 7 AM on a saturday morning because he's right outside your bedroom window, well, it's very hard to like him. But that is isolated to the one idiot kid who can't respect other peoples desire for solitude. Every group has them, those few numbskulls that can't get it into their heads to try and respect others in some way or other. Skaters, have been gaining some notoriety because of the pot head subculture within the hobby. Unfortunately they get more press because of the bad things they do than the ones who unobtrusively go down to the skate parks in order not to disturb others. We have several skateparks in KC and there are always kids down there in the summer. A lot of the time, their parents will drive them down there, and if they don't they will walk to them. The only kids I ever actually see on their skate boards are the two that live in the dump my wife and I live in. They sit out in the parking lot all day and do not seem to do anything productive, they just make noise. Usually I don't mind, but at 12:30 at night, do you think I appreciate it? Or anyone else for that matter? Cris, if you give me your word you don't do this kind of stuff, I will be your biggest supporter on this forum. I think in any hobby, and indeed in any aspect of life, you need to respect the people around you. I don't paint when my wife is in the room, because the fumes give her a headache (I have long since lost enough brain cells that I no longer get headaches when I paint )

Personally I don't might being stereotyped, because I am fully aware how the stereotypes are both true and untrue. For instance, good skateboarders are also stereotyped as being pretty agile. That's not something I would mind being. I agrre with the others that you should play to your strengths, and ignore the critics. I used to be a security guard, and let me tell you a little about it. First of all, do you think a minimum wage swing shift security guard is going to like anyone or anything? The fake police badge is the only thing empowering them at all. Give them some slack. Without a proper education, that could be you in ten years. My last piece of advice, stay in school. That's to everyone, not just the skaters.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Rob
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 03:00 AM UTC
I don't consider myself a geek. I try and keep my modelling and normal life seperate. Not many of my friends know that I make models, only the closest ones and they think it is interesting especially when I explain what went in to them. As for the stereo-typing, it does exist, hell, I think most modellers are geeks! #:-)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
I think lots of people have stereo typical Ideas about modelling especially anything except full rigged ships. But I honestly believe people have no Idea what they're talking about.Most of My peers here in NY are doctors ,lawyers and indian chiefs. they spend 14-16 hrs. a day obtaining some fantasy goal. inthe mean time their kids barely see them and they definitly can't comprehend the Idea of a leisurely pesuit like modelling. hteir idea of a waste of time. I like life and have always worked so I could live, never lived to work. I gave up work so as I could be a stay at home dad. Love it ,her and my little plastic and resin hobby . At 39 I am quite comfortable with who I am. Stereo types will always be out there some of them cause major pain and hurt. Just you be happy with what you do , gett9ing angry over somone else's shortcomings is a waste of your energy and time.

Josh
Aka Shiryon
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:31 AM UTC
Skaters do get a bad rap, but don't most young people? I remember playing baseball with friends after school and ahving older people honk their horns and yell at us to go home etc etc. I think alot of that is just older people (myself included) don't really understand young people. But skating is a hobby/sport just like baseball and football were for me when i was young, and marbles/jacks/skipping rope were for my parents.
As far as being a nerd, sure I am a nerd. Not because i model, but lets think about it a bit. I spend alot of time pouring through old reference books on WW2. I can spend hours fiddling with a little piece of plastic all by myself and be perfectly happy. I read biographies of people that probably only 10% off the population even remembers. I have great respect for the military and all who serve. I am the guy Rob described at the club meetings, overweight and a little unkept in my lumberjack jacket. But it doesn't bother me. Everyone has to be there own person. Don't worry about what a security guard says about you. Be who you are, when you get older you'll see there is no other way.
By the way, you have a good looking family Rob.
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:54 AM UTC
hey all!...

I was reading this thread and I realised somthing!...Just yesturday I finished my karate training...as usual I was dead tyred and I started to talk to my senseis (teacher)...they asked how I felt now that I had my brown belt...my reply was "its no different!...I am still myself...my belt is just somehting I wear...it means nothing to who I am...its only there to show everyone eles what I have achived."...Then I thought what my friends thought about those people who hate us before they know us because we skate. They said..."who cares what everyone eles thinks?...we are us!...we know who we are!...if they judge us before they know us then their missing out!..."...and its true!...I was born in Romania and then went to South Africa and came to Australia...I have never had friend that stick with each other no matter what everyone eles sais...now about modeling...

I respect it that everyone is proud about what they do!...I to am proud of what i have done! I dont think I could live with out models!!!...if you like who you are then thats whats important!...the term "nerd" is nohting to what you are!...I to read books on weekeneds and read ww2 refernces and acheive well in school!...the bottom line is...if you like your self then thats whats improtant!...

Rtwpsom2
I give you my word of honor I am not the sterio typical skater...(pothead, vandalist that dosent respect my peers or elders)...in fact my karate helps my to respect my peers and elders!...I think before I act and ALWAYS put myself in other peoples shoes!...(deep inside I am a real softy!)...I guess this helps me having close friends...

thanks everyone!...more comments welcome!...

Cris :-)
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:32 PM UTC
Hey cris by the way can we see some of your models
Brandenus pimpus would really like to see your work
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:13 PM UTC
lifestyle...
yeah yeah...I have just finished the basic workshop for my large dio...it still needs some details but the Gaz and the wrokshop are there.
Ill be putting out picks soon
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And that brings me to models...just because we chill and make things that dosent mean we have no life!...

Hmm.. that stereotype fits me perfectly! :-)

Bummer...

It's Friday night. I'm here alone. Reading up on ArmoramA and making plans for my scratchbuild. I don't have much of a problem being a self labeled 'social recluse', but I wouldn't mind going out and doing stuff with people.
Maybe in my college years....

YodaMan

lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 03:35 PM UTC
I'm sorry yadaman
Brandenus Pimpus
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 02:44 AM UTC
I was the anti-sterio-type in my teen/twenties.I was a Druggy/Jock and popular.Don't worry,I have since coformed to the norm but,as a teenager,I was the reason for the profiling the cops do now.I have tried to keep a objective view of teenagers today.I start with the view that each one is his own person and starts with the same grade.What they do and who they "hang" with is how they either strengthen or destroy the amount of respect I have for them.I have 4 kids and I am sorry to say that when it comes to the sterio-typing I do now,it goes this way;I would rather sterio-type a group(skateboarders/hip-hopsters/pants around the knees/too old/too young etc)and miss the one good apple,than put my children at risk.I say this because of a resent experience.A skateboarding teeenager who lives here,next door,worked his way into our lives.Thought he was a good apple.3 nights ago he got stabbed and there was a gun fight outside our home because he "Dis-ed" someone! Ihad fights as a teenager but,GUNFIGHT? Because I had my own opinion?That is pure CRAP!!!!! CRAP!!!!
I tell you what I felt....I would have gone out and shot them for something more important than my feelings!MY CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!
Now,before I get chastized,I would not sterio-type anyone one-on-one.Just me and them,they have a clean slate.Yet,with my kids around,you better blieve I will steer my family away from certain groups.I don't think skateboards are bad.Nope,not at all.I hear indescriminate foul language being thrown around to impress each other ,and they drop a notch on the respect scale.
I also figure,with some of the videos I've seen,they are just going to kill themselves(dentist anyone?!!)
As for modelling sterio-types,Tyra banks is at least in the top 5 and not an airhead.She deserves th.......huh?...what?.....OH!Err.....The geek thing is soooooo wrong.There are Army personel,computer engineer,Carpenters,truckdrivers and so much more in here that that proves it wrong.It is a diverse world and I like mine just the way it is,EARN RESPECT & YOU WILL HAVE RESPECT!!!!!!!!
Don't take me wrong Gatekeeper,your still young,and I'm not saying you are "bad" or "wrong".And it isn't because I'm "older" or "wiser" that I say any of this.I'm still young(Because of all the preservatives in my food).but when I was younger I felt like you.I tell you know,I would NEVER let my children around someone like me when I was a kid.Give it time and a family,you would feel the same way.Don't take offense to this,just brew on it.
(:-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC
First let me apologize to anyone I may have offended with my comments. I don't mind unkept, it's the ones with fairly offensive body odor that are particularly puzzling. Deodorant costs less than a bottle of paint and lasts for months. In basic training we used to have to scrub down some guys. Same in football practice in high school.
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 12:42 PM UTC
Omg I am a clean freak couldnt live without a bottle of lysol have two hany sized ones in my car #:-) #:-) #:-)
Brandenus Pimpus
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 02:10 AM UTC
Few quick comments: I actually have a Star Trek uniform in the closet. Had it made for a Halloween party. I was going to put it on and post a pic but alas, my wife wouldn't let me. Second, and this is true, the last model contest I went to the wife was wandering checking things out. When she came back she said, "Man, some of these guys need to come up out of the basement and hit the shower once in a while." And then there is the "model first aid station" incident which is too funny and long to relate here.

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.../... I enjoy scented candles, doesn't mean I am a woman! I just really you know into aromatheropy, it soothes my mind, and with some Kenny-G, and maybe a bubble bath......Or Crap! I am a woman! #:-)

Ouch, Dave ! Are you sure you only enjoy the scent of candles or are you sniffing and smoking other goodies too before you post here ? #:-)
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:40 AM UTC
Weeed it does a body good
Better then milk milk kills u
Brandenus Pimpus
 _GOTOTOP