TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
My novel's finally published!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi, everybody. I thought I'd share with you folks the fact that I'm finally a published author. I had worked on this book for seven months and finished it in 2003. It hit the shelves in November last year and is selling pretty decently. It's fiction, and is a military/political thriller that I'm sure many of you would enjoy.

Here's a short synopsis:

Quoted Text

The basic tale is timeless; of brave men and women fighting for a cause unworthy of their courage. A terrorist attack of world-shaking proportions blasts open this tale of a Sri Lankan terror group with a deadly secret it desperately wants to hide. Hunted by special forces, the terrorists take Sri Lanka’s war to the streets of Europe and North America. Highly-trained killers race against the clock and each other as violent strategies unfold at heart-stopping speed. Car bombs, high-level
assassinations, and an international hijack stun the world, while an Indian naval task force brings Sri Lanka and South Asia to the brink of total war. And at the centre of it all, the spy masters on both sides pull their strings in a fast-paced, tightly-woven novel guarranteed to
keep you racing long into the night.

If you want to read an excerpt, go here: http://www.writeclique.net/work.php?ID=3322

Here are a few critical comments:

"...This is an intriguing, convincing, very professionally written
political thriller."
-- Ruwanthi de Chickera, playwright

"...Blacker dares to write of the fine grey line between the black
and white of modern terrorist and counter-terrorist operations..."
-- Arjuna Gunawardene, author of 'Dying to Kill -- A History of Suicide Terrorism'

"...Groundbreaking in the context of Sri Lankan English
literature... A breathtaking piece of writing..."
-- Richard Boyle, the Oxford English Dictionary

"Punctilious attention to detail with regard to context... I have
not come across a work by a Sri Lankan author like it."
-- Dr Paikiasothy Saravanamuttu, the Centre for Policy Alternatives

If anyone wants to buy the book, it's available at : http://www.ph-books.com/# which I recommend. It's the publisher's site, and while it's not so user-friendly (you have to email your request) it'll probably reach you faster. You can also get it here: http://www.vijithayapa.com//pdesceription.php?id=23177 which is a online bookshop.

Thanks for looking, guys, I just had to tell Armorama about it!
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:21 AM UTC
thats good ae.you should try for articles for a model magazine
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, everybody. I thought I'd share with you folks the fact that I'm finally a published author. I had worked on this book for seven months and finished it in 2003. It hit the shelves in November last year and is selling pretty decently. It's fiction, and is a military/political thriller that I'm sure many of you would enjoy.

Here's a short synopsis:

Quoted Text

The basic tale is timeless; of brave men and women fighting for a cause unworthy of their courage. A terrorist attack of world-shaking proportions blasts open this tale of a Sri Lankan terror group with a deadly secret it desperately wants to hide. Hunted by special forces, the terrorists take Sri Lanka’s war to the streets of Europe and North America. Highly-trained killers race against the clock and each other as violent strategies unfold at heart-stopping speed. Car bombs, high-level
assassinations, and an international hijack stun the world, while an Indian naval task force brings Sri Lanka and South Asia to the brink of total war. And at the centre of it all, the spy masters on both sides pull their strings in a fast-paced, tightly-woven novel guarranteed to
keep you racing long into the night.

If you want to read an excerpt, go here: http://www.writeclique.net/work.php?ID=3322

Here are a few critical comments:

"...This is an intriguing, convincing, very professionally written
political thriller."
-- Ruwanthi de Chickera, playwright

"...Blacker dares to write of the fine grey line between the black
and white of modern terrorist and counter-terrorist operations..."
-- Arjuna Gunawardene, author of 'Dying to Kill -- A History of Suicide Terrorism'

"...Groundbreaking in the context of Sri Lankan English
literature... A breathtaking piece of writing..."
-- Richard Boyle, the Oxford English Dictionary

"Punctilious attention to detail with regard to context... I have
not come across a work by a Sri Lankan author like it."
-- Dr Paikiasothy Saravanamuttu, the Centre for Policy Alternatives

If anyone wants to buy the book, it's available at : http://www.ph-books.com/# which I recommend. It's the publisher's site, and while it's not so user-friendly (you have to email your request) it'll probably reach you faster. You can also get it here: http://www.vijithayapa.com//pdesceription.php?id=23177 which is a online bookshop.

Thanks for looking, guys, I just had to tell Armorama about it!

Hi Dave
Congratulations bro...
err i dont know u're into book writing as well...
this is another milestone in your carrier man..

and u got photo of you in the cover...

cool dude!!!

maybe u can make a special authograph for all of us here at armorama.......
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC
Congratulations David!
How long have you been dabbling in the literary world? If only I read more this would take my fancy, but at the moment all I seem to read is research for a build I'm undertaking... (Which isn't a bad thing though;)
Cheers and happy sales
Brad
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:24 PM UTC
Thanks, guys. Matt, my knowledge of modelling isn't as good as my knowledge of modern special forces, so modelling articles will have to wait!

Bradley, this is my first novel. I have written some advertising copy over the years, but nothing like this.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:30 PM UTC
Congratulations David, When I saw the Cover picture, I thought "I have seen that some where before" now I mght have seen the book or then again it could be your banner playing with me. I will keep a look out for the book.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 04:52 PM UTC
Thanks, Andrew. Probably my banner you've seen. The book's not available in bookshops outside Sri Lanka & India at the moment, though it might be in Oz soon. So international sales are coming from online buying. It's a local publisher who hasn't much international clout, but I hope to interest a British publisher once I move to Europe in April. Wish me luck.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
Hi David

Congratulations well done.

I enjoyed the excerpt that was available.

I have toyed with the idea of trying something like this you have inspired me. I have a broad outline of structure plot and characters etc but I have never acted upon it all. My idea is in more of a historical context as opposed to a modern one.

Do you have any hints, recommendations etc for someone considering this type of undertaking?

Regards

Sean
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:15 PM UTC
Congratulations with the publishing of your book. Must be quite a thrill, to see your name on the cover of a book.
Have you got plans for another book?

Good luck with your European "campaign"
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:33 PM UTC
Congratulations David. You now have a form of imortality. Long after you're gone somebody might read this book and have a look into your soul. To them your name will live, and so will you.

umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi there David!

Congrats on the publishing of your book. I must say the plot in your book sounds rather interesting.

Will the book be avaliable in South East Asia in the near future?

Once again... great job!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have toyed with the idea of trying something like this you have inspired me. I have a broad outline of structure plot and characters etc but I have never acted upon it all. My idea is in more of a historical context as opposed to a modern one.

Do you have any hints, recommendations etc for someone considering this type of undertaking?

Well, having a broad structure of the plot and character is a good start, Sean. Took me about 10 days to plan it out. What took 7 months was to join the dots, and that's where your skills will be tested, to flesh things out so that it's interesting and gripping rather than a dry commentary. My advice is, get on with it. It's like a build, you can look at the instructions for only so long! And don't be discouraged.

What historical period are you looking at?

Quoted Text

Congratulations with the publishing of your book. Must be quite a thrill, to see your name on the cover of a book.
Have you got plans for another book?

It is quite thrilling and inspiring, Jesper. And yes, I have plans for another novel, which I'm researching for now. Will probably start writing in April or May once I'm in Germany and unemployed once more!

Quoted Text

Congratulations David. You now have a form of imortality. Long after you're gone somebody might read this book and have a look into your soul. To them your name will live, and so will you.

Thanks, Roger. But as long as people enjoy the book, I'll be happy, who wants to live forever?

Quoted Text

Will the book be avaliable in South East Asia in the near future?

Only through online stores (check the links I've provided) for the moment, JM. If I hook up with a big publisher, it'll be available worldwide, but I'm still working on that.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi David

Thanks for the advice its appreciated.

I am looking at WW2 and a series of novels spanning 1939 to 1945.

The aim at the start would be to structure each novel and its characters out over the complete period. As the characters as a fighting unit proceed though the war from campaign to campaign in a historical context and experience the various challenges and successes etc.

I will have to throw in some romance as well I suppose LOL

Do one and the flow it into the next one so each novel and its characters all build together from 1939 to 1945 as a complete and structured journey as it were.

Thats the broad outline of the plan anyway.

Regards

Sean
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats the broad outline of the plan anyway.

Sounds promising. Yup, throwing in some romance, flashbacks to homelife, a female's perspective, etc, will make sure your writing reaches a wider audience than just the military enthusiast. In other words, people outside the 'boys club'.

The Band of Brothers TV series is a good model on how to manage characters. Not all of them appear throughout, but move in and out like actors on a stage.

Have you done any writing before? If not, have a look at as many diverse people as you can, and try to see life through their eyes. This'll help you make your characters into real people as opposed to the 2D personalities that bad novels are full of.

Good luck, mate!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 05:05 PM UTC
Hi David

Thanks for your advice.

You have sparked a catalyst in my mind I think I will start playing around with the ideas this year and start formulating them.

Regards

Sean
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:11 AM UTC
Congratualtions, while I'm not much for fiction, I just might have to try this one out!
HauntedPen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 05:05 AM UTC
Congratulations, Dave!

Thanks for the advice.

I've dabbled a bit in short fiction, myself--mostly horror and a bit of fantasy. I started a novel a few years back, but let it go unfinished at the time. I hadn't done much planning beforehand and had written myself into a corner. Lately, though, I've been thinking of having another go at it. Seeing another writer make it is always inspiring.

Again, congratulations!

Steve K.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

while I'm not much for fiction, I just might have to try this one out!

Please do, mate. Aside from the 7.5% :-) I make on each copy sold, I'm eager for as many people as possible to read it.

Quoted Text

Lately, though, I've been thinking of having another go at it.

Go for it, Steve!