_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Where to find a Pyrogravure
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have been trying to source a pyrogravure for sometime as Historex have discontinued theirs due to the manufacturer changing hands and the tool then becoming prone to an unacceptable failure rate.

Can anybody suggest a supplier? Preferably in the UK, but notwithstanding that I will consider somewhere else if that is my only choice.

Looking forward to more detectives helping me in my quest.

John
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 04:27 AM UTC
Historex UK use to have them.....
here's the link to their site:

http://www.historexagents.com/

It's under Pyrogravure.... naturally... but in a PDF file.
tells you all about it, how to use it, how to order it.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
Interesting tool. What sort of temperature does it operate at?
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:23 AM UTC
Historex has stopped selling the current batch due to quality so hence my question.

As to the temperature if I can ever lay my hands on one I will find out, but they seem like 'hens teeth'[ to find.

John
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:14 AM UTC
John, over here on this side of the pond, I made my own, using a radio shack cheap ass 2 wattage 15/30 watts, soldering iron. It has replaceable tips, and a few minutes at the desk grinder at work yield several smaller, and thinner tips of various shapes to use. The soldering iron cost me about $15.00US at the time, replacement tips are about $3.00 and I use a home made rheostat set up for more temperature control, the same set up I use for my Dremil speed control.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John, over here on this side of the pond, I made my own, using a radio shack cheap ass 2 wattage 15/30 watts, soldering iron. It has replaceable tips, and a few minutes at the desk grinder at work yield several smaller, and thinner tips of various shapes to use. The soldering iron cost me about $15.00US at the time, replacement tips are about $3.00 and I use a home made rheostat set up for more temperature control, the same set up I use for my Dremil speed control.

Thanks Dave, I shall have a look at that idea and more than likely give it a go.

Regards,

John
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:33 PM UTC
Dave is on it. I also bought a cheap "wood burning" kit at Wal-Mart for about $15. Has about 6 tip included. The handy tip in the one that holds X-Acto knife blades. I use that tip with various blades for everything from hot knifing zimmerit to cutting small parts of the sprue.
Link to what I am rambling on about:

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2420

Shaun
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I have been trying to source a pyrogravure for sometime as Historex have discontinued theirs due to the manufacturer changing hands and the tool then becoming prone to an unacceptable failure rate.

Can anybody suggest a supplier? Preferably in the UK, but notwithstanding that I will consider somewhere else if that is my only choice.

Looking forward to more detectives helping me in my quest.

John

Hi John,

Saw one of these in downtown Bielefeld today for €17 and remembered this thread. If you're interested give me a shout and I'll get it for you. Post via BFPO will be the same as UK postage.

Regards

Murdo.
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 04:05 AM UTC
A more expensive route..

If you have a requirement for a decent soldering iron as well, get one with adjustable temp control. I have a very nice (and possibly expensive) one I got for Xmas for working on RC Cars (Quit that money drain of a hobby). I just turn the temp right down and it works on plastic just fine though I haven't done Zimm I have done weld beads with it.

Martyn
 _GOTOTOP