Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
New Year - new reading
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 04:04 PM UTC
Must be time to resurrect the 'What are we all reading' thread.

Mine is 'A dragon apparent' by Norman Lewis, about his travels round French Indochina around 1950. Picked it up after seeing it mentioned in Martin Windrow's Dien Bien Phu book 'The last valley' Have spotted several bits than Windrow used already.

When watching Apocalypse Now I always wondered about the authenticity of the buffalo killing scene and something similar appears in Lewis' book. Though in the book the buffalo takes a lot longer to succumb.

Interesting read picked up dead cheap in the Works - £3.99 for a trilogy of Lewis' travel books under one cover.

Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
I am currently reading The Sling and the Stone: On War in the 21st Century by Col. Thomas X. Hammes, USMC. It outlines the evolution of warfare, paying particular attention to 4 Generation Warfare (small, independent units operating against larger, technically superior enemies).
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 03:28 AM UTC
I recently picked up No True Glory by Bing West, its an account of the Battle for Fallujah, read his book The March Up, so I thought that this couldn't be bad at all, so far so good
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:48 AM UTC
I'm also reading "No True Glory" - very good so far. Just finished "With Warriors in Iraq"...good, but I had a hard time getting into it. Seemed to me to be a bit disjointed-just my opinion.

I've got a bunch on deck- "Roberts Ridge"-Malcolm McPherson, "My War" -Colby Buzell, "Storm on the Horizon" (Battle of Khafji-ODS)-David Morris, "In the Company of Heroes" -Michael Durant, "One Bullet Away" -Nathaniel Fick and if I can ever find it "Ambush Alley" -Tim Pritchard.

Also looming out there are "The Big E" -Stafford, I read it many years ago, and some other WWII Pacific Theater history.

Now if I can just win the Lotto so I have enough time to read AND build!

Jim
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC
'Chasm City'.... by Alastair Reynolds. Fantastic read if you're into hard sci-fi (space opera). Half-way through it, I went out to my local book store, and bought the rest of his books!

Frank
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC
HI, Right now some heavy political reading on the Am.
Civil War era. "Team or Rivals" The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln-- by D.K. Goodwin. Kind of dull reading, typical of all politics, but it does give a good insight into Lincoln and his cabinet members and their pursuit of the war from their perspective. Over half way done now and all looking forward to finishing it up. But all in all, it is a really good read for just another outlook on this particular period of Am. history.

Take care, Larry
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm also reading "No True Glory" - very good so far. Just finished "With Warriors in Iraq"...good, but I had a hard time getting into it. Seemed to me to be a bit disjointed-just my opinion.

I just got done with.."Mutiny" first 2 chapters, the first few were soo....hmph haha, just political mumbo jumbo...I know its important, but I like to cut to the chase :-)
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:13 PM UTC
Reading 'UnknownSoldier' by Gerald Seymour. Also, 'The Lord of the Rings', and Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons'