_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Dragon's 1/16 Scale Forian Geyer
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:07 PM UTC
Hi everyone !

Since I sell Dragon and Tamiya kits it's only natural I build mostly models from these manufacturers and thought why not attempt to do a review of what I build. Who knows, it could be informative to those who intend to have a go at them. Here's a pic of DML's 1/16 scale German Cavalry Division "Florian Geyer" which is still hot from my workbench.

This kit is molded in grey and has 50 parts including a black plastic pedestal base for the built up model. It is currently unavailable from me so I can't quote the price.

The horse's mane, ears and inner thighs of the hind legs come in two separate parts respectively and some filling and sanding was required. The rider's head comes in back and front halves and no putty is needed since they join along the helmet's chin strap. The neck has an obvious joint line when attached to the body and planning ahead is advisable whether you want to glue it on first or paint the face first because work on this tougher to reach area can be a chore. I opted for the latter. I figured that the camouflaged smock has no natural stitch seam on the shoulders so I filled and sanded the arms joints. Sub-assemblies are the three parts which make up the rifle and four for the gas mask cannister. Construction was straightforward and the single sheet instructions included colored painting guide with Gunze and Italeri paint codes. I didn't follow this exactly and allowed my artistic license and common sense to take over.

No reins, rifle sling, stirrup strap or saddle bag sling for positioning over the horse were included. These had to be scratchbuilt and so was the hook thingys ( is this called the "bit" ? ) connecting the reins to the bridle. This I fashioned from wire with the use of a plier. I managed to make both look indentical at the expense of sore fingers. They were fashioned after Tamiya's 1/35 scale Mounted Werhmacht Infantry kit parts as examples. No scale measurements were taken into consideration but they looked right to me so I let it go at that. Ammo pouches comes in six separate pieces and the rest of the parts are molded in the same fashion as DML's 1/35 scale German figures.

After the base coat was applied ( I air-brushed pre shades on both the figure and horse ) I gave the smock an oil wash and worked the other large surfaces entirely in Windsor and Newton's artist oils like an oil painting in 3D. Details were later picked out by a brush and dry brushing. As usual a final flat coat was applied to seal in the goodies.

I didn't time myself with this build so I can't really say how long I took. It was touch and go as and when I felt like it but it did seem to take a long time mainly because I had to work on two large figures.

So there you have it fellas. Hope this is useful to anyone who wishes to build this kit. I welcome critism both on the model and my feeble attempt at reviewing a kit.

Best Regards
Patrick
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:53 AM UTC
Patrick,
first, welcome back..long time no see ...

thanks for the review... i have the 1/35th version of this fig..hehe but i think the review might help others as well.

I like the color tone of the horse. the horse eyes' look real la bro.. so does the figure.

well done Patrick... and thanks once again for the review. Maybe u can send the review to armorama...
seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:43 AM UTC
Nice one.. It serves as an inspiration for others to improve on their build/painting skills

sllim
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:48 AM UTC
hi patrick. the first thing that caught the eye is the horse... it was nicely done. as sil mentioned, its eyes are very realistic, though the skin tones IMO are maybe a bit overdone on the washing.... looks a bit more like a cloth than an animal skin.... but still one of the best-looking model horse i've seen so far.

the soldier's camo are well done too. any pics on the other sides? i can't see the rifle sling too...

excellent job overall patrick.... is it goint to be on a dio/ base?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:57 AM UTC
Yeeehaa.....that's the first thought that hit me. Second was darn, just when I thought I was getting closer to figuring out face painting and some smart alec has to come along and set the bar even higher. Its even worse when I think this well painted face was done by someone in smelly Apek shorts. All I can say the secret are the shorts rather than what's in them. Okay Patrick you've got me sold, where do I buy the pair of shorts?

The preshading came out extremely well on the horse. If I was forced to make a comment under the threat of death I would have to say the pants(not yours of course) and the backpack on horse's butt. It appears to be drybrushed which at 1/16 is really tricky. Personally I would have liked to see some more highs and shadows on the pants but what heck do I know as I don't even use oils. Mind you of course this are comments under the threat of death.

I'm totally agree with Zaidi that you should post this at least under Figures if not write a review in the Features section. It would be a waste if you don't.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.........smelly Apek shorts...

hehe... everybody should have one la...

moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its even worse when I think this well painted face was done by someone in smelly Apek shorts. All I can say the secret are the shorts rather than what's in them. Okay Patrick you've got me sold, where do I buy the pair of shorts?

:-) :-) :-)
perhaps patrick can donate some of his... errrr... used 'items'... ehem.... do you have them in size 36?
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
Thanks Sil, See Liang and Jimbo.

My camera never does justice to the subjects I shoot. Anything a few mm "out of range" and it gets blurry. I have to use measurements if I want to get the sharpest shot possible. The horse's head is slightly nearer the camera than the rider's face hence it's details are sharper. To keep it short, the shading etc on the actual model is more distinct and the viewer can really pick out what I've done with the oils.

Jimbo, you can see the rifle sling if you check out the other pics of this model in my gallery. It's on a simple base but if I were to shoot the whole figure everything gets blurry. I can take 1/35s complete but this is just too big for my just too cheap camera. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the horse. Sometimes certain areas gets overdone. This can happen when I become so engrossed that I don't know when to stop and sometimes it's to compensate for the quality ( or rather the lack of it ) of my pics. Too subtle with the oils and it doesn't come out that well. Btw, the horse was pre shaded, base coated then blended over with oils. No wash here.

Sil, I didn't stay away that long, did I ? Wrote a reply to the buying compressor topic not too long ago. And if you're checking out the replies here again, I'm still interested in your early production Tiger. Can you email me pics of what you have assembled so far ? Do try and contact me soon coz payday's just round the corner. I forgot. How much are we looking at ?

Once again thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys. Would love to see you fellas post a few pics here more often.

Regards
Patrick

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Sil, See Liang and Jimbo.

My camera never does justice to the subjects I shoot. Anything a few mm "out of range" and it gets blurry. I have to use measurements if I want to get the sharpest shot possible. The horse's head is slightly nearer the camera than the rider's face hence it's details are sharper. To keep it short, the shading etc on the actual model is more distinct and the viewer can really pick out what I've done with the oils.

Jimbo, you can see the rifle sling if you check out the other pics of this model in my gallery. It's on a simple base but if I were to shoot the whole figure everything gets blurry. I can take 1/35s complete but this is just too big for my just too cheap camera. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the horse. Sometimes certain areas gets overdone. This can happen when I become so engrossed that I don't know when to stop and sometimes it's to compensate for the quality ( or rather the lack of it ) of my pics. Too subtle with the oils and it doesn't come out that well. Btw, the horse was pre shaded, base coated then blended over with oils. No wash here.

Sil, I didn't stay away that long, did I ? Wrote a reply to the buying compressor topic not too long ago. And if you're checking out the replies here again, I'm still interested in your early production Tiger. Can you email me pics of what you have assembled so far ? Do try and contact me soon coz payday's just round the corner. I forgot. How much are we looking at ?

Once again thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys. Would love to see you fellas post a few pics here more often.

Regards
Patrick

Patrick, that tiger 1 is still waiting for you la ...
i dont have pictures of 'him' but i can say that the model is completely assembled. but i left the wheels unassamble and the tracks too.....
i try to email u but still rejected la bro...

HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:50 AM UTC
Aaahh....the Bum at last. I was wondering when you're going to show up. OK shorts first. Mine are not apek shorts. They're football shorts with either a Man Utd or England crest on them. They have to be made of cotton so's to allow for some air...if you get my drift....oooo, that didn't come out right, did it ? You can buy them anywhere as long as you iron on the crests. These patches can be bought at any pasar malam stall which sells pirated EPL merchandise. Just make sure they're either Utd or England. The "seasoning" is up to you.

Anyway, thanks CK for your usually unusual kind words. And just how do I post this pic elsewhere ? I do not have enough space allowed on my account and how will this affect it ? The Malaysian community forum is the only place I know.

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aaahh....the Bum at last. I was wondering when you're going to show up. OK shorts first. Mine are not apek shorts. They're football shorts with either a Man Utd or England crest on them. They have to be made of cotton so's to allow for some air...if you get my drift....oooo, that didn't come out right, did it ? You can buy them anywhere as long as you iron on the crests. These patches can be bought at any pasar malam stall which sells pirated EPL merchandise. Just make sure they're either Utd or England. The "seasoning" is up to you.

Anyway, thanks CK for your usually unusual kind words. And just how do I post this pic elsewhere ? I do not have enough space allowed on my account and how will this affect it ? The Malaysian community forum is the only place I know.

Patrick,

here's a guide on how to add review to this site
Write Review

btw, thanks for the tips on the pants....mine doesnt have any EPL markings....
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:01 AM UTC
Sil
You may send me a personal message through this forum with payment and postage details. Best would be I pay-in funds into your a/c. You have MBB ? You can also SMS me the a/c number and payment details.
Another option would be to exchange kits. What interests you ? Armor aircraft or figures ? Hope to hear from you soon.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:12 AM UTC
Thanks Sil. I'll try and figure out how to submit the review when I can really sit down for it. Still cacat with the computer.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:22 AM UTC
patrick, check ur PM
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:44 AM UTC
From one computer cacat apek to another, actually you could write a review as Zaidi pointed out or the other is just write another post by clicking on the Figures section in the Forum. Write a fresh new post as you would do here and paste the same image as you did here. No additional gallery space required as the new post will just access your gallery. Hope that makes sense.

I'm about to go for lunch so I'm trying very hard to get rid of the image of your most distasteful shorts and the horror that lurks within. I'll just think of Naomi Watts, Ashley Judd, Julianne Moore and Marisa Tomei.

BTW since you're here its obvious you can't be doing much work. There I thought only my company pays idiots like me who don't do any real work. Besides I'm still waiting for some harsh criticism from you on my face painting.

Take care my friend and do post in the Figure forum. Might help business.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:56 AM UTC
Sil
I've replied to your PM. Check it out and hopefully we can conclude this soon.

HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From one computer cacat apek to another, actually you could write a review as Zaidi pointed out or the other is just write another post by clicking on the Figures section in the Forum. Write a fresh new post as you would do here and paste the same image as you did here. No additional gallery space required as the new post will just access your gallery. Hope that makes sense.

I'm about to go for lunch so I'm trying very hard to get rid of the image of your most distasteful shorts and the horror that lurks within. I'll just think of Naomi Watts, Ashley Judd, Julianne Moore and Marisa Tomei.

BTW since you're here its obvious you can't be doing much work. There I thought only my company pays idiots like me who don't do any real work. Besides I'm still waiting for some harsh criticism from you on my face painting.

Take care my friend and do post in the Figure forum. Might help business.

I'm still cacat about the zip file thingy Zaidi mentioned. Gotta take some time for me to figure this out and when I finally make sense of it all............aiyo....

Thinking of them girls will be worse coz washing pants is more of a chore than washing shorts.........And Marisa Tomei ? My favs are Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer "Elektra" Garner and Karen Mok ( minus the shaggy cocker spaniel look ).

No harsh citicism is forthcoming coz your figures' faces are good. Don't forget mine is 1/16 and easy to work on. Can't compare with 1/35s. My recent ones in that smaller scale are the figures on the SAS jeep and as you can see I've not "set the bar higher".

Most of the "regulars" are here too so I guess our bosses are schmucks. It's either that or we're just expert dodgers and goof off artists. As Alfred E Neuman would say, "what me worry".......
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:47 AM UTC
The speed of the Internet here at the office is even slower than it takes me to finish one of my reports at work. Considering my work output the internet is super slooooooow.

Anyway to avoid going off topic as after all were here to talk about your "horse", but what's wrong with Marisa Tomei. She's as cute as a button, no she's more cute. Karen Mok, now that is a wonder. Ain't she a wee bit on the skinny side. Jennifer Garner a bit too boyish physique for me. Jennifer Love Hewitt okay but so far I'm still reserving my favorite list to the abovementioned ladies. To each his own I suppose.

Back to business the SAS Jeep was well done. You can't do much for the figures coz the moulding was really poor to begin with. Its like the DML head I painted (the barehead guy in the pic with 5 heads). It came with the extra sprue off one of their aniversary sets. Man, even a Chinese has more cheek bones than that head and that's considering most Chinese have flat faces. Of course mine was run over by a truck masking my otherwise "European Mid-Eastern' features.
seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:07 PM UTC
It is good to read a little bit of review of the kit/model. I think all of us should write a little review on our final model when we stick the final pictures in the 'current work in progress'.

Zaidi, i know that you bought the Dragon's Gen 2 figures .Perhaps you could write something about them next time.

sllim
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is good to read a little bit of review of the kit/model. I think all of us should write a little review on our final model when we stick the final pictures in the 'current work in progress'.

Zaidi, i know that you bought the Dragon's Gen 2 figures .Perhaps you could write something about them next time.

sllim

Lim.
the gen2 figs dah reviewed here at armorama by Jim and Vinnie...
maybe i could do some home review instead...

maybe when i have time la bro..

HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:45 PM UTC
Glad you have positive things to say about the SAS jeep CK. Yep, the details on the figures were lacking in this old kit. Almost nothing on the uniforms compared today's quality figures. Speaking of which and since See Liang mentioned the Gen2 figures, I'd sure like to see what's offered in the kit box. So Sil, if you're too busy to do a review of the built up figures, why not a pic of the contents/parts and a few words about them ? Pretty please.....? I think many of us have yet to see how these new Gen2 are like and it'll be informative to these wanting to give them a go.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad you have positive things to say about the SAS jeep CK. Yep, the details on the figures were lacking in this old kit. Almost nothing on the uniforms compared today's quality figures. Speaking of which and since See Liang mentioned the Gen2 figures, I'd sure like to see what's offered in the kit box. So Sil, if you're too busy to do a review of the built up figures, why not a pic of the contents/parts and a few words about them ? Pretty please.....? I think many of us have yet to see how these new Gen2 are like and it'll be informative to these wanting to give them a go.

Patrick,

i bought both the set 1 and 2 of the new DML gen2 series. (and in the near future the 3rd set ..the 4th set was also available but i think i will skip that....)

ok la, i will do the review sometimes this weekend....
will get back to you....

in the mean time, u can visit pmms wonderful review website..they have review on the first and 3rd set of the gen2 series.......

till then
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:38 AM UTC
Gentlemen as our Boss mentioned, there are some very informative writeups on the Gen 2 figs in the Reviews section with very nice closeups pics. As for owning them I have only the Fallschirmjager kit. Unfortunately I haven't started on them although I've painted some of the accessories. I can't say anything on the fit of the figs thus far but I can say the following:

1. If you thought DML makes great weapons before in their older kits, this kit will still suprise you. The MP 44 is the best I've even seen. The slide model technology is interesting but its the moulding on the main body of the gun that blows me away. Heck you can even see the return spring on the MG 34. The bullets on the MG 34 belt are in a class of their own.
2. The acccessories such as bread bags, knives and magazine cases are above average. Pity some of the details will be masked as you attached them as they will be overlapping each other on the figure.
3. Since I bought the Fallshrimjager and they do have a fair bit of badges I have to say the PE badges given are just unbelievable. Just make sure you clear everything on your work desk, don't do work over carpets and cut very delicately.
4. In true DML tradition, lots of spares. Enough accessories to arm at least 6 if not 8 figs.
5. Figs are having 1st. pattern smock which is good for anything upto 1942 where by then most of the paras had switched to 2nd. pattern which was already present much earlier during Crete. If not for wear and tear it was easier to pee in the 2nd. smock.

Downside if any would be the PE parts are small but then they have to be considering what they represent. There's still seam lines but generally minimal. Faces are much better though expression-wise good but not great. My only real complaint is their size. It will be very difficult to pose these figs with Verlinden or Kirin or the very very old DML kits. With Tamiya it may be okay

As I mentioned my thread on the 'Status Update' this is a set for anyone into Figures but don't want to pay resin prices to get resin detail. WIll post some pics if I get round to fixing them but it may take a while as after Ramcke (figs & vehicle almost done, base not done) I'll be doing a Arnhem vignette.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:33 PM UTC
Sil,

Where is this pmms review website ? Can you please guide a PC cacat there ? Thanks for the response to our requests for a review. Hope to see it soon.

Regards
Patrick
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
Beachy,

Great write up on the Gen2 figures. I can now at least picture what to expect without actually opening up the kit box. All sounds great ( drool, drool ) to me and I will definitely choose one from that range to try out. If they're smaller and compatible to Tamiya, all the better coz I go for Tamiya armor and for figures I prefer DML.
My choice of manufacturers for aircraft are Tamiya, Hasegawa and Academy, in that order. Anyway, from where can I get to choose a set of these figures ? My DML supplier hasn't got them yet. There's none to be found in Penang's only hobby store and I have no idea what Gen2 kits the KL stores carry. Anyone can FWD me an online catalog or more information ?

Regards
Patrick
 _GOTOTOP